It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:50 pm

February 07, 2012: "Don't Worry, Be Happy" 
Site Admin

Post February 07, 2012: "Don't Worry, Be Happy"
Click here to read topic.

Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:25 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: February 07, 2012: "Don't Worry, Be Happy"
Good "thoughts" James. Don't really have a useful comment to make as I'm usually a year behind the Oscar bait when they make the DVD / Netflix / HBO rounds. Of the major acting/directing/best picture categories, I can only claim to have seen 1 nominee: Rooney Mara in The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. (FWIW, she's got my vote.) I don't think I've ever been this "shut out" in terms of seeing Oscar nominated movies in the theater. Kids take a lot out of you, eh?

Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:52 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

I counted 22, but suspect I missed several...

Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:52 pm
Quote:
Fassbender captured only the first one. In public comments, the actor has been gracious in neglect, but that's what we expect from the English. Patient and unflappable.

Just a minor quibble, Fassbender could be accused of being German or Irish, but definitely not English...

Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:53 pm
So who really did give the better acting performance - William Shatner or Jar Jar Binks? :P

Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:17 pm
Site Admin

haynesm wrote:
I counted 22, but suspect I missed several...

I think it's 26, unless I missed several (or miscounted)... :)

I'll post a full list here in a few days.

Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:33 pm
Profile WWW
Gaffer

Great post, James. I have also reached the point where I generally don't allow Oscar nominations (or lack thereof) to bother me. The only exception, and the times when I still can't help getting a little worked up, is when the perceived "snub" is a film that is really struggling financially, and desperately could use the modest box office boost that comes with Oscar nominations. This year, for example, I couldn't help feel a little gutted when "Dragon Tattoo" got denied a "Best Picture" nomination because here is a film whose future as a saga going forward--i.e. whether or not it's going to continue with Parts II and III--is still very much up in the air (you mention "Bridesmaids" as being the film left out because of "Extremely Loud," but most of the Oscar nomination projections that I read had predicted "Dragon Tattoo" getting in before "Bridesmaids," and even ahead of the nominated "War Horse"). This is a film that has been a modest success, but hasn't brought in the lucrative revenue that Sony ideally hoped for. As a result, although Sony has tenatively announced plans to go forward with Part II, there is still a possibility that they could choose to pull the plug, especially since Fincher is demanding that they film Parts II and III simultaneously. The prestige and modest box office boost that "Dragon Tattoo" would have received, however, with a "Best Picture" nomination, could have made Sony more willing to green-light Parts II and III.

In short, then, I don't care about Oscar nominations for the purposes of bragging rights or for the sake of a film's posterity, but I am somewhat concerned when nominations can have meaningful business implications going forward. Otherwise, your points, James, are well-taken.

Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:48 pm
I've never been angry about nominations/winners but I have been amused.

'No Country for old men' - good but not commercially viable...

'Slumdog millionaire' - commercially viable but not good...

Funny how these things work out!

Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:16 pm
It's funny how the last two (three, counting both pieces of "By George!") are essentially JB pleading for some kind of sanity in the world of movie fandom.

For the record, Shatner was awesome in Wrath of Khan. He actually verged on believability at times. Jar Jar has never been awesome.

Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:38 pm
Ken wrote:
It's funny how the last two (three, counting both pieces of "By George!") are essentially JB pleading for some kind of sanity in the world of movie fandom.

For the record, Shatner was awesome in Wrath of Khan. He actually verged on believability at times. Jar Jar has never been awesome.

Not to mention a catalyst for the gloves coming off :P no names mentioned!

Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:01 pm
Gaffer

ck100 wrote:
So who really did give the better acting performance - William Shatner or Jar Jar Binks? :P

I... can... NOT... believe... you asked... that.

Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:31 pm
Dragonbeard wrote:
I always wear at least one glove when dealing with Ragnarok.

Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:47 pm
Gaffer

Mr. Berardinelli. I will preface this by saying I regularly visit your site and am a fan of your writing, but I'm not sure I understand your point in this article.

You mentioned that you were looking at things from "the wrong perspective" and go on to tell people of the nominations: "Don't approach them with anger..."

Yet you also talk about the whole thing being subjective. It seems like you're contradicting yourself. So, no offense, but who are you to tell people not to get angry? If it's all subjective, and allows them to "vent," let them get as angry and/or passionate as they want. Who cares? That's the fun of it. People get angry about sports as well. Are they wrong? No, but that's something they love.

For the Oscars, I am as guilty as anyone of being irritated at the nominations. These days I watch the ceremony for the prestige (what little is left) or specific categories I'm curious about. I shrug it off at this point whent when films I love get snubbed, but that doesn't mean debating the deserving from the undeserving isn't fun. I believe you can get heated and angry about things like this and still not take it personally.

