Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:49 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
The Walking Dead 
Post Re: The Walking Dead
....soooo anyone watch last night?!

Not much to report about the episode, probably going to be another slow series of episodes that build to a climax.

Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:26 pm
Colin wrote:

Not much to report about the episode, probably going to be another slow series of episodes that build to a climax.

I thought season 3 wasn't starting until later this year, in the fall. Not that it really matters, as I'm pretty much done with that show now.

Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:51 pm
Ragnarok73 wrote:
Colin wrote:

I thought season 3 wasn't starting until later this year, in the fall. Not that it really matters, as I'm pretty much done with that show now.

They are running the 2nd half of season 2 now (the barn episode was mid-season break).

You're right Colin...it did start rather slow. Hopefully the latter half of the season is not just farm-to town-to farm - to town. Something's gotta happen to make them move on from the farm.

Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:13 am
Producer

Was burning all of those bodies really such a good idea? Shouldn't they be worried about the smoke attracting more "walkers"?

All in all, it was good but not great episode. The best scenes were definitely the ones between Rick and Hershall. But there better some consequences to Rick killing those two guys at the end, otherwise their inclusion was pointless and nothing but filler.

Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:31 am
That 10-minute standoff in the bar at the end might have been the best sequence since the pilot.

I just realized that I created this thread but didn't offer up any thoughts on the second season so far. I'm not an avid TV watcher, so I don't really have any other programs that I can use to compare the quality. I'll just say that, for the most part, I enjoyed the first half of the second season, although it certainly isn't without its problems.

I think part of the problem is the difference in pacing between the first and second seasons. The first season really moved, visiting a variety of locales over a short period of time. I actually felt it moved too fast at some points. The second season, on the other hand, slowed it all down to a crawl. Whether due to budget limitations or some other factor, the slow pace and limited environment of the second season is a sharp contrast to the structure of the first season. This has provided more time for character development, which is a mixed bag. Rick is still an interesting character, and nicely played, but Lori is one of the most consistently irritating characters I've seen on TV for awhile, and the actress playing her is horrible. I could go through the rest of the cast to outline the good (Scott Wilson's Herschel) and the bad (T-Bone?), but suffice to say there are high and low points.

The second half of the season has started out with promise, and the preview at the end of the first episode hints that things may be picking up very soon (Maybe they'll finally leave the damn farm!). I still think this is good television, although I'm not sure if I'm partially biased because I have read the comics. If the show follows the general outline of the books, and so far it has, there will be many interesting plot developments that could make for some really great television. So I'll continue to tune in for now, with the hope that things will start to get much better.

Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:29 pm
ilovemovies wrote:
But there better some consequences to Rick killing those two guys at the end, otherwise their inclusion was pointless and nothing but filler.

Judging by the previews for next week, there will be consequences (those 2 guys were not alone). Confrontation with another, more ruthless pack of survivors may be the catalyst to get them off of the farm.

Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:34 pm
I just realized this thread existed! Awesome. I should probably check the TV section a little more.

Like Blonde Almond, I'm not that avid a TV watcher, either. I do enjoy this show, though. I think the show's strength is the contrast they portray between Shane and Rick. I think this week's episode had one of the better ways to show the contrast, with Rick saving the kid who's leg was impaled on the gate. Compared to how ruthlessly Shane killed Otis earlier in the season to save his own skin, we see quite a contrast in the 2 men. Really, it's a difference in ideologies. Rick is trying to hold on to the older, more human ways of the world before the zombie infestation, while Shane is ready to move on to the more callous, survival of the fittest ways. I think the supporting characters all mesh with the theme of the show well, and bring out small insights into how these people are all either willing to sacrifice some humanity to survive, or aren't.

That said, while these ideas are pretty strong and executed well, sometimes the plot moves a little too slow for my taste as well. The whole searching for Sophia angle of the first half of the second season, while it ended with a great payoff, just dragged and dragged. We knew she wasn't going to be found alive, and while I enjoyed how it was ultimately handled, it felt like it was used more as a way to shock the audience in the cliffhanger episode, than it was an organic part of the story.

Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:07 am
Oh boy oh boy oh boy...I am VERY excited for the next episode after how Sunday's ended.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Rick's facial expression at the end was raise the hair on the back of your neck intense. Not really a spoiler but I figured i'd hide it just in case.

Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:30 pm
Producer

[Reveal] Spoiler:
RIP Dale! You were one of my favorites :cry:

Great episode and what a sad, sad ending.

That said, I can't believe how stupid Carl was throughout the episode. What a dumb kid!

Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:08 pm
ilovemovies wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

That said, I can't believe how stupid Carl was throughout the episode. What a dumb kid!

Yeah...I think they piled on the Carl rebellious streak a little too heavily and too quickly. Rebellious and stupid...a baaaaad combination.

We'll have to see also how the "choosing between 2 fathers" paradigm works out.

Is Carl going to take away that not taking out the stuck walker led to bad things happening so that not taking out the kid in the barn will also lead to bad things? Will Carl take matters into his own hands??? Probably not, maybe if he were a little older.

Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:26 am
johnny larue wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

Yeah...I think they piled on the Carl rebellious streak a little too heavily and too quickly. Rebellious and stupid...a baaaaad combination.

We'll have to see also how the "choosing between 2 fathers" paradigm works out.

