Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:24 pm

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Response thread - Berardinelli's live Oscar night commentary 
Gaffer

Post Re: Response thread - Berardinelli's live Oscar night commentary
I wonder if any of the Presidential candidates have considered Weinstein for advice on how to run a campaign?

Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:22 am
Quote:
Director - Director is not always a pointer to Picture, but the win for Hazanavicius pretty much locks it up for THE ARTIST. No one should be surprised by this, however, since he won the DGA and that's about a 95% accurate pointer. His wife (Berenice Bejo) didn't win, but there will be plenty of joy in that household tonight anyway. (12/18)

Now that would be a movie worth seeing! ;) ;) ;)

Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:24 am
Yeah. So dumb. These people do not need their ego stroked any more than it already is. I actually enjoy when the winner praises others in a genuine way (as Plummer did tonight and Caine did most memorably), but there's just no need for this. I really hope Firth goes all out with his speeches... "Meryl, you wore so much makeup. So so much. So wonderful. And Rooney, you took it up the ass so realistically. Mesmerizing."

Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:25 am
Cinematographer

Meryl Streep winning is kind of surprising. Biggest upset? I feel like I should actually see this movie now, I passed it off because of James' review.

Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:30 am
Gaffer

Finally a surprise! I really didn't see that one coming. Great acting in a so-so movie.

Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:32 am
darthyoshi wrote:
Meryl Streep winning is kind of surprising. Biggest upset? I feel like I should actually see this movie now, I passed it off because of James' review.

I feel like it's the most reasonable upset. I don't know, man, I'm still reeling over The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo's editing win.

Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:32 am
Shade wrote:
Yeah. So dumb. These people do not need their ego stroked any more than it already is. I actually enjoy when the winner praises others in a genuine way (as Plummer did tonight and Caine did most memorably), but there's just no need for this. I really hope Firth goes all out with his speeches... "Meryl, you wore so much makeup. So so much. So wonderful. And Rooney, you took it up the ass so realistically. Mesmerizing."

Exactly. Actors are the last people who should be receiving this...reverence.

And, yes, that's a big upset. I like Meryl Streep a lot...but every clip I've seen from The Iron Lady looks fucking terrible. Critics didn't like it either. I won't judge until I see it, but the favourite, Viola Davis, was much better in a movie I didn't even care for.

Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:33 am
Director

Agreed with Ed. I don't think The Hekp was all that (and I hope it doesn't win Best Picture). But Octavia SPencer deserved her Oscar and Viola Davis deserved the one that went to Meryl Streep. In more wyas than one I get the feeling that this Oscar will be for Streep what the Scent Of A Woman Oscar was for Al Pacino.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:36 am
Cinematographer

And there goes MGamesCook's night...

So, how did everybody do?

Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:37 am
I wish I had been born in the 19th century...maybe then I would have the right sense ability to make movies today.

Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:39 am
darthyoshi wrote:

You know, 16/21 isn't awful, but it's pretty bad by my standards. I flip-flopped on visual effects and foreign language film so much and it cost me. Oh well! Taking it in stride.

God, after each Oscarcast, it's like... what do I do now?

Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:40 am
Site Admin

darthyoshi wrote:

Results tomorrow afternoon. I have everyone's entries plugged into a matrix that will make scoring easy, but it will still take me an hour and I can't get started until after my son goes to bed for his nap (I'm on child care duty tomorrow morning - the babysitter is off). So the results will probably be available around 3 pm ET, give or take. Look for them in the "Beat Berardinelli" competition thread.

Goodnight all.

Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:42 am
Profile WWW
I don't know whether that win was deserved or not, but congratulations to Harvey Weinstein for determining the Oscar race once more. He's been doing it since the 90s and knows the game inside-out. You'd think that the lobby only affected politics, but aren't the Academy awards more or less like an election campaign anyway? Pity that we all did so well in the guessing game too. Shows how much is pre-ordained.

