Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:09 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
The Third Annual ReelViews Academy Award Nominations 
Post The Third Annual ReelViews Academy Award Nominations
BEST PICTURE
The Descendants
Drive
Hugo
A Separation
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

BEST DIRECTOR
Michel Hazanavicius (The Artist)
Nicolas Winding Refn (Drive)
Martin Scorsese (Hugo)
Asghar Farhadi (A Separation)
Tomas Alfredson (Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy)
Terrence Malick (The Tree of Life)

BEST ACTOR
Jean Dujardin (The Artist)
George Clooney (The Descendants)
Ryan Gosling (Drive)
Peyman Maadi (A Separation)
Michael Fassbender (Shame)
Michael Shannon (Take Shelter)
Gary Oldman (Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy)

BEST ACTRESS
Bérénice Bejo (The Artist)
Juliette Binoche (Certified Copy)
Rooney Mara (The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo)
Viola Davis (The Help)
Elizabeth Olsen (Martha Marcy May Marlene)
Charlize Theron (Young Adult)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Christopher Plummer (Beginners)
Albert Brooks (Drive)
John Hawkes (Martha Marcy May Marlene)
Corey Stoll (Midnight in Paris)
Hunter McCracken (The Tree of Life)
Nick Nolte (Warrior)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Shailene Woodley (The Descendants)
Jessica Chastain (The Help)
Sareh Bayet (A Separation)
Elle Fanning (Super 8)
Svetlana Khodchenkova (Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy)

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
The Descendants
Drive
Hugo
Moneyball

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
50/50
The Artist
Certified Copy
Midnight in Paris
A Separation

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE
The Adventures of Tintin
Kung Fu Panda 2
Puss in Boots
Rango
Winnie the Pooh

BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
Cave of Forgotten Dreams
Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
Certified Copy
A Separation

BEST ENSEMBLE CAST
The Descendants
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
Hugo
Midnight in Paris
A Separation

BEST ART DIRECTION
The Artist
Drive
Hugo
Midnight in Paris

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
Drive
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
Hugo
The Tree of Life
War Horse

BEST COSTUME DESIGN
The Artist
Drive
The Help
Hugo
The Skin I Live In

BEST FILM EDITING
Drive
Hugo

BEST MAKE-UP
The Iron Lady

BEST USE OF MUSIC
The Artist
Attack the Block
Drive
Hanna
Hugo

BEST SOUND EDITING
Drive
Hugo
The Tree of Life

BEST SOUND MIXING
Drive
Hugo
The Tree of Life

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
Attack the Block
Hugo
The Tree of Life

SO

12 NOMINATIONS
*Drive
*Hugo

10 NOMINATIONS
*Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

7 NOMINATIONS
*A Separation
The Artist

6 NOMINATIONS
The Tree of Life

5 NOMINATIONS
*The Descendants

4 NOMINATIONS
Midnight in Paris

3 NOMINATIONS
Certified Copy
The Help

2 NOMINATIONS
Attack the Block
Martha Marcy May Marlene

1 NOMINATION
50/50
The Adventures of Tintin
Beginners
Cave of Forgotten Dreams
Hanna
The Iron Lady
Kung Fu Panda 2
Moneyball
Puss in Boots
Rango
Shame
The Skin I Live In
Super 8
Take Shelter
War Horse
Warrior
Winnie the Pooh
Young Adult

Of course, a * indicates a Best Picture nominee.

Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:36 pm
Post Re: The Third Annual ReelViews Academy Award Nominations
YES!

I want to hug the members of Reelviews for not giving The Artist a Best Picture nomination. I love you guys for that. But Bejo, Best Actress? Really? She wasn't even serviceable in that role! Watch her dance! She. Can't. Dance. She could smile, and that's about it.

Pedro, if you don't mind me asking, how many people ended up sending in nominations? I'm not looking for any names, just wondering about the raw numbers. How did this year compare to past years?

And - Jessie Eisenberg for Shame? Huh?

Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:47 pm
Ah man, now I'm sad. But to start with happies, hurray Juliette Binoche, hurray Corey Stoll, hurray Hunter McCracken, hurray Berenice Bejo, hurray Elle Fanning.

Sad part for me is that I nominated Warrior in the #1 or #2 spot for a ton of stuff, and its only nomination came in a category I didn't even nominate it in. Nolte was fine, but hardly the best thing in the movie. I'm not surprised it didn't get a Best Picture nod, but I'm really disappointed there's no nod for Tom Hardy for Best Actor. I'm a little surprised that enough people saw it to nominate Nick Nolte yet didn't have Tom Hardy on their lists.

Also: congrats to everyone for managing to put together an infinitely more interesting Best Picture field, with only 5 selections, than the Academy managed with 9. Pedro, can you shed any light on how the decision to limit it to 5 came about? Was there a clear drop-off, or did you limit it to 5 in all cases except where the line between 5 and 6 was too close to call?

Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:01 pm
Hard to find much to complain about with these nominations, which are much more interesting than the official selections. The forum did good!

Only one category really surprised me:

Pedro wrote:
BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
Cave of Forgotten Dreams

Did people not see Senna and Tabloid? I think I placed Cave of Forgotten Dreams on my ballot, but it was a distant third behind the other two I mentioned. It doesn't seem right that both of them missed the cut.

Anyway, good list, Pedro! I'm assuming we'll all be sending pm's to you with our picks for the winners?

Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:19 pm
PeachyPete wrote:
YES!

I want to hug the members of Reelviews for not giving The Artist a Best Picture nomination. I love you guys for that. But Bejo, Best Actress? Really? She wasn't even serviceable in that role! Watch her dance! She. Can't. Dance. She could smile, and that's about it.

Pedro, if you don't mind me asking, how many people ended up sending in nominations? I'm not looking for any names, just wondering about the raw numbers. How did this year compare to past years?

And - Jessie Eisenberg for Shame? Huh?

There were fifteen ballots. If Jonsh had time to submit full nominees instead of just FYC text, that would have been been sixteen. That's better than in past years and not cause for distress. Would I like a little more? Sure. I can think of at least two, maybe three people who didn't vote this year who have voted in years passed. Twenty would be baller. Maybe next year!

Yeah, I used last year's template for making the post, so that's how Eisenberg slipped through. I obviously meant Fassbender. Good catch, sir.

Bones wrote:
Pedro, can you shed any light on how the decision to limit it to 5 came about? Was there a clear drop-off, or did you limit it to 5 in all cases except where the line between 5 and 6 was too close to call?

It's almost as simple as no one could get around one film. I mean, obviously, people got around five films, but that's about it. Whatever was in fifth place barely made it in with respect to the standard that I implemented for potential nominees. I tweaked things such that whatever the forum was gung ho about made it in. That's why some categories have several nominees and some, well, don't. No one cares about make-up! Or film editing...

I think it's a little odd, but cool, that The Skin I Live In's one nomination was not in the foreign language category. Super 8's one nomination was not technical.

Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:22 pm
I could be wrong, but I feel like no one voted for Brad Pitt in Moneyball. To put it in perspective, even Jack and Jill got noticed in make-up.

Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:23 pm
Pedro wrote:
It's almost as simple as no one could get around one film. I mean, obviously, people got around five films, but that's about it. Whatever was in fifth place barely made it in with respect to the standard that I implemented for potential nominees. I tweaked things such that whatever the forum was gung ho about made it in. That's why some categories have several nominees and some, well, don't. No one cares about make-up! Or film editing...

Cool. Sounds like the best, most fair way to do it. Well done on the whole thing!

PeachyPete wrote:
Jessie Eisenberg for Shame? Huh?

Paging Funny or Die. Funny or Die to the white courtesy phone, please.

Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:35 pm
Blonde Almond wrote:
Did people not see Senna and Tabloid? I think I placed Cave of Forgotten Dreams on my ballot, but it was a distant third behind the other two I mentioned. It doesn't seem right that both of them missed the cut.