Is Carl going to take away that not taking out the stuck walker led to bad things happening so that not taking out the kid in the barn will also lead to bad things? Will Carl take matters into his own hands??? Probably not, maybe if he were a little older.

I see Carl doing something nuts coming up. Whether it is in killing the prisoner himself or showing violence some other way, I just feel it coming.

Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:36 pm
bob harris wrote:
I see Carl doing something nuts coming up. Whether it is in killing the prisoner himself or showing violence some other way, I just feel it coming.

If the comics are any indication, at some point in the next two episodes we may see:

(Possibly big spoilers here, although it's no guarantee that this will actually happen.)

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Carl killing Shane.

This would make sense with the way the show has developed Carl recently.

Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:00 pm
Outstanding episode sunday!!

won't even write a thing about it. Pretty much anything I say will be a spoiler.

Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:09 pm
When Darabont left, this show just sank, bad. I loved the first season, have absolutely hated the second season. The only interesting character to me is the redneck....and I know I don't get to blame the writers for everything because they have graphic novels to follow (which I haven't read), but carl should have died with the gun shot. That little fucker is an annoying brat.

Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:14 am
roastbeef_ajus wrote:
When Darabont left, this show just sank, bad. I loved the first season, have absolutely hated the second season. The only interesting character to me is the redneck....and I know I don't get to blame the writers for everything because they have graphic novels to follow (which I haven't read), but carl should have died with the gun shot. That little fucker is an annoying brat.

I couldn't disagree more. I found Season 1 merely decent. I didn't feel like the show was much more than a weekly encounter with zombies. If was fun and mildly entertaining, but I didn't feel like it was trying to say a whole lot. Season 2 has been pretty excellent and actually has some thematic heft. The way the show has contrasted the different ideaologies, mainly through Shane and Rick and extending the ideas down to everyone else in the group, has been really well done. Added to that, there's been quite a bit more suspense, and that's only increased in the last few episodes. I don't know, I've just found Season 2 better in just about every regard.

Also, I don't care whether they're following the graphic novels or not. I think it's ridiculous to care about that in any platform, as this is an adaptation, not a strict, line-by-line, plot point-by-plot point retelling. There's nothing wrong with interpreting a source material a different way, and there's nothing wrong with making changes to it, either.

Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:54 am
PeachyPete wrote:
roastbeef_ajus wrote:

I couldn't disagree more. I found Season 1 merely decent. I didn't feel like the show was much more than a weekly encounter with zombies. If was fun and mildly entertaining, but I didn't feel like it was trying to say a whole lot. Season 2 has been pretty excellent and actually has some thematic heft. The way the show has contrasted the different ideaologies, mainly through Shane and Rick and extending the ideas down to everyone else in the group, has been really well done. Added to that, there's been quite a bit more suspense, and that's only increased in the last few episodes. I don't know, I've just found Season 2 better in just about every regard.

Also, I don't care whether they're following the graphic novels or not. I think it's ridiculous to care about that in any platform, as this is an adaptation, not a strict, line-by-line, plot point-by-plot point retelling. There's nothing wrong with interpreting a source material a different way, and there's nothing wrong with making changes to it, either.

It depends on the amount of license the TV producers take when adapting the source material. As far as I'm concerned, the whole plot point with Sophia was milked way more than it should have been, and while I understand that they wanted to develop the characters, this could have been done while moving the plot along. Keep in mind, they were already taking license with Sophia given that in the comics:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
SHE NEVER DIED.

Fuck that show now.

Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:50 pm
Ragnarok73 wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:
roastbeef_ajus wrote:

It depends on the amount of license the TV producers take when adapting the source material. As far as I'm concerned, the whole plot point with Sophia was milked way more than it should have been, and while I understand that they wanted to develop the characters, this could have been done while moving the plot along. Keep in mind, they were already taking license with Sophia given that in the comics:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
SHE NEVER DIED.

Fuck that show now.

It just doesn't bother me. I think people get emotionally attached to a source material and then get angry when a decision they don't like is made. Then the whole, "it should have been like the book/comic/whatever is being adapted" mindset comes into play. It's a lame way to criticize something you don't like. To me, it's much more interesting to try to figure out why someone would make a change than it is to bash said change simply because it's different than it once was. Not liking how the Sophia plot point was handled is a fine, legit criticism. Not liking it simply because it's different than the source material isn't (which I'm not accusing you of, for the record). If I wanted to see something exactly as it previously was, I would check it out in whatever form it previously was made in.

Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:20 pm
I understand the complaint about the Sophia plot line...but I think the payoff was worth it.

Also...the last couple episodes have been a couple of the best(except for annoying Carl). Finally taking some risks.

I could care less about the source material. I treat things like this as "inspired by" the source material.

Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:18 pm
Colin wrote:
I understand the complaint about the Sophia plot line...but I think the payoff was worth it.

Also...the last couple episodes have been a couple of the best(except for annoying Carl). Finally taking some risks.

I could care less about the source material. I treat things like this as "inspired by" the source material.

I don't mind license being taken, depending on how it's done. It's clear that the producers were trying to milk it for ratings and ad revenue, and I hold no truck with that bullshit.

Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:21 pm
Producer

I definitely agree with those that say season 2 is better than the season 1. I love season 1, I thought it was great. But season 2 is definitely been even better. The whole Rick/Shane conflict couldn't have been handled better and was executed perfectly. The scene where Rick finally kills Shane was such a powerful scene too.

Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:41 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next