Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:48 pm

February 17, 2012: "Beat Berardinelli 2012 Edition" 
Gaffer

Post Re: February 17, 2012: "Beat Berardinelli 2012 Edition"
Oh well, looks like I won't win this year.

At least I managed to come in above .500, though. Not bad for someone who hasn't seen most of the nominees.
If my calculations are correct I predicted 12 out of 21 categories for 57 % and a total of 22 overall points.

I would have done slightly better had I changed my selection for Best Animated Picture from Puss in Boots to Rango, but I never was able to connect emotionally with the characters in the latter film like I was in the former. Not that this change would have given me a win, mind you. I still would have lost, but at least it would have been by a smaller margin.

I was really looking forward to James' review of The Sky Crawlers. Oh well, there is always next Oscar season.

For anyone interested in The Sky Crawlers here is the IMDB.com entry for the film along with the critics' reviews.

Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:22 am
Gaffer

I may be of the minority (and yes, I'm new to the forums), but I think it's awesome that James is reviewing CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST. I for one, found myself surprised that the movie was more than just a cruel and violent bloodbath; that there was a method to its madness, call it a weird form of humanity. Yes, it commits unspeakable mistakes such as real animal deaths, which is unforgivable. But the movie is actually about something, and considering I walked into it under the impression that it was going to be a Faces Of Deathesque affair, it was rather refreshing that there is some level of sanity associated with it.

Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:25 pm
About the animal deaths, certain countries like Italy view life and death completely differently then we do, so over there, it isn't a taboo to kill animals for things like that(they usually eat whatever they kill anyways), it's a cultural barrier of sorts. Although I certainly do not condone that kind of thing, I wouldn't call it "unforgiveable" either, some Asian countries are actually surprised that people keep dogs and cats as pets, as they're a regular menu item in restaurants over there.

Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:34 pm
Gaffer

Well, thats understandable. But idk, it is kinda messed up though. Thankfully, the DVD allows an option to watch a version of the movie without the animal killings. And I am able to disassociate my feelings about the animal killings from my feelings about the film itself, which I consider to be kind of brilliant.

Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:38 pm
Yeah it is, but some of the animal testing we do is pretty screwed up as well.

Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:48 pm
Gaffer

Touche, sir.

Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:04 pm
Dragonbeard wrote:
MrGuinness wrote:
Just saw The Artist. If it beats The Descendants, it'll be another in a long line of absurd Oscar travesties.

Good movie, niche for sure, but seriously...

Of course, when BANG! happened in the movie, a minute later someone in the theater exclaimed "How could he have missed?"

Intelligence eludes....

Because a movie with no dialogue beat ones that did? ;)

I just dont think the Artist was all that brilliant. It was good, maybe even nominatible, depending on the year, but winning? Sheesh!

And I though The Descendants was brilliant, as was Girl w/ Dragon Tattoo.

Plus I thought the whole point of more than 5 movies nominated was to add "popular" choices. Was there even ONE "popular" choice?

Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:46 pm
What was brilliant about The Descendants and The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo?

The International Cinephile Society does the Oscars better than the Oscars.

Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:16 am
Pedro wrote:
What was brilliant about The Descendants and The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo?

Read Jim's reviews. Quite perfect...

I like that ALOT!

Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:00 pm