Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:00 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
The Third Annual ReelViews Academy Awards 
Post Re: The Third Annual ReelViews Academy Awards
Sometime in February is all I can promise. I'm waiting for everything to show up in my area. I'll get back to you on that in a bit.

Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:44 pm
You should post this in another forum, Pedro to promote it a bit better. It's tough to find buried under the "first annual" banner. Just happened by it this year, thought you weren't going to do it.

Always fun though, my picks to come!

Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:16 pm
I will, though it'll just be a link to this topic.

In the meantime: February 21st/February 22nd is your deadline. I want to get to work by 10:00 AM Thursday morning.

Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:28 am
Question: how will the one-actor-two-movies thing work? For example, if I want to nominate Seth Rogen as supporting actor for 50/50 and Paul, do I list him once with both movies or does he take up two spots among my 5 nominees?

Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:29 am
Producer

This site is helpful for remembering which movies came out in 2011.

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/index2011.php

A lot of movies get listed as coming out on December 31 which really don't come out till the next year, so you may want to check http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/index2010.php as well.

Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:11 pm
Producer

I consider Bérénice Bejo a lead in The Artist, too. She's splitting the categories in the various awards. Shailene Woodley in The Descendants is close to being a lead as well, but everyone seems to be putting her in supporting so I will, too. The Help, on the other hand, has two actresses in leading roles.

Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:23 pm
Syd Henderson wrote:
I consider Bérénice Bejo a lead in The Artist, too. She's splitting the categories in the various awards. Shailene Woodley in The Descendants is close to being a lead as well, but everyone seems to be putting her in supporting so I will, too. The Help, on the other hand, has two actresses in leading roles.

Which two? If it's Octavia and Viola, I don't quite agree. If it's Emma and Viola, I'm closer to agreeing. You could argue that's all three or just Emma, too.

The central connection in The Help, if you ask me, is between Skeeter and Aibileen. Skeeter's connection with Minny is somewhat secondary, as is Minny's connection with Celia. This why I feel Emma and Viola are the leads and Octavia and Jessica are supporting.

But the main, main, main character is Skeeter and that's part of why I don't like The Help. She's not memorable in the least, but the story revolves around her and her book.

In conclusion, let's keep Emma and Viola in the lead category.

Bones wrote:
Question: how will the one-actor-two-movies thing work? For example, if I want to nominate Seth Rogen as supporting actor for 50/50 and Paul, do I list him once with both movies or does he take up two spots among my 5 nominees?

He takes up two spots.

Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:58 pm
Producer

I was referring to Emma Stone and Viola Davis as leads in The Help. Everyone else is supporting, including all the male characters.

Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:25 pm
I would think that in cases like that, whichever actors (one male, one female) have the most screen time would be considered the leads, though the Academy has departed from this definition a few times.

Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:38 pm
Producer

In the case of The Help, none of the male characters really have enough importance to be considered a lead. Even the love interest for Emma Stone is less important to the movie than Octavia Spenser and Jessica Chastain, who are both supporting.

Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:28 pm
I'm only speaking technically. I don't mean to say that any of them fills the function of the lead in the story, just that if the Academy needs to pick one, they'll have to default to some kind of definitional criteria.

Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:31 pm
Pedro wrote:

In the meantime: February 21st/February 22nd is your deadline. I want to get to work by 10:00 AM Thursday morning.

Pedro, are we doing two votes again this year? That is, we create nominees first and then select winners a few weeks later?

Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:40 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
Pedro wrote:

Pedro, are we doing two votes again this year? That is, we create nominees first and then select winners a few weeks later?

Maybe. Probably.

Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:08 pm
*groans in self-pity*

I'll participate in order to honor the "goodest forum on earth" (David Bordwell) but I wonder how I'll manage to catch up on the 20-30 films I need to see in order to make my ballot both timely and respectable. I should have learned to tesser like I promised myself I would in third grade. And then again in 7th. And last year.

Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:50 pm
Major Aphasia wrote:
*groans in self-pity*

I'll participate in order to honor the "goodest forum on earth" (David Bordwell) but I wonder how I'll manage to catch up on the 20-30 films I need to see in order to make my ballot both timely and respectable. I should have learned to tesser like I promised myself I would in third grade. And then again in 7th. And last year.

Instead of mastering the manipulation of space-time, do what I'm doing and base your decisions on the tiny number of 2011 films you've seen, and fuck 'em if they don't like it. Then master space-time once that's out of the way.

Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:15 am
Pedro wrote:

So uh... I meant February 22nd/February 23rd. My bad.

I can't add 14+7 apparently...

Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:23 am
Producer

There are still a few movies I need to see. Melancholia, The Artist, Martha Marcy May Marlene, Hugo among a few others. But if by the 21st I still haven't seen them then I'll just send my current picks.

Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:12 am
Damnit man...this shit is hard. I'm fucking terrible at decisions. And I'm not liking my nominations considering how highly you guys spoke of movies I hadn't seen...but whatever. I'll keep going with this thing. It'll be on its way tonight Pedro...

Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:12 pm
I am excited for this. Physically.

Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:56 pm
ram1312 wrote:
Damnit man...this shit is hard. I'm fucking terrible at decisions. And I'm not liking my nominations considering how highly you guys spoke of movies I hadn't seen...but whatever. I'll keep going with this thing. It'll be on its way tonight Pedro...

I wasn't too terribly pleased with mine, either. There was just so much I hadn't seen that a lot of people around here loved (Certified Copy, Melancholia, Take Shelter, etc.), that I felt like my nominations weren't up to par. Oh well. I guess everyone has stuff they haven't seen so it should all even out in the end, right?

I'm still pretty damn excited to see the nominees.

Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:22 am
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next