It just gets on my nerves when people criticize others for voicing their opinions about the nominations, whether it be as anger or joy. No one's picks will ever perfectly match the Oscars, but oh well. That's all part of the game, right?

Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:57 pm
"In 2012, the most widely criticized nomination in the Best Picture category is Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, which some feel was unfairly included at the expense of Bridesmaids. From my perspective, that's the right call. But I wouldn't have been up in arms if it had gone the other way."

Though one can figure it out from the context, this isn't clear. What is the right call? The nominations as they are? Or the feeling that it was unfairly concluded.

I think you mean the former.

Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:31 pm
Ken wrote:
Dragonbeard wrote:
I always wear at least one glove when dealing with Ragnarok.

Win :P

chugs1124 wrote:
Mr. Berardinelli. I will preface this by saying I regularly visit your site and am a fan of your writing, but I'm not sure I understand your point in this article.

You mentioned that you were looking at things from "the wrong perspective" and go on to tell people of the nominations: "Don't approach them with anger..."

Yet you also talk about the whole thing being subjective. It seems like you're contradicting yourself. So, no offense, but who are you to tell people not to get angry? If it's all subjective, and allows them to "vent," let them get as angry and/or passionate as they want. Who cares? That's the fun of it. People get angry about sports as well. Are they wrong? No, but that's something they love.

For the Oscars, I am as guilty as anyone of being irritated at the nominations. These days I watch the ceremony for the prestige (what little is left) or specific categories I'm curious about. I shrug it off at this point whent when films I love get snubbed, but that doesn't mean debating the deserving from the undeserving isn't fun. I believe you can get heated and angry about things like this and still not take it personally.

It just gets on my nerves when people criticize others for voicing their opinions about the nominations, whether it be as anger or joy. No one's picks will ever perfectly match the Oscars, but oh well. That's all part of the game, right?

You're entirely right; self-righteous indignation (such as that displayed in reaction to Lucas) is just so entertaining, let them go at it :)

Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:27 pm
Dragonbeard wrote:
You're entirely right; self-righteous indignation (such as that displayed in reaction to Lucas) is just so entertaining, let them go at it :)

Douchebag responses like yours only add to the fun. Whoops, I guess the term in the UK would be "right twat" or "wanker".

Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:47 pm
Second Unit Director

The whole thing about the awards is that your making an assumption that they reward the right people at the right time for the best project.Just ask Martin Scorsese,John Wayne or Al Pacino.There was a director I believe who's art movie lost to a raunchy comedy about a old guys hockey league team and ranted that awards shows were popularity contests.Duh.They are industry awards the same kind that go builders,venders,architects,advertisers and cars.I am sure there are people who are up in arms over who is Car of the Year.Check out who gets nominated for awards like Cannes,Genies or Cesars and you can see they are not much better at times.There is a lot of politics in those decisions and I believe the average voting age for the Academy is something like 70 years old which probably says a lot of why certain things get nominated in the first place or ignored.

That leads people to say I don't understand how that guy didn't get nominated.The example used was Micheal Fassbender who is not English but born in Germany and grew up in Ireland.Interesting mistake like calling Kenneth Branagh and Richard Burton English or Napoleon French.Shame was not a very good movie (Auto Focus was better and more accessible)and his performance wasn't all that where there were several walk outs in my screening and I thought meh at the end.If anyone was memorable in a similar movie it would be Eva Green in Dreamers.I think the Academy got that right even though they got War Horse and Tree of Life wrong for Best Picture but they do have to come up with 10 movies which is not easy in this dumb down period of films.When I watched Annie Hall I could not believe this thing won the Best Picture of the year but when I saw it had next to no competition in the race and everything was forgettable other than Star Wars you see why.

The thing that was not mentioned in the article is the silly game of putting someone up for a supporting acting award when they really should be a lead part.I guess there is less competition in the supporting part and you can max out your nominations if your a producer but it looks a little stupid when a supporting actor has more screen time than the leads.For all they get wrong like nominating Best Documentary and Best Foreign Film they didn't allow Avatar to win best picture or nominate Lucas for anything since the 70's.My faith in humanity is restored.

Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:03 pm
oakenshield32 wrote:
.I think the Academy got that right even though they got War Horse and Tree of Life wrong for Best Picture but they do have to come up with 10 movies which is not easy in this dumb down period of films

They only came up with 9 BP nods...not 10.

Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:44 pm
Ragnarok73 wrote:
Dragonbeard wrote:

Douchebag responses like yours only add to the fun. Whoops, I guess the term in the UK would be "right twat" or "wanker".

Relax cupcake, it was a joke +playful slap on the shoulder+ :)

Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:16 pm
Ragnarok73 wrote:
Dragonbeard wrote:

Actually the term is a 'scallywag' or 'ragamuffin'. It's also what the Guv' calls me when he catches me with my hand in his sky rocket trying to hitch his kettle.

Anyway, keep yer Alans on ;)

Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:24 pm