Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:35 pm

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
The Third Annual ReelViews Academy Awards 
Post Re: The Third Annual ReelViews Academy Awards
Ken wrote:
I am excited for this. Physically.

Me too. So, it's 10am, that means the nominees should be posted by now, right? (Kidding, Pedro. Kidding)

PeachyPete wrote:
I wasn't too terribly pleased with mine, either. There was just so much I hadn't seen that a lot of people around here loved (Certified Copy, Melancholia, Take Shelter, etc.), that I felt like my nominations weren't up to par. Oh well. I guess everyone has stuff they haven't seen so it should all even out in the end, right?

Just so long as you see Certified Copy before voting for the winners. I wasn't very big on the movie itself, but Juliette Binoche should run away with Best Actress if enough people saw it.

As for me, the four I really wish I'd managed to get to in time are Descendants, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Take Shelter, and A Separation. And Meek's Cutoff is on Netflix Instant, so I really have no excuse there.

Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:07 am
Bones wrote:
Just so long as you see Certified Copy before voting for the winners. I wasn't very big on the movie itself, but Juliette Binoche should run away with Best Actress if enough people saw it.

As for me, the four I really wish I'd managed to get to in time are Descendants, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Take Shelter, and A Separation. And Meek's Cutoff is on Netflix Instant, so I really have no excuse there.

I'll definitely watch that and Meek's Cutoff before the final vote, since both are on Netflix Instant. Take Shelter is available through Redbox and On Demand, so I should be able to see that as well.

I say you should absolutely see A Separation and Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. They ended up being numbers 1 and 2 on my Best Picture nominations.

Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:40 am
PeachyPete wrote:
I say you should absolutely see A Separation and Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. They ended up being numbers 1 and 2 on my Best Picture nominations.

Is there any (legal) way to see Tinker Tailor right now? I managed to miss its couple-week run in area theaters (forced the wife to see The Grey and took her to Big Miracle to make up for it), and as far as I can tell its not out in any other format yet. Bummer. Same question for A Separation.

Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:49 am
Second Unit Director

Bones wrote:
Yeah, I just got to in time yesterday and thought it was one of the best films of last year. The film itself was second on my list for BP only after A Separation. And Juliette Binoche was also second on my list for Best Actress. I personally thought Michelle Williams deserved to be on the top of my list for taking on such a difficult iconic role and nailing it in such a remarkable fashion. She really was brilliant as Marilyn and so I gave her the top spot on my list. But Binoche was second with a great performance.

All around Certified Copy claimed a number of spots on my list. A really great film worth every bit of hype it has been getting.

Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:00 pm
Profile WWW
Bones wrote:
Is there any (legal) way to see Tinker Tailor right now? I managed to miss its couple-week run in area theaters (forced the wife to see The Grey and took her to Big Miracle to make up for it), and as far as I can tell its not out in any other format yet. Bummer. Same question for A Separation.

I don't think so. I don't know how far away you live from a big city, but both are likely playing in urban arthouse theaters. I live near DC and both of the films are still at my local arthouse cinema. That's really the only way I can think of seeing them at this point.

Balaji Sivaraman wrote:
All around Certified Copy claimed a number of spots on my list. A really great film worth every bit of hype it has been getting.

I really need to see it. For those that care about such things, Criterion recently announced they will be releasing an edition of the film. I think it comes out in May.

Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:08 pm
Officially working on it with the deadline closing ten minutes ago. It's the perfect remedy for my sick self. I'll tease stuff when I get a little closer to realizing who may or may not be nominated. I'd be lying if I said I don't have a boner.

Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:11 pm
I'm taking a lunch break now, but so far, there have been some interesting choices. It will be amusing to me if Jessica Chastain can score four separate ReelViews nominations, or zero.

Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:25 pm
Pedro wrote:
Officially working on it with the deadline closing ten minutes ago. It's the perfect remedy for my sick self. I'll tease stuff when I get a little closer to realizing who may or may not be nominated. I'd be lying if I said I don't have a boner.

I have a boner just thinking about your boner!!!! Wait, no. Uhhhhh...

I'm excited. But not for boners. Or maybe I am.

Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:26 pm
PeachyPete wrote:
Pedro wrote:

I have a boner just thinking about your boner!!!! Wait, no. Uhhhhh...

I'm excited. But not for boners. Or maybe I am.

+ 8====D

Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:48 pm
Pedro wrote:
I'm taking a lunch break now, but so far, there have been some interesting choices. It will be amusing to me if Jessica Chastain can score four separate ReelViews nominations, or zero.

Interesting. You'll have to let us know how close she got on performances she misses a nomination for. I had a related realization after I turned in my ballot. I had Ryan Gosling on my ballot, but for Ides of March. I realized later that I probably should have nominated him for Drive instead, not because I think it's a better performance (though it's close), but since he's more likely to get the nomination there. Maybe that's just overthinking it, but overthinking it is where a lot of the fun comes from.

Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:11 pm
PeachyPete wrote:
I'm still pretty damn excited to see the nominees.

Me too, x1000

I'm actually fairly satisfied with my nominations. I mean, I didn't see nearly enough of what I wanted to, but I did put a lot of thought into my nominees. What surprised me was just how different they were from the academy. I mean, I give the Oscars a lot of shit like everyone else, but they are the only major awards that gets things kind-of right. In previous years I had quite a bit of overlap, but not this year. Doubt my taste has changed much so I think it's just that most of the nominees sucked.

Of course, all that was probably for nought. Did anyone else nominate Jared Hess for his brilliant turn in Sherlock Holmes? No?

Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:05 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:
I'm still pretty damn excited to see the nominees.

Me too, x1000

I'm actually fairly satisfied with my nominations. I mean, I didn't see nearly enough of what I wanted to, but I did put a lot of thought into my nominees. What surprised me was just how different they were from the academy. I mean, I give the Oscars a lot of shit like everyone else, but they are the only major awards that gets things kind-of right. In previous years I had quite a bit of overlap, but not this year. Doubt my taste has changed much so I think it's just that most of the nominees sucked.

Of course, all that was probably for nought. Did anyone else nominate Jared Hess for his brilliant turn in Sherlock Holmes? No?

I think the International Cinephile Society is really the only organization that gets things right, but that's up for debate.

Update: lots of potential surprises coming, lots of overlap with the Academy. There will be at least one category that does not have five nominees.

Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:09 pm
Also, the continued presence of Win Win is making Microsoft Word's blood boil. Yes, I want to ignore the damn repeated word! Stop asking me!

Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:12 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
What surprised me was just how different they were from the academy. I mean, I give the Oscars a lot of shit like everyone else, but they are the only major awards that gets things kind-of right. In previous years I had quite a bit of overlap, but not this year. Doubt my taste has changed much so I think it's just that most of the nominees sucked.

Yeah, I was surprised how different mine were too. In all the acting categories, only 1 of my picks was nominated for an Oscar (Gary Oldman).

If anyone's interested, I made a big blog post with all my picks from the major categories (link in signature).

And yes, I am also very excited to see the nominees.

Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:43 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:

Off the top of my head I didn't have a whole lot of overlap either. I did have Jared Harris #3 or 4. I also had Alan Rickman somewhere. Even though he really had only the one memorable segment, it was one hell of a segment. Probably my weirdest in the main categories was Sherlock Holmes at #5 for Best Picture. I kept watching more movies expecting something to jump it, but... not yet. Not expecting to see that one in the nominees. :)

Last edited by Bones on Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:53 pm
No one has seen Pina!!!!!

Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:04 pm
DUDE...

I just noticed last night that it's at our local mini arty theatre. I was thinking about taking the kids. What do you think?

Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:52 am
Second Unit Director

Bones wrote:
Interesting. You'll have to let us know how close she got on performances she misses a nomination for. I had a related realization after I turned in my ballot. I had Ryan Gosling on my ballot, but for Ides of March. I realized later that I probably should have nominated him for Drive instead, not because I think it's a better performance (though it's close), but since he's more likely to get the nomination there. Maybe that's just overthinking it, but overthinking it is where a lot of the fun comes from.
I ended up nominating him for both. At first, I kept a personal criteria that an actor only gets one nomination. But then the more I thought about it, the more I realized that there wasn't anyone on my list who had given a better performance than he did in those two films. The same applies for Jessica Chastain also who made my Supporting Actress list for Take Shelter and The Help. I wanted to put her in for The Tree of Life as well but felt that would be taking things too far. :lol:

As for my nominations, it was incredibly different from the Academy's. I mean if I had done this last year, Inception would've been on my list for many awards, but I always knew it is the kind of film that doesn't win Oscar noms in any of the major categories. However, this year it seems to be totally different. Nothing excuses snubs for Martha Marcy May Marlene, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Take Shetler, Drive, The Ides of March (acting-wise), Tintin etc. This year has been the worst in recent memory as far as Oscar nominations go. As ed said, that is why my ballot was drastically different from the Academy's.

Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:42 am
Profile WWW
ram1312 wrote:
DUDE...

I just noticed last night that it's at our local mini arty theatre. I was thinking about taking the kids. What do you think?

Not sure if serious.

Is this a movie kids would like? Might be better to rent Kung-Fu Panda 2. Of course, I could be wrong. Haven't seen it so it could be delightful. Or you could have been joking. If so I feel stupid. And, if not, I feel stupid for suggesting that you might have been joking. Shit.

Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:03 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3