Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:47 am

Favorite comedians 
Post Re: Favorite comedians
Ken wrote:

+1000

If you have Netflix his show "Louis" is great and available for streaming.

Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:41 pm
Assistant Director

Robin Williams!

Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:01 am
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
firefly wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Blue Collar, oh just hearing those words make me cringe :evil: I tried watching Blue Collar comedy one time out of boredom, and I barely lasted 5 minutes, it was truly amazing how painfully unfunny those guys are, getting attacked by wasps is more entertaining!

I believe that one needs a lower IQ and distinct lack of educational attainment to 'appreciate' the Blue Collar group.

Truer words have never been spoken. I usually like low-brow humor, but those guys are like center of the earth low! :lol:

IMO, they're very uneven. Foxworthy and Engvall are probably too over-exposed, so their best stuff is tired at this point. Ron White I find hilarious, but then I haven't seen or heard him all that much, so his material I don't find stale like Foxworthy and Engvall. Larry the Cable Guy is just awful--I don't find him even a little bit amusing.

Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:43 am
Ken wrote:

His take on flying and cell phones in his latest album 'Hilarious' is worth at least a dozen careers-worth of average comedians.

Fuck Lisa....

Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:19 pm
Director

I think George Carlin is one of the funniest men that ever walked the planet. His humor was so smart, so clever, and worked on so many levels it's just astounding.

Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:57 pm
Director

Paul Mooney; check out his standup on YouTube. The man is a genius when it comes to race in America.

Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:14 pm
Profile YIM
Lewis Black is also pretty damn funny.

Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:45 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
Lewis Black is also pretty damn funny.

Oh yes, Lewis Black is great. He's a voice of reason in a pretty insane world.

Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:41 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Ken wrote:

His take on flying and cell phones in his latest album 'Hilarious' is worth at least a dozen careers-worth of average comedians.

Fuck Lisa....

With her big nose...

Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:27 pm
I own a couple Steve Martin comedy albums on vinyl, Let's Get Small and A Wild And Crazy Guy, and they never fail to make me laugh. Hell of a banjo player too.

Roger Ebert recently posted a link on Facebook to an old Woody Allen comedy skit from the 1960s, which is surprisingly similar to the concept behind Midnight In Paris:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEsFbeqiD8w

I need to track down some Woody Allen comedy albums now. If I had to pick a favorite comedian, he'd probably be my first choice.

If we're talking more contemporary personalities, Patton Oswalt is great.

Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:58 pm
Hmm, hard to tell since I am not located in the US - so I either don't understand some of the jokes or I terribly lack updates. I see tons of stuff on YouTube though.
Anyway: I always loved Bill Cosby. George Carlin was extremely observant and knew how to present his stuff. I also like Chris Rock because he delivers his stuff like a preacher (he once told that his way of delivering the lines is based upon his grandad who really was a preacherman).
I'm not too fond of any of the true blue collar stuff (in Germany we have tons of this stuff clearly a piss poor carbon copy of US blue collar stand up comedy).

I actually like Russell Peters and Pablo Francisco - even though both seem to be rather one trick ponies.

Please don't get me started on Robin Williams: I think he overestimates his ability to do accurate impressions and his humor regarding people from Europe comes about 60 years too late. But that's just my humble opinion.

I am a devoted fan of Steve Coogan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nLlWaPd ... re=related

But he is about impressions as opposed to social comments.

P.S. how about Debra Wilson (with all due respect to the recently deceased Whitney Houston):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gntvP3dD ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osJ5ntkcoQM

and please check this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25axMdU9B10

Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:56 pm
Lately i've become a big fan of Wanda Sykes.

Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:27 pm
Threeperf35 wrote:
Hmm, hard to tell since I am not located in the US - so I either don't understand some of the jokes or I terribly lack updates. I see tons of stuff on YouTube though.
Anyway: I always loved Bill Cosby. George Carlin was extremely observant and knew how to present his stuff. I also like Chris Rock because he delivers his stuff like a preacher (he once told that his way of delivering the lines is based upon his grandad who really was a preacherman).
I'm not too fond of any of the true blue collar stuff (in Germany we have tons of this stuff clearly a piss poor carbon copy of US blue collar stand up comedy).

I actually like Russell Peters and Pablo Francisco - even though both seem to be rather one trick ponies.

Please don't get me started on Robin Williams: I think he overestimates his ability to do accurate impressions and his humor regarding people from Europe comes about 60 years too late. But that's just my humble opinion.

I am a devoted fan of Steve Coogan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nLlWaPd ... re=related

But he is about impressions as opposed to social comments.

P.S. how about Debra Wilson (with all due respect to the recently deceased Whitney Houston):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gntvP3dD ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osJ5ntkcoQM

and please check this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25axMdU9B10

Michael Mittermaier will be performing at the Edinburgh Comedy festival in August... in English.

He's previewing his show and seeking input/criticism. I'll be seeing him on May 14th here in Munich. Should be interesting. I find him hit or miss in German, more hit than miss. Much better than Mario Barth, for example. Should be a fun night.

Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:15 pm
MunichMan wrote:
... I find him hit or miss in German, more hit than miss. Much better than Mario Barth, for example. Should be a fun night.

There we go: Mario Barth. Please forgive me, but I think that guy is just goddamn awful. Bringing like 70.000 people to watch him says more about the audience than his quality as a stand up comedian. I'm ashamed to be German just thinkig about it.....

Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:47 pm
I couldn't agree more. I recently saw him on Gottschalk Live. cringeworthy. I can't stand the guy. And he fills stadiums!

Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:50 am
A comic that I've been turned on to by a friend recently has me in the proverbial stitches- the Aussie stand-up Jim Jeffries.

Here's part 1 of one of his recorded shows, "Alcoholocaust".

Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:16 pm
MunichMan wrote:
I couldn't agree more. I recently saw him on Gottschalk Live. cringeworthy. I can't stand the guy. And he fills stadiums!

Mario Barth fills stadiums because his brand of "humour" is of the lowest common denominator type. I suppose people go to his stadium shows in order to hear 50 year old jokes about how women can't park and men don't like shopping, because there is absolutely no danger that they will not get a joke or that they would miss a punchline. I can't stand his "Hackfresse" either.

Tue May 01, 2012 5:11 am
Barth's latest tour sold out faster than the Rolling Stones. And we're talking 40-70,000 seat venues. Ouch.

Seeing Mittermeir in English should be interesting. He can be quite funny, but enough with the faces already!

Tue May 01, 2012 6:52 am
Unke wrote:
MunichMan wrote:

Mario Barth fills stadiums because his brand of "humour" is of the lowest common denominator type. I suppose people go to his stadium shows in order to hear 50 year old jokes about how women can't park and men don't like shopping, because there is absolutely no danger that they will not get a joke or that they would miss a punchline. I can't stand his "Hackfresse" either.

Mario Barth sounds like a foreign version of Larry The Cable Guy.

Tue May 01, 2012 11:30 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

Ragnarok73 wrote:
A comic that I've been turned on to by a friend recently has me in the proverbial stitches- the Aussie stand-up Jim Jeffries.

Here's part 1 of one of his recorded shows, "Alcoholocaust".

He's fantastic. I saw him live a few years ago and I laughed so hard. Whilst he comes across as a ranting drunk, he's in fact very clever and makes some very good points.

Thu May 17, 2012 10:24 am