Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:14 am

CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST (1980) 
Site Admin

Post Re: CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST (1980)
smoothadora wrote:
James also says there is nothing unsettling about this film and it is ordinary. I again would disagree. The authenticity and the sense of being lost and trapped in the dense Amazon jungle combined with the realism of scenes (although i 100% am against the real animal killings) is quite unsettling.

I never got a strong sense of being lost in the Amazon jungle. Never felt the claustrophobia, the hopelessness, the sheer terror that accompanies it. Maybe it's the structure but, as I noted in the review, this doesn't come close to AGUIRRE in that department.

Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:40 pm
Profile WWW
Critic

James Berardinelli wrote:
smoothadora wrote:
James also says there is nothing unsettling about this film and it is ordinary. I again would disagree. The authenticity and the sense of being lost and trapped in the dense Amazon jungle combined with the realism of scenes (although i 100% am against the real animal killings) is quite unsettling.

I never got a strong sense of being lost in the Amazon jungle. Never felt the claustrophobia, the hopelessness, the sheer terror that accompanies it. Maybe it's the structure but, as I noted in the review, this doesn't come close to AGUIRRE in that department.

Okay, true, but Aguirre the Wrath of God is one of the greatest movies ever made. So there might be some middle ground here.

Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:30 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
Okay, true, but Aguirre the Wrath of God is one of the greatest movies ever made. So there might be some middle ground here.

Very true. However, overall I'm with James on CH: it's not so much that it's not good as it's not all that interesting, shocking or challenging. I didn't find it unsettling at all... The Ruins was a scarier for me in establishing a spooky "lost in the Amazon" vibe. To each his own, of course.

Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:44 pm
Critic

Shade wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

Very true. However, overall I'm with James on CH: it's not so much that it's not good as it's not all that interesting, shocking or challenging. I didn't find it unsettling at all... The Ruins was a scarier for me in establishing a spooky "lost in the Amazon" vibe. To each his own, of course.

The Ruins is set in Mexico, but yeah I see your point

Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:05 pm
Quote:
Haven't seen either (yet). SALO will be my next video review.

CH and Salo sound like the cinematic equivalents of self-harming to me. Martyrs is really the only genuinely disturbing film I have ever seen (and I am not even slightly squeamish), and can't really say I want to experience anything like that again.

Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:13 am
Site Admin

Nitrium wrote:
Quote:

CH and Salo sound like the cinematic equivalents of self-harming to me. Martyrs is really the only genuinely disturbing film I have ever seen (and I am not even slightly squeamish), and can't really say I want to experience anything like that again.

CH is a straightforward exploitation flick. My reading of SALO (not yet having seen it) is that it is a serious movie that achieves its aims by pushing the boundaries of what an audience can endure. So, although both may be unpleasant to watch, their goals are different.

Having said that, I can fully understand not wanting to see either. I have been putting off SALO for a while and have finally decided to bite the bullet. Since I'm going to watch it, there doesn't seem to be a compelling reason not to write about it, since writing a review of a difficult movie often helps me to crystallize my thoughts about it.

Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:17 am
Profile WWW
Nitrium wrote:
Quote:

CH is a straightforward exploitation flick. My reading of SALO (not yet having seen it) is that it is a serious movie that achieves its aims by pushing the boundaries of what an audience can endure. So, although both may be unpleasant to watch, their goals are different.

Having said that, I can fully understand not wanting to see either. I have been putting off SALO for a while and have finally decided to bite the bullet. Since I'm going to watch it, there doesn't seem to be a compelling reason not to write about it, since writing a review of a difficult movie often helps me to crystallize my thoughts about it.

I'll be watching it over the weekend for one of my film classes. Presumably I'll be writing about it, too, though the context will, of course, be different. I'm looking forward to a lighthearted affair with the occasional burst of torture and rape.

Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:43 am
Director

That's about right. Salo has a lot to say; it's a film of great depth, politically, socially, etc. It's not an easy film to watch, and this fact is compounded when one considers that Pasolini refuses to meet his audience halfway anywhere with the film.

Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:15 pm
Gaffer

Wow...that wasn't the review I was expecting. I completely disagree with the analysis, but I do commend JB for having the nerve to even give it a shot to begin with. It's understandable to be turned off by CH, given the content, but I agree with Sexual Chocolate: the film shouldn't be looked at or taken in the traditional cinematic sense. My expectations were seriously low going into it, and I emerged on the other end truly surprised and amazed by what it accomplished. I'd give a great deal to see a remake of the film for today's audiences (sans animal killings, obviously); now THAT would be interesting...and obviously impossible, but hey, a guy can dream right? :)

Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:35 pm
Critic

Sexual Chocolate wrote:

That's about right. Salo has a lot to say; it's a film of great depth, politically, socially, etc. It's not an easy film to watch, and this fact is compounded when one considers that Pasolini refuses to meet his audience halfway anywhere with the film.

I was all set to argue with you, but I figure I'll wait until the Salo review comes out

Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:41 pm
I know I'm going to get attacked for this, but I'm Evenflow, which has not quite been synonymous with 'fuzzy and friendly' (I'm obviously going for the 'Understatement of the Year' award here). Here we go:

If the Reelviews contest exists solely for forum members to entertain their morbid interests about James' viewing experience when watching sadistic/depraved films, then maybe the purpose to which it is serving is null and void. If it were Cannibal Holocaust or Salo and then another, legitimate film, then fine. But I think having James watch the slime standard of rote depravity and then the artsier, 'deeper' version of the same is absolutely pathetic and a indictment of the imaginations of the people who actually 'won'.

