Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:44 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Response thread - Berardinelli's live Oscar night commentary 
Cinematographer

Post Re: Response thread - Berardinelli's live Oscar night commentary
ed_metal_head wrote:
darthyoshi wrote:
Does anyone know why Woody Allen wasn't there?

Woody Allen has never attended the Oscars as a nominee. He went once for a 9/11 thing. Supposedly, he was playing jazz music in a New York club while Annie Hall was winning Best Picture.

Didn't know that. I guess I should say I'm not surprised.

Overall, things have been pretty streamlined this year. How do you guys feel about the pacing?

Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:36 pm
James Berardinelli wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:
9/13 so far, I think. I'm beating Berardinelli thus far, but no way that I'm beating most of you guys tonight.

I think there's someone with 12/13 at this point.

I think tysonmp is going to be the winner unless I'm mistaken, so congratulations to him.

Balaji, it'll be a while before a mostly silent film takes a screenplay win, I think.

DY, Woody Allen never goes to the Oscars. He doesn't care.

The Descendants won't win anything else, except for actor perhaps.

Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:37 pm
Cinematographer

Bones wrote:
darthyoshi wrote:
I think its nice having Billy Crystal there, it just shows what the standard should be for this thing. It's time they found someone just as consistent and dependable, but younger.

Justin Timberlake would be perfect for it, really. He wouldn't force it, he could do the songs. I'm hoping they get around to him sooner rather than later--I could see him doing it several times before it's all said and done.

Timberlake would be awesome. What about a woman though? Howabout Cameron Diaz?

Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:40 pm
darthyoshi wrote:
Overall, things have been pretty streamlined this year. How do you guys feel about the pacing?

Pacing has been good, but the weird little movie montages related to nothing are still weird. Fewer this year than most years I think, but I don't understand why they don't cut them out altogether.

EDIT: Gotta wonder, is the placement of the short awards to give people time to throw in some laundry, brush their teeth, get ready for bed, etc before the big awards? Can't think of any other reason for having them so late in the game.

Last edited by Bones on Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:45 pm
darthyoshi wrote:
Bones wrote:
darthyoshi wrote:
I think its nice having Billy Crystal there, it just shows what the standard should be for this thing. It's time they found someone just as consistent and dependable, but younger.

Justin Timberlake would be perfect for it, really. He wouldn't force it, he could do the songs. I'm hoping they get around to him sooner rather than later--I could see him doing it several times before it's all said and done.

Timberlake would be awesome. What about a woman though? Howabout Cameron Diaz?

Tina Fey and Amy Poehler?

Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:46 pm
darthyoshi wrote:

It's been moving along really quickly...so far. I don't want to jinx things. Remember when they had the previous year's winner come and say something about each of the acting nominees? Let's hope the final few aren't long and drawn out. I have to get up at 4:30am EST for work so I hope to be in bed in 45 minutes or less.

Oh, and Sheryl (via JB's commentary) is right. I hope people were distracted by Jolie's leg because her arms were worryingly thin. She used to be so beautiful...

Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:49 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
darthyoshi wrote:

It's been moving along really quickly...so far. I don't want to jinx things. Remember when they had the previous year's winner come and say something about each of the acting nominees? Let's hope the final few aren't long and drawn out. I have to get up at 4:30am EST for work so I hope to be in bed in 45 minutes or less.

Oh, and Sheryl (via JB's commentary) is right. I hope people were distracted by Jolie's leg because her arms were worryingly thin. She used to be so beautiful...

Yeah she does need to eat more... a lot more! Man, never have I been less interested in the Oscars than this year!

Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:51 pm
Cinematographer

ed_metal_head wrote:

I know I was...

And theres Hazanavicous for Best Director. The Artist is probably locked in for tonight.

Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:53 pm
Cameron Diaz would be interesting, though personally i'd really like to see Lindsay Lohan host(though she is hosting SNL along with Jonah Hill on Saturday, which i'm looking forward to seeing) if nothing else, she certainly wouldn't be boring. If not her, then perhaps Kirsten Wiig(whch i'm JB would HATE)

Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:54 pm
Have the Gods no mercy?

Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:54 pm
Cinematographer

MGamesCook wrote:
Have the Gods no mercy?

I think MGamesCook is secretly Kim Novak.

Well played, Novak. Well played.

Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:56 pm

Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:56 pm
darthyoshi wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:
Have the Gods no mercy?

No, but I love movies, which you, if you like Artist, do not.

Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:01 am
Cinematographer

MGamesCook wrote:
darthyoshi wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:
Have the Gods no mercy?

But Vertigo is in my top 10... Darn, apparently I don't actually like it.

Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:04 am
Site Admin

darthyoshi wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:

He's just trying to fill the void left by Ragnarok's not joining the party.

Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:09 am
Profile WWW
MGamesCook wrote:

Yikes. I better turn this off then. Really was looking forward to watching Take Shelter tomorrow, but now that I don't like movies anymore...

Really enjoyed that they didn't play the applause (or asked for no applause in the theater?) for the In Memory Of section. Always seemed really macabre to have a posthumous popularity contest on live TV.

Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:10 am
Did Natalie Portman really have to introduce every single fucking nominee for Best Actor? What a time waster!

Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:16 am
Cinematographer

And... there goes the whole flow of the show. At least we got to look at Natalie Portman.

Jean Dujardin is no surprise at this point. This was a lot of competition in this category, I would have been happy to see any of them win.

Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:19 am
darthyoshi wrote:
And... there goes the whole flow of the show. At least we got to look at Natalie Portman.

Exactly what I feared. They sped things up only so they could slow them down. What makes actors so special anyway? The directors got the same short introduction as all the other nominees. And Natalie wasn't even covered in hot grits. Nor was she petrified.

Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:21 am
Quote:

If you look closely at my post, you might notice that I said Artist, not Vertigo.

Bones wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:

Yikes. I better turn this off then. Really was looking forward to watching Take Shelter tomorrow, but now that I don't like movies anymore...

Really enjoyed that they didn't play the applause (or asked for no applause in the theater?) for the In Memory Of section. Always seemed really macabre to have a posthumous popularity contest on live TV.

Nope, so you might as well not bother.

Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:22 am
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next