My fix? Give out the Oscars at the start of January. At least we won't have to see the same movie win at the Globes, DGA, PGA, SAG, WGA, Baftas, Indie Spirit and a half dozen others before we get to the actual Oscars. There'd be more surprise if it was in early January, no?

Anyway, I'm out. Have about 4.5 hours of sleep to look forward to. Good night, and good luck.

Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:44 am
15/21. Respectable, I guess, although a couple of my misses seem fairly obvious in retrospect.

The show itself was once again fairly predictable and dull. A couple nice moments, but not really anything to get worked up over.

Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:44 am
Second Unit Director

14/21. I knew the categories I was screwed in before the awards started. I went for Tinker Tailor... for Best Adapted when I knew it had little chance. And Best Actor was always a close call but I wanted Clooney to win, so there you go.

I think many of us are still reeling from the Best Actress win for Streep. I haven't seen the film but the few clips they showed on the big screen were so sub-par and so obviously "acting" that I am surprised. Streep has given some terrific performances over the years but I cannot believe that she was able to pip Davis for this one. Oh well... every Oscarcast has to have a surprise, this year had two.

As for the whole show, it wasn't too great. Crystal was good as always, much better than the last few years which was expected. Emma Stone, Angelina Jolie (more precisely, her legs) and Natalie Portman on stage made it worth waking up at 6.00 AM to catch the Oscars. And at least, they finished on time allowing me to go to work on time. That makes this one of the best Oscar telecasts in recent memory.

Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:45 am
Profile WWW
Producer

12 out of 24. In other words 50% although in the Beat Berardinelli contest it doesn't include any of the short categories, so it's actually 12/21. Still didn't win of course.

And Girl With the Dragon Tattoo wins best film editing? That movie is a billion hours long. It has no editing. WTF!

Best speeches of the night go to the old geezers. Meryl and Plummer. Both were classy but Meryl's speech in particular I thought was actually pretty moving.

Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:49 am
Producer

Another swipe at the short film awards, which is getting really boring. "The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore" is a bit too sweet, but it's an excellent piece of animation which deserves its award and having attention paid to it. Lamenting that the Oscars actually spent five minutes drawing people's attention to short films--actual films, my God!--rather than wasting it on the pointless Circle de Soleil presentation is silly. James, you're a bit of a bore.

Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:51 am
Producer

The live action and documentary shorts are admittedly hard to find, but it's not that difficult to find the animation short film nominees. I saw clips of all five and watched the winner in its entirety on Youtube, as I have all but one winner since 1997 (that one looked boring), and many years all five. You're on the Internet, folks. Just because James is too lazy to look for them doesn't mean you have to be.

Here's this year's winner. Enjoy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Adzywe9xeIU

Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:34 am
Second Unit Director

James Berardinelli wrote:
8:47 pm: Happy to have Crystal back. In recent years, the hosts have been trying too hard and coming up short. Crystal understands how to keep things moving. He's the consummate host. I never saw Bob Hope host the Oscars (except in clips), but I caught Johnny Carson a few times and it's the same thing. Both Carson and Crystal exude a feeling that they *belong* on the stage. They command the room and aren't the least bit intimidated.

I am old enough to remember Bob Hope. For many years, he WAS the Oscars. Everyone tuned in just to see his monologues. He would basically say different versions of the same jokes every year, but with Hope it didn't seem to matter: he just knew how to host and keep the show moving. Carson was also great.

I was disappointed with Crystal this time. He did a good job in keeping the show moving, but many of his jokes seemed to bomb with the audience. It was embarrassing to watch. Loved the Wizard of Oz sketch, though. I knew we were in for a treat when I saw Christopher Guest along with the old SCTV gang sitting there.

Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:15 pm
Director

I think I got something like 13/21. Okay, not great.

What did me in were the sound categories. I picked Transformers, which made sense to me. Michael Bay's films may be completely shitty when it comes to plot, narrative, screenwriting, acting, directing, cinematography, and so on and so forth, but they are masterpieces of sound mixing and editing.

Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:59 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next