Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:07 pm

THE LORAX 
Site Admin

Post THE LORAX
Click here for the review of The Lorax

SPOILERS must be tagged with the "SPOILER" tag!

Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:29 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Post Re: THE LORAX
At least Universal finally realized that live action Dr. Seuss doesn't work (see "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" and "The Cat in the Hat" -- or, rather, don't, if you know what's good for you ;) ) and have switched to animation with this and "Horton Hears a Who."

Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:21 pm
Yet another Dr Seuss creation of which I've never heard. To be honest, you could take any old highschool stoner drawl, put it to pictures of dogs in cars and convince me it was a Seuss creation. Such is my knowledge of this apparent bard ;)

Also, who is Taylor Swift?

Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:11 pm
Dragonbeard wrote:
Yet another Dr Seuss creation of which I've never heard. To be honest, you could take any old highschool stoner drawl, put it to pictures of dogs in cars and convince me it was a Seuss creation. Such is my knowledge of this apparent bard ;)

Also, who is Taylor Swift?

She's an immensely popular country-pop singer over here in the U.S.

Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:29 pm
I had never heard of Taylor Swift either until I saw her performance at the Grammys this year. I knew nothing about her and was not familiar with her music at all, but I fell in love with her based on that performance alone. She nailed it and man, is she hot!

Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:45 am
The way that Kris Kristofferson was a country singer? Or the way that Leann Rimes was 'a country singer'? :P

Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:11 pm
Dragonbeard wrote:
The way that Kris Kristofferson was a country singer? Or the way that Leann Rimes was 'a country singer'? :P

Definitely more like Rimes.

Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:44 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
Dragonbeard wrote:

Yeah, not true country, but rather Redneck Pop, which has all but completely replaced Country/Western. :P

Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:25 pm
H.I. McDonough wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Dragonbeard wrote:

Yeah, not true country, but rather Redneck Pop, which has all but completely replaced Country/Western. :P

Well I personally can't stand "true" country, so that works just fine for me :P

Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:29 pm
Any plans to see The Secret World Of Arrietty? I haven't seen The Lorax, but even though it's a bigger release, I have a hard time believing it's a more worthwhile option than a new Studio Ghibli film.

Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:08 pm
Site Admin

Blonde Almond wrote:
Any plans to see The Secret World Of Arrietty? I haven't seen The Lorax, but even though it's a bigger release, I have a hard time believing it's a more worthwhile option than a new Studio Ghibli film.

It's gone - no longer playing locally.

Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:23 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

H.I. McDonough wrote:
At least Universal finally realized that live action Dr. Seuss doesn't work (see "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" and "The Cat in the Hat" -- or, rather, don't, if you know what's good for you ;) ) and have switched to animation with this and "Horton Hears a Who."

I liked The Ron Howard/Jim Carey Grinch movie a lot more than Horton Hears a Who which I thought was rather so-so.

Never bothered watching The Cat in the Hat though. It looked too bad for even me to endure.

This looks like it's more in line with Horton Hears a Who to me. Not bad, just kind of meh.

Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:41 am
ilovemovies wrote:
H.I. McDonough wrote:

I liked The Ron Howard/Jim Carey Grinch movie a lot more than Horton Hears a Who which I thought was rather so-so.

Never bothered watching The Cat in the Hat though. It looked too bad for even me to endure.

This looks like it's more in line with Horton Hears a Who to me. Not bad, just kind of meh.

The Grinch was visually stunning, but the story wasn't too remarkable. Cat In The Hat was OK, I actually liked Myers performance as the titular character, it's different from the book, but in a good way, Alec Baldwin on the other hand was pretty weak.

Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:49 am
Producer

This is a decent movie that's more than a little message heavy and good voice-over work. You can totally understand why Ted would have a crush on Audrey. She's a girl you'd go, well, out of town for. (I think the boy was unnamed in the book and Audrey was added for the movie. ) It's not up to Horton Hears a Who!, which made its point more gently.

There's no need to see this in 3-D.

Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:28 pm
I'll be honest...this movie bored me beyond belief.

The voice acting was good, I have fond memories of the story and the cartoon version from when I was little...but I almost fell asleep a few times during this movie, and I don't fall asleep easily.

I love kids movies, cartoons...etc etc, maybe it's just because I didn't care about any of the characters at all? This movie is worth a netflix viewing as far as i'm concerned. Fist time in a while I would rather have my money and time back. I'm surprised at some of the good reviews i've read, maybe it's just the lack of decent childrens/family movies lately. It's better than some of the stuff that's out there, but that's not saying much.

Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:52 pm