I am too disappointed about the lack of doc nominations although I understand the reasons why. Tabloid didn't make my ballot (though I did find it quite excellent; docs were strong this year), but I honestly thought it would make it in. Paradise Lost 3 was also #1 on my best picture ballot (a pipe dream, I know) and I figured the two that made it in would make it, but I thought there would be more.

Regarding Senna...had you heard a lot about it before you watched it? I had heard some good things and was minorly disappointed. It's certainly good, but I felt like most of ESPN's 30 for 30 films were better and that it would have played better in that enviornment. I'm not familiar or attracted to Senna's sport, so perhaps that's a factor too I suppose. Not coming down on you, just wondering what you loved about it.

Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:14 pm
Disappointments: Hugo in best picture noms but not The Artist, Brad Pitt's deceptively powerhouse work in Tree of Life getting overlooked

Other than that, I suppose it's a good list of noms, to the extent that I'm able to comment.

Well done, Pedro. 50 Internets to you.

Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:20 pm
Nice! ...and not so nice...

First: thanks Pedro. I really look forward to these and do appreciate all the hard work you put into this.

Second: good job folks. I think we've come up with nominations that are much more interesting than this year's Oscars.

That said, it wouldn't be fun if I couldn't complain, so complain I will!

1. I did not see any documentaries (unfortunately) and can understand that there weren't enough nominees. But...only 2 Foreign Language nominations???? Are you kidding me??? I didn't realise that a film forum would be so subtitle-averse. That sucks, especially since enough people saw The Skin I Live In for it to score a Costume nomination. Incidentally, I nominated Skin for a shitload of technical categories. Too bad it didn't score more technical noms.

2. No 'big' nominations for Certified Copy :( I suspect it might have been a little under-seen. Maybe. Maybe not.

3. We obviously loved Drive, but no Carey Mulligan for Supporting Actress? I'm surprised.

That said, I'm still very pleased with our nominations. Surprisingly, it's the little things that made me smile. Hanna for Best Use of Music. What a great nomination!

Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:30 pm
Ken wrote:
Disappointments: Hugo in best picture noms but not The Artist

Did you not like Hugo, Ken, or did you just prefer The Artist?

Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:31 pm
Shade wrote:
Blonde Almond wrote:
Regarding Senna...had you heard a lot about it before you watched it? I had heard some good things and was minorly disappointed. It's certainly good, but I felt like most of ESPN's 30 for 30 films were better and that it would have played better in that enviornment. I'm not familiar or attracted to Senna's sport, so perhaps that's a factor too I suppose. Not coming down on you, just wondering what you loved about it.

I don't usually watch, or even care for, sports documentaries, unless they're about baseball. I haven't seen the ESPN 30 for 30 films either. But I was amazed at how engrossed I was in Senna, despite knowing nothing about professional racing. I might need to watch it again to remember some specifics, but I found the racing footage extremely visceral and the human story fascinatingly tragic.

I didn't see many documentaries in the last year though, and I'm just now catching up on some of the more well-regarded ones. I still haven't seen The Interrupters, and I need to watch the Paradise Lost films as well.

Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:28 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
Did you not like Hugo, Ken, or did you just prefer The Artist?

I think The Artist was the better film, but I like them both.

Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:35 am
Cinematographer

Ken wrote:
Disappointments: Hugo in best picture noms but not The Artist

This.

PeachyPete wrote:

It's not a best dancing nomination, bro. It's not like it was Black Swan either.

Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:30 am
Critic

Woooo our nominations are so much better. Right on Pedro!

Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:15 am
Second Unit Director

I am pretty satisfied with the overall nominations. Great job, Pedro and everybody who voted. There are a few films that I loved that didn't make it but still... I'd take the Pedros over the Oscars any day.

1) The one I loved but knew had a slim chance was Margin Call. It was first on my Original Screenplay list and high up on my direction list. Both Irons and Spacey made my Supporting Actor list and the film itself was top on my list for Best Ensemble. I am not surprised at the complete lack of nominations for the film but I am slightly disappointed.