He should be watching 'The Faces of Death' and 'Mondo Caine' instead. YOU PEOPLE HAVE NO STANDARDS.

Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:23 pm
Director

Evenflow8112 wrote:

If the Reelviews contest exists solely for forum members to entertain their morbid interests about James' viewing experience when watching sadistic/depraved films, then maybe the purpose to which it is serving is null and void. If it were Cannibal Holocaust or Salo and then another, legitimate film, then fine. But I think having James watch the slime standard of rote depravity and then the artsier, 'deeper' version of the same is absolutely pathetic and a indictment of the imaginations of the people who actually 'won'.

He should be watching 'The Faces of Death' and 'Mondo Caine' instead. YOU PEOPLE HAVE NO STANDARDS.

To start, it's worth noting that Cannibal Holocaust and Salo aren't the same film; they're not even close. About the only thing they have in common is that both require a strong stomach.

Secondly, James has reviewed a decent share of classic films. A quick jaunt through the R section of the site reveals reviews for Raiders, Rashomon, Rear Window, Reservoir Dogs, Robocop, and so on (although Ran is curiously missing; this would be a good one to add).

So with that in mind, I say why not step outside the mainstream? It doesn't have to be something like Mondo Cane or I Spit On Your Grave. It could be Hell's Angels On Wheels, Black Caesar, Five Fingers Of Death, Faster Pussycat! Kill Kill!, Suspiria...or if you want to get really creative, I'd love to see a review of a music film like The Last Waltz or The Decline Of Western Civilization.

Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:00 pm
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Evenflow8112 wrote:

To start, it's worth noting that Cannibal Holocaust and Salo aren't the same film; they're not even close. About the only thing they have in common is that both require a strong stomach.

Secondly, James has reviewed a decent share of classic films. A quick jaunt through the R section of the site reveals reviews for Raiders, Rashomon, Rear Window, Reservoir Dogs, Robocop, and so on (although Ran is curiously missing; this would be a good one to add).

So with that in mind, I say why not step outside the mainstream? It doesn't have to be something like Mondo Cane or I Spit On Your Grave. It could be Hell's Angels On Wheels, Black Caesar, Five Fingers Of Death, Faster Pussycat! Kill Kill!, Suspiria...or if you want to get really creative, I'd love to see a review of a music film like The Last Waltz or The Decline Of Western Civilization.
Agreed, I find the prospect of James reviewing more films like Cannibal Holocaust far more interesting then him reviewing best picture nominees.

Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:43 am
Site Admin

Evenflow8112 wrote:

I'm reviewing SALO on my own. It's something about which I have been curious for quite some time. The disc is sitting next to me right now; it will go in the DVD player some time in the next few days and be watched through twice. (Even CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST got the double-dose approach.)

Do I consider CH to have been worth my time? I suppose so. It's not something I enjoyed but it has its place in cinema (especially holding the title of the "Father of Found Footage Films"). SALO, on the other hand, is one of those movies I probably should have seen long ago and, even though the experience will most likely be dark and depressing, I don't expect it to feel as empty as watching CH.

Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:28 pm
Profile WWW
Evenflow8112 wrote:

I'm reviewing SALO on my own. It's something about which I have been curious for quite some time. The disc is sitting next to me right now; it will go in the DVD player some time in the next few days and be watched through twice. (Even CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST got the double-dose approach.)

Do I consider CH to have been worth my time? I suppose so. It's not something I enjoyed but it has its place in cinema (especially holding the title of the "Father of Found Footage Films"). SALO, on the other hand, is one of those movies I probably should have seen long ago and, even though the experience will most likely be dark and depressing, I don't expect it to feel as empty as watching CH.

Fair enough. Just so I'm being clear, I wasn't attempting to speak for you, just my perspective on how things played out. I was ignorant to the fact that Salo was a choice made solely by you.

As for the actual review of Cannibal Holocaust, it's probably the best and most thoughtful ever written about the film - and I've read quite a few. It's not as thorough in that, unlike some reviews, the intent is not to enlighten the reader about a 'lost' film and more to judge the merits of the film's quality as a piece of the fabric of film in general, but that's preferable to me since there didn't seem to be an angle to your view - just an honest expression created by a non-biased viewing. I usually like reviews of films that have soaked in film communities (whether they are deemed 'legitimate' or not) over contemporary reviews since there is always the pressure, and achievement, of a critic reacting to that film and its success/failure in a way that is unique to them and divorced of (sometimes absurd*) emotional attachments to the material. I don't grade reviews (what's the point?), but I would definitely put it alongside a good number of reviews of yours that I revisited not just to learn the skinny on a film, but also for the quality of the content expressing that view.

* - I'm looking at you, Rocky Horror Picture Show!

Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:03 pm
Gaffer

How I would judge and then review a film is different to how you do, and it's reasonable enough to think that most peoples' criteria for what they find to be good or bad wont always be the same. It is the same with music.

So what do I look for first and foremost before I break down a film? Entertainment. Was I enterained from start to finish, did the film, however it came across keep my attention without my mind drifting and hoping for the end credits? The answer to Cannibal Holocaust is a resounding 'yes'.

Before the technical aspects come into play sometimes you can judge a films "vibe" and I thought CH at the very least kept my eyes on the screen, curious about the outcome and build up.

So in my view, this is enough to warrant a better rating than it got / gets.

Fri May 11, 2012 1:26 pm
Director

looks like Eli Roth is channeling Cannibal Holocaust in his new film http://www.aintitcool.com/node/66975

Fri May 02, 2014 9:48 pm