Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:19 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
February 17, 2012: "Beat Berardinelli 2012 Edition" 
Author Message
Site Admin

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm
Posts: 3151
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ, USA
Post February 17, 2012: "Beat Berardinelli 2012 Edition"
Click here to read topic.

Contest Rules & Regulations. Contest open Noon EST on Saturday 2/18 until noon EST on Sunday 2/26.


Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:31 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: February 17, 2012: "Beat Berardinelli 2012 Edition"
I have to admit the idea of James reviewing a movie of your choice seems more appealing than getting a DVD/blu-ray. A lot of popular titles he has never reviewed immediately flooded my head when I first saw him mention this. Of course I can't help but wonder if someone would make James sit through a really bad film just so they can see him review it.


Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:56 pm
Site Admin

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm
Posts: 3151
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ, USA
Post Re: February 17, 2012: "Beat Berardinelli 2012 Edition"
ck100 wrote:
I have to admit the idea of James reviewing a movie of your choice seems more appealing than getting a DVD/blu-ray. A lot of popular titles he has never reviewed immediately flooded my head when I first saw him mention this. Of course I can't help but wonder if someone would make James sit through a really bad film just so they can see him review it.


Well, I'm obligated to review CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST for a contest winner (PR0METHEU5). I've never seen it so I can't say for sure, but it *sounds* like a really bad film. (I'm hoping it's along the lines of AMAZON WOMEN ON THE MOON which, despite being uneven, is at times highly enjoyable.)


Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:22 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: February 17, 2012: "Beat Berardinelli 2012 Edition"
James Berardinelli wrote:
ck100 wrote:
I have to admit the idea of James reviewing a movie of your choice seems more appealing than getting a DVD/blu-ray. A lot of popular titles he has never reviewed immediately flooded my head when I first saw him mention this. Of course I can't help but wonder if someone would make James sit through a really bad film just so they can see him review it.


Well, I'm obligated to review CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST for a contest winner (PR0METHEU5). I've never seen it so I can't say for sure, but it *sounds* like a really bad film. (I'm hoping it's along the lines of AMAZON WOMEN ON THE MOON which, despite being uneven, is at times highly enjoyable.)


Judging from what I've read about the film, it might be more along the lines of The Devil's Rejects, which we all know you loved so much! :D :D :D


Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:55 pm
Post Re: February 17, 2012: "Beat Berardinelli 2012 Edition"
James Berardinelli wrote:
Well, I'm obligated to review CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST for a contest winner (PR0METHEU5). I've never seen it so I can't say for sure, but it *sounds* like a really bad film. (I'm hoping it's along the lines of AMAZON WOMEN ON THE MOON which, despite being uneven, is at times highly enjoyable.)


"Amazon women of the moon"? Not quite. I've only seen extracts of Cannibal Holocaust (and a few "harmless" Italian cannibal movies), but I'd advise you to keep a sick-bag nearby, just in case. From the few scenes I've seen - the distribution in Germany is prohibited and constitutes a criminal offence (something like "glorification of dehumanising violence") -, it is a truly repugnant hardcore exploitation horror movie featuring sexual violence and real animal killings. Still, it's considered a classic of the (sub)genre and originator of the "found footage" concept.


Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:05 pm
Director

Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:44 pm
Posts: 1478
Post Re: February 17, 2012: "Beat Berardinelli 2012 Edition"
Quote:
Well, I'm obligated to review CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST for a contest winner (PR0METHEU5). I've never seen it so I can't say for sure, but it *sounds* like a really bad film. (I'm hoping it's along the lines of AMAZON WOMEN ON THE MOON which, despite being uneven, is at times highly enjoyable.)


lol! tsk tsk Prometheus, making james watch that.
were there 2 contest winners?


Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:01 pm
Profile
Post Re: February 17, 2012: "Beat Berardinelli 2012 Edition"
calvero wrote:
Quote:
Well, I'm obligated to review CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST for a contest winner (PR0METHEU5). I've never seen it so I can't say for sure, but it *sounds* like a really bad film. (I'm hoping it's along the lines of AMAZON WOMEN ON THE MOON which, despite being uneven, is at times highly enjoyable.)


lol! tsk tsk Prometheus, making james watch that.
were there 2 contest winners?


Yep, Blonde Almond and Prometheus tied.

Also, if I win, you're reviewing Greatest Show on Earth. You still have 60 years of Best Picture winners to review


Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:59 pm
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:04 pm
Posts: 1718
Location: New Hampshire
Post Re: February 17, 2012: "Beat Berardinelli 2012 Edition"
James Berardinelli wrote:

Well, I'm obligated to review CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST for a contest winner (PR0METHEU5). I've never seen it so I can't say for sure, but it *sounds* like a really bad film. (I'm hoping it's along the lines of AMAZON WOMEN ON THE MOON which, despite being uneven, is at times highly enjoyable.)


You a fan of ultra-gory, ultra violent Italian exploitation flicks? If not, then you're in for a hell of a ride. I'm not going to spoil anything for you, but I'll say this much: Cannibal Holocaust is absolutely nothing like Amazon Women On The Moon.

_________________
Death is pretty final
I'm collecting vinyl
I'm gonna DJ at the end of the world.


Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:53 am
Profile
Gaffer

Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:54 am
Posts: 25
Post Re: February 17, 2012: "Beat Berardinelli 2012 Edition"
I'm pondering entering this year's contest. I've seen less than half of the films nominated for Oscars so I would be voting blind in many cases.

However, if through some horribly, freakish nightmare I were to win then the film I would like JB to review is The Sky Crawlers.

James shouldn't worry, though, I have a better chance of landing a date with a Hollywood starlet than I do of winning this contest.


Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:16 am
Profile
Site Admin

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm
Posts: 3151
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ, USA
Post Re: February 17, 2012: "Beat Berardinelli 2012 Edition"
TheTexasTwister wrote:
I'm pondering entering this year's contest. I've seen less than half of the films nominated for Oscars so I would be voting blind in many cases.

However, if through some horribly, freakish nightmare I were to win then the film I would like JB to review is The Sky Crawlers.

James shouldn't worry, though, I have a better chance of landing a date with a Hollywood starlet than I do of winning this contest.


Sometimes it's the people who know the least about the movies that get the highest scores.


Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:35 pm
Profile WWW
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:04 pm
Posts: 1718
Location: New Hampshire
Post Re: February 17, 2012: "Beat Berardinelli 2012 Edition"
Since it won't take me long to fill out a ballot, I think I'll throw in. If I win, you're reviewing Salo.....hehehehe.

_________________
Death is pretty final
I'm collecting vinyl
I'm gonna DJ at the end of the world.


Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:07 pm
Profile
Gaffer

Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:54 am
Posts: 25
Post Re: February 17, 2012: "Beat Berardinelli 2012 Edition"
James Berardinelli wrote:
TheTexasTwister wrote:
I'm pondering entering this year's contest. I've seen less than half of the films nominated for Oscars so I would be voting blind in many cases.

However, if through some horribly, freakish nightmare I were to win then the film I would like JB to review is The Sky Crawlers.

James shouldn't worry, though, I have a better chance of landing a date with a Hollywood starlet than I do of winning this contest.


Sometimes it's the people who know the least about the movies that get the highest scores.



Oh, well in that case, here is the link to movie: https://signup.netflix.com/movie/The-Sky-Crawlers/70109766.

And my starlet of choice is Summer Glau. :lol: :lol: :lol:


Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:22 am
Profile
Site Admin

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm
Posts: 3151
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ, USA
Post Re: February 17, 2012: "Beat Berardinelli 2012 Edition"
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Since it won't take me long to fill out a ballot, I think I'll throw in. If I win, you're reviewing Salo.....hehehehe.


You may want to re-think that, since I'm planning to review it later this year anyway.


Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:01 pm
Profile WWW
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:04 pm
Posts: 1718
Location: New Hampshire
Post Re: February 17, 2012: "Beat Berardinelli 2012 Edition"
James Berardinelli wrote:
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Since it won't take me long to fill out a ballot, I think I'll throw in. If I win, you're reviewing Salo.....hehehehe.


You may want to re-think that, since I'm planning to review it later this year anyway.


Really? You're a brave man, good sir. Most people do not voluntarily choose to watch Salo.

Regardless, I am curious what kind of reaction you'll have. Will it be a visceral or an intellectual one? My gut tells me that the first time around, it will be the former. Then if you choose to watch it a second time, it will be a mix of both. And then, if you choose to give it a third whirl, you'll view it from a purely intellectual one, and realize that Salo does have a lot to say.

_________________
Death is pretty final
I'm collecting vinyl
I'm gonna DJ at the end of the world.


Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:58 pm
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:22 pm
Posts: 774
Location: Hobart Australia
Post Re: February 17, 2012: "Beat Berardinelli 2012 Edition"
G'Day everyone,
This is my second post just to say Hi. My first was to participate in the contest and If I win then I would like "The adventures of Robin Hood" with Errol Flynn reviewed. Errol Flynn was from Hobart - Tasmania and a very entertaining actor in the past.
Cheers from down under
Carlos

_________________
The pen is truly mightier than the sword
The Joker (Batman - 1989)


Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:55 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm
Posts: 3151
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ, USA
Post Re: February 17, 2012: "Beat Berardinelli 2012 Edition"
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Regardless, I am curious what kind of reaction you'll have. Will it be a visceral or an intellectual one? My gut tells me that the first time around, it will be the former. Then if you choose to watch it a second time, it will be a mix of both. And then, if you choose to give it a third whirl, you'll view it from a purely intellectual one, and realize that Salo does have a lot to say.


Typically, I watch an older movie twice before reviewing it, although I have been known to break that rule-of-thumb from time-to-time. I won't know how many times I'll watch SALO. And, after CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST, I may need a short break before proceeding.


Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:16 pm
Profile WWW
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:04 pm
Posts: 1718
Location: New Hampshire
Post Re: February 17, 2012: "Beat Berardinelli 2012 Edition"
James Berardinelli wrote:
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Regardless, I am curious what kind of reaction you'll have. Will it be a visceral or an intellectual one? My gut tells me that the first time around, it will be the former. Then if you choose to watch it a second time, it will be a mix of both. And then, if you choose to give it a third whirl, you'll view it from a purely intellectual one, and realize that Salo does have a lot to say.


Typically, I watch an older movie twice before reviewing it, although I have been known to break that rule-of-thumb from time-to-time. I won't know how many times I'll watch SALO. And, after CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST, I may need a short break before proceeding.


So you've given Cannibal Holocaust a whirl, eh? I'm curious what your initial reaction was (one or two words would suffice).

_________________
Death is pretty final
I'm collecting vinyl
I'm gonna DJ at the end of the world.


Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:33 pm
Profile
Post Re: February 17, 2012: "Beat Berardinelli 2012 Edition"
Disappoint - the title of this entry made me think of people hitting JB with foam bats :P


Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:48 pm
Post Re: February 17, 2012: "Beat Berardinelli 2012 Edition"
Just saw The Artist. If it beats The Descendants, it'll be another in a long line of absurd Oscar travesties.

Good movie, niche for sure, but seriously...

Of course, when BANG! happened in the movie, a minute later someone in the theater exclaimed "How could he have missed?"

Intelligence eludes....


Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:51 pm
Post Re: February 17, 2012: "Beat Berardinelli 2012 Edition"
MrGuinness wrote:
Just saw The Artist. If it beats The Descendants, it'll be another in a long line of absurd Oscar travesties.

Good movie, niche for sure, but seriously...

Of course, when BANG! happened in the movie, a minute later someone in the theater exclaimed "How could he have missed?"

Intelligence eludes....


Because a movie with no dialogue beat ones that did? ;)


Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:49 pm
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr