Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:11 pm

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Response thread - Berardinelli's live Oscar night commentary 
Post Re: Response thread - Berardinelli's live Oscar night commentary
9/13 so far, I think. I'm beating Berardinelli thus far, but no way that I'm beating most of you guys tonight.

Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:05 pm
Site Admin

ed_metal_head wrote:
9/13 so far, I think. I'm beating Berardinelli thus far, but no way that I'm beating most of you guys tonight.

I think there's someone with 12/13 at this point.

Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:09 pm
Profile WWW
James Berardinelli wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:

I think there's someone with 12/13 at this point.

There should be some sort of dope testing next year.

Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:13 pm
Cinematographer

I'm happy with The Artist winning music, it was awesome. Was anyone betting on Hugo or some John Williams?

Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:15 pm
They should have given the award posthumously to Bernard Hermann. Seriously guys, this is bad. Anyone who actually loves movies is pissed off right now.

Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:16 pm
MGamesCook wrote:
They should have given the award posthumously to Bernard Hermann. Seriously guys, this is bad. Anyone who actually loves movies is pissed off right now.

Haven't seen The Artist, but how much of the score is actually original? I've heard that it borrows quite a few pieces of famous music apart from the oft-mentioned Vertigo score.

Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:20 pm
Cinematographer

Wow, I totally didn't realize that was Bret from Flight of the Conchords. Awesome.

Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:21 pm
Second Unit Director

MGamesCook wrote:
I don't get why you're so worked up over the Oscars of all things. Anybody who loves cinema would realize that it is more about the event rather than which film was actually the best from last year. I also have hard feelings that The Artist is going to have the cake and eat it also, but yeah no point being pissed off about it. I actually find it funny how predictable this year has been so far. I haven't followed the hype like Pedro has done but I am still doing pretty well with my ballot. That says it all I am afraid.

EDIT: 12 out of 15 so far.

Last edited by Balaji Sivaraman on Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:22 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

ed_metal_head wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:

Haven't seen The Artist, but how much of the score is actually original? I've heard that it borrows quite a few pieces of famous music apart from the oft-mentioned Vertigo score.

It was really just the one which was maybe 10 minutes of the whole thing. I thought the rest of it was mostly original, and it was great stuff. He did a great job recreating the silent film soundtrack sound.

Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:22 pm
Site Admin

MGamesCook wrote:

Nothing new in this. Bill Conti was notorious for stealing from others.

Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:24 pm
Profile WWW
Balaji Sivaraman wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:
I don't get why you're so worked up over the Oscars of all things. Anybody who loves cinema would realize that it is more about the event rather than which film was actually the best from last year. I also have hard feelings that The Artist is going to have the cake and eat it also, but yeah no point being pissed off about it. I actually find it funny how predictable this year has been so far. I haven't followed the hype like Pedro has done but I am still doing pretty well with my ballot. That says it all I am afraid.

EDIT: 12 out of 15 so far.

Eh, it does matter though...not good :(

Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:25 pm
Cinematographer

MGamesCook wrote:

I can see how you would be mad, as the piece in question was during a pretty important part of the movie. But to be honest it wasn't that big of a fraction of the movie, and there was a lot of great original music.

Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:26 pm
Surprised you didn't like Emma Stone, James. I thought she was one of the few genuinely funny presenters so far. Chris Rock, obviously. Also, Christopher Plummer's speech was just great. Ditto Bret McKenzie.

Enjoyed The Artist winning score--might be a bit of a case of it winning more for "most" music than "best" music, but as none of the other nominees were truly mind-blowing (well, I didn't see TTSS), good choice.

Billy Crystal hasn't been as bad as I feared, but the "what are they thinking" bit was a little painful until the Nick Nolte mumbling.

Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:27 pm
Second Unit Director

So glad for Alexander Payne though I knew he would screw up my ballot. The Descendants was one of my favorites from last year.

A bit surprised about Woody Allen though. I thought The Artist was a lock for this award. I would like Pedro to elaborate this one if possible.

Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:31 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

Bones wrote:
Surprised you didn't like Emma Stone, James. I thought she was one of the few genuinely funny presenters so far. Chris Rock, obviously. Also, Christopher Plummer's speech was just great. Ditto Bret McKenzie.

Enjoyed The Artist winning score--might be a bit of a case of it winning more for "most" music than "best" music, but as none of the other nominees were truly mind-blowing (well, I didn't see TTSS), good choice.

Billy Crystal hasn't been as bad as I feared, but the "what are they thinking" bit was a little painful until the Nick Nolte mumbling.

Christopher Plummer is such a gentleman. He's been planning that speech for so long.

I think its nice having Billy Crystal there, it just shows what the standard should be for this thing. It's time they found someone just as consistent and dependable, but younger.

Does anyone know why Woody Allen wasn't there?

EDIT: Also, even though I had The Artist for original screenplay, I knew that Midnight in Paris would win. The Artist just didn't have enough dialogue. I think that's the only reason why it lost.

Last edited by darthyoshi on Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:31 pm
Gaffer

Perhaps they can get one of the sound award winners to assist with the strange metallic feedback that has been going on with the presenter/winners' microphones?

Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:32 pm
I vote "that's a good question for Werner Herzog to complicate" for line of the night. That was fun.

Glad for Midnight in Paris. Does Descendants winning mean anything for the bigger awards, or is that usually more of a "consolation prize" award?

Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:33 pm
darthyoshi wrote:

Woody Allen has never attended the Oscars as a nominee. He went once for a 9/11 thing. Supposedly, he was playing jazz music in a New York club while Annie Hall was winning Best Picture.

Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:35 pm
darthyoshi wrote:
I think its nice having Billy Crystal there, it just shows what the standard should be for this thing. It's time they found someone just as consistent and dependable, but younger.

Justin Timberlake would be perfect for it, really. He wouldn't force it, he could do the songs. I'm hoping they get around to him sooner rather than later--I could see him doing it several times before it's all said and done.

Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:35 pm
Site Admin

darthyoshi wrote:

He doesn't like to travel by airplane. He has only once been to the Oscars - 2002 to introduce the NYC montage.

Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:36 pm
Profile WWW
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next