Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:11 am

TOOTSIE (1982) 
Site Admin

Post TOOTSIE (1982)
Click here for the review of Tootsie (1982)

Part of the "1980s" series.

Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:43 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: TOOTSIE (1982)
If it wasn't for Knowing I would've gotten a win.

But man, that is one awesomely messed-up movie especially the big reveal at the end. It's like every soap opera cliche rolled into 5 minutes of awesomeness.

Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:49 pm
Director

Glad you liked it James, am a huge Tootsie fan. was this close to making your top 100?

Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:58 pm
I remember seeing Tootsie at the cinema and greatly enjoying it. Dustin Hoffman seems to use his Tootsie voice in every role these days. I found him positively creepy in Mr. Magorium.

Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:09 pm
I had a feeling it was a 3.5 (hence me being correct on the older film for the third straight week), but I don't know if the film escapes aging. The music ties it to it's decade, and the cheesy camera movements feel positively retro (even outside of the sopa opera scenes). Still, I agree with you, James, 'gem' is an apt descriptor for this film. It's sensitivity is sadly lacking in the otherwise pathetic sub-genre of cross-dressing comedy.

Now, whether or not it's as good as Some Like It Hot, well, that's another story for another day...

Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:41 pm
I need to see Tootsie again. It's been years since I've seen it.

Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:28 am
I hated this movie when I was a kid in the late-80's, but I eventually watched it on AMC or TCM or something in the late 90's and I suddenly liked it. I guess my hating of it early on was the fact that I thought it was just about a Soap Opera and I hated Soap Operas. I'm gonna swing by my parent's and pick up the DVD on the way home tonight.

Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:00 pm
In at least two interviews I've seen Dustin Hoffman get close to tears when discussing this film and I never get why. Could it be, that similar to his character Michael, he had a reputation for being difficult to work with?

Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:26 pm
this is a great role for Hoffman but Midnight Cowboy is my favorite film of his

Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:30 am
Director

Quote:
In at least two interviews I've seen Dustin Hoffman get close to tears when discussing this film and I never get why. Could it be, that similar to his character Michael, he had a reputation for being difficult to work with?

he said he realized when he did this movie that women are judged so much on only their looks, & that made him sad(esp since 'Dorothy' was such an unattractive woman)

Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:02 pm
I really don't care about individual actors. Do we care that Doug Stemkowski, the successful high school chemistry teacher in Beria, switched over to biology and was somewhat less successful? Although is an abstract sense we should, we just don't have the time and energy. Do we care that Dustin Hoffman, the successful actor in Hollywood, was better or worse or whatever in other movies. No, we just don't have the time and energy. More importantly, just as our focus should be on the students rather than Stemkowki, our focus should be on the movie rather than Hoffman. And the main thing about Tootsie is that so many people find it funny. I thought it was hilarious. It is so difficult to write a good comedy, yet Tootsie was not only good but widely liked.

Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:30 am