2) I also had Ryan Gosling in for The Ides of March where I felt he was marginally better than in Drive, especially the scene in the car. Boy, he nailed that. Still, happy that he got in at least which cannot be said for the Academy. Also elated to see Jessica Chastain in for one of her performances. She claimed a higher spot on my list for Take Shelter where she was simply splendid, but really as long she's there, I have no qualms. The acting categories are pretty much what I expected them to be.

The others are pretty much in line with what I had in mind. I am really glad to see films like Certfied Copy, Martha Marcy May Marlene, Attack the Block etc. on the list. It will be interesting to see how the final vote turns out as well.

Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:57 pm
Profile WWW
Critic

Balaji Sivaraman wrote:
I am pretty satisfied with the overall nominations. Great job, Pedro and everybody who voted. There are a few films that I loved that didn't make it but still... I'd take the Pedros over the Oscars any day.

1) The one I loved but knew had a slim chance was Margin Call. It was first on my Original Screenplay list and high up on my direction list. Both Irons and Spacey made my Supporting Actor list and the film itself was top on my list for Best Ensemble. I am not surprised at the complete lack of nominations for the film but I am slightly disappointed.

2) I also had Ryan Gosling in for The Ides of March where I felt he was marginally better than in Drive, especially the scene in the car. Boy, he nailed that. Still, happy that he got in at least which cannot be said for the Academy. Also elated to see Jessica Chastain in for one of her performances. She claimed a higher spot on my list for Take Shelter where she was simply splendid, but really as long she's there, I have no qualms. The acting categories are pretty much what I expected them to be.

The others are pretty much in line with what I had in mind. I am really glad to see films like Certfied Copy, Martha Marcy May Marlene, Attack the Block etc. on the list. It will be interesting to see how the final vote turns out as well.

I voted for Margin Call for screenplay too

Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:40 pm
Balaji Sivaraman wrote:
I'd take the Pedros over the Oscars any day.
Is that what we're calling them now?

I like it.

Can I make the statue?

Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:16 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
Only 2 Foreign Language nominations???? Are you kidding me??? I didn't realise that a film forum would be so subtitle-averse. That sucks, especially since enough people saw The Skin I Live In for it to score a Costume nomination. Incidentally, I nominated Skin for a shitload of technical categories. Too bad it didn't score more technical noms.

2. No 'big' nominations for Certified Copy :( I suspect it might have been a little under-seen. Maybe. Maybe not.

It somehow never crossed my mind that Certified Copy counts as a foreign language film. My memory has it as a film mostly in English--more English than even, say, Inglourious Basterds. But I understand that that's not really what the category means.

Even if I had remembered that it counted, I don't think I would have put it on my ballot. It was the only "foreign language" film I saw last year, and although I admired much of what it was going for, it just didn't work for me on one viewing. I know I need to give it at least a second viewing, but on one viewing I wouldn't put it up for Best Foreign Language Film. Juliette Binoche's performance, however, is a great nominee for Best Actress.

I did a similar thing, by the way, with animated film. I only saw two this year--Arthur Christmas and Rango. I liked Arthur Christmas quite a bit and was really mixed on Rango. So instead of slotting Rango at #2 where I didn't think it belonged, my ballot was "1. Arthur Christmas".

EDIT: I find the lack of enthusiasm / consensus for Best Editing a bit odd. I've always thought of editing--maybe even more than directing--as the one discipline in movie-making most directly related to the overall quality of the movie. If I really like a certain line delivery or a certain back-and-forth in a catty dialog scene or a certain pulse-pounding climax to an action scene, it's the editor that picked the particular shots and arranged them to make them so good. So I find it weird when Best Directing tracks so closely to Best Picture but Best Editing doesn't.

Last edited by Bones on Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:20 pm
Ken wrote:
Balaji Sivaraman wrote:
I'd take the Pedros over the Oscars any day.
Is that what we're calling them now?

I like it.

I'll third that.

Also, um... how exactly do we do the vote for the winners and when is the deadline? Do we rank the nominees, indicating what we haven't seen, or do we just pick a winner for each category? Sorry if this was explained and I missed it.

Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:56 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next