Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:05 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
January 31, 2012: "By George! Defending Lucas (Part 2)" 
Post Re: January 31, 2012: "By George! Defending Lucas (Part 2)"
If I remember right, the Indiana Jones movies were originally only available in the box set, which is why I never bought them. I didn't realize that they were re-released individually.

So... yeah. I'm definitely in favor of the re-release.

Buying Raiders now. Thanks, ck100!

Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:28 pm
oakenshield32 wrote:
The 3D release of the Star Wars sextology just like the Titantic release is a blatant money grab pure and simple.There is no other way to see such as an unnecessary business action to fleece the audience by giving nothing special but asking a premium $16 admission.Wait till you see the Super Bowl where Lucas and Volkswagen have teamed up with a new commercial where the new VW Beetle shows up in the Mos Eisley cantina scene.VW won't talk about their unholy alliance with Lucasfilms but I wonder if they will start using Jedi Mind tricks into getting you to think they are actually good cars. Lucas is definitely not saying"Show me the money"

http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/01/31/10273608-volkswagen-has-its-head-in-the-star-wars-again-with-super-bowl-ad#.Tyfh83T_6JE

I believe the 3D release is a blatant money grab...but I do appreciate when older movies are displayed on the big screen. I didn't get to experience the original Star Wars in a theater and I would like to do so...I really don't want to wear special glasses though.

Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:59 pm
It has gotten so bad that many "fans" actually root for Lucas and his work to fail so they have a reason to shit on him (not that they wouldn't do it anyway). It's really pathetic.

Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:53 pm
BrianB wrote:
It has gotten so bad that many "fans" actually root for Lucas and his work to fail so they have a reason to shit on him (not that they wouldn't do it anyway). It's really pathetic.

It's hard to justify a statement like this given that Lucas isn't a failure in any sense of the word, at least on the financial side. If you're talking about the hopes that the 3D re-releases will not do well financially, well, that could be seen as a sign of hope, because it would be part of the message that the public are sending to Lucas and other studios that they've had enough with remakes, sequels, re-releases, 3D profiteering, etc.

Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:03 pm
Ragnarok73 wrote:
BrianB wrote:

It's hard to justify a statement like this given that Lucas isn't a failure in any sense of the word, at least on the financial side. If you're talking about the hopes that the 3D re-releases will not do well financially, well, that could be seen as a sign of hope, because it would be part of the message that the public are sending to Lucas and other studios that they've had enough with remakes, sequels, re-releases, 3D profiteering, etc.

Specifically, I'm referring to some comments I've seen online about the upcoming Star Wars TV show: "Please be a steaming pile of horse shit!", ect.

Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:27 pm
BrianB wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:
BrianB wrote:

Specifically, I'm referring to some comments I've seen online about the upcoming Star Wars TV show: "Please be a steaming pile of horse shit!", ect.

I don't know that I'd apply the word "fans" to people who express those kind of sentiments. I'd also like to think that most people don't obsess with Lucas to the point where they'd frequently express those sentiments. I think that most people just don't really care.

Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:29 pm
ck100 wrote:
Don't forget about Red Letter Media's recent Mr. Plinkett review of "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull". :) :P

http://redlettermedia.com/mr-plinetts-i ... ll-review/

I cannot believe I sat through this. It was over an hour long.

Allow me to bold type the part that concerns me, it was over an hour long!

At about the 20 second mark of the first video, I was appreciating what was going on. The idea of a one sentence review amused me, especially since the self promotion part was then longer.

Don't get me wrong, it was a funny TWO PART video (that was over an hour long!!!!!!!) but the guy could have made his points in a twenty minute... or ten minute video.

Also it's "We'd better not" :P

Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:06 am
roastbeef_ajus wrote:
oakenshield32 wrote:
The 3D release of the Star Wars sextology just like the Titantic release is a blatant money grab pure and simple.There is no other way to see such as an unnecessary business action to fleece the audience by giving nothing special but asking a premium $16 admission.Wait till you see the Super Bowl where Lucas and Volkswagen have teamed up with a new commercial where the new VW Beetle shows up in the Mos Eisley cantina scene.VW won't talk about their unholy alliance with Lucasfilms but I wonder if they will start using Jedi Mind tricks into getting you to think they are actually good cars. Lucas is definitely not saying"Show me the money"

http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/01/31/10273608-volkswagen-has-its-head-in-the-star-wars-again-with-super-bowl-ad#.Tyfh83T_6JE

I believe the 3D release is a blatant money grab...but I do appreciate when older movies are displayed on the big screen. I didn't get to experience the original Star Wars in a theater and I would like to do so...I really don't want to wear special glasses though.

Well, here in Peru they're re-releasing Episode I both in 3D *and* 2D formats. The main reasons I'm going to the midnight showing are that I'm a huge, non-Lucas-hater Star Wars fan and that I'm really excited to see the film on the big screen (I saw it when it was first released too, but I was 8 and can't remember anything)... it should be quite an experience. But yeah, I'm not going because I'm particularly fond of 3D, although if the conversion is decent, Ep. 1 should look quite awesome in some scenes.

Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:06 am
Dragonbeard wrote:
ck100 wrote:
Don't forget about Red Letter Media's recent Mr. Plinkett review of "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull". :) :P

http://redlettermedia.com/mr-plinetts-i ... ll-review/

I cannot believe I sat through this. It was over an hour long.

Allow me to bold type the part that concerns me, it was over an hour long!

At about the 20 second mark of the first video, I was appreciating what was going on. The idea of a one sentence review amused me, especially since the self promotion part was then longer.

Don't get me wrong, it was a funny TWO PART video (that was over an hour long!!!!!!!) but the guy could have made his points in a twenty minute... or ten minute video.

Also it's "We'd better not" :P

Well if you ever watch his Star Wars prequel reviews then you'd better get comfy because they're over an hour as well. But they are well worth watching and bring up a lot of good points along with the jokes. The Plinkett reviews are kind of like a comedic essay and critique about a film.

Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:27 am
JB wrote:
I never stopped hoping for the photonovel that never came.

About 10-15 years ago at Half Price Books I found 3 big (like maybe 8x12) hardcover books of the original trilogy where the pages print the movie scripts alongside big color stills from the movies that basically acts as a photonovel. I think they were produced in the UK. They are the first books my nieces bee-line to when they come to visit. They're actually pretty nicely produced and layed out.

Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:31 am
Pardon me while I make a huge reach here.........

The fact that we live in the era of Occupy Wall Street and protesting everything plays a larger role in the hatred of Lucas than I think most of us realize. We tend to act bitter toward anyone who has massive amounts of money, no matter how they earned it and no matter how many people he entertained when making it. Why? Because they're so far above us on the ladder of success that their every move is scrutinized and we want to see them suffer for making more money.

Just look around, we despise greed (or perceived greed) more than any other sin nowadays.

Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:29 am
KRoss wrote:

The fact that we live in the era of Occupy Wall Street and protesting everything plays a larger role in the hatred of Lucas than I think most of us realize. We tend to act bitter toward anyone who has massive amounts of money, no matter how they earned it and no matter how many people he entertained when making it. Why? Because they're so far above us on the ladder of success that their every move is scrutinized and we want to see them suffer for making more money.

Just look around, we despise greed (or perceived greed) more than any other sin nowadays.

This sounds intuitive, but I'm not sure, for a couple reasons.

1. There has been and probably always will be a certain level of resentment for those who have found their way into the higher social strata. The reason there hasn't always been an Occupy Wall Street movement is that it's becoming harder to ignore the way that the wealthy can influence the system in ways that the non-wealthy can't. This might include paying for preferential legislation, determining the content that gets passed around in the mass media, and even getting away with mind-boggling crimes.

2. If anything, George Lucas is the rare example of somebody who fought this complex and won. He did it fair and square, by the strength of his own ideas and business acumen, and even the people who hate his movies and dislike the way he runs his business have to concede that he earned what he has. He's the real deal rags-to-riches story. Plus, even the diehard haters must realize that even if what Lucas does can be construed as greedy, it's nothing compared to the heartlessness of the big companies he fought so hard to escape.

Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:25 am
Ken wrote:
2. If anything, George Lucas is the rare example of somebody who fought this complex and won. He did it fair and square, by the strength of his own ideas and business acumen, and even the people who hate his movies and dislike the way he runs his business have to concede that he earned what he has. He's the real deal rags-to-riches story. Plus, even the diehard haters must realize that even if what Lucas does can be construed as greedy, it's nothing compared to the heartlessness of the big companies he fought so hard to escape.

Part of the problem is that Lucas has become the very thing that he fought to escape as a young director. I don't see a difference between him and the rest of the Hollywood studios in terms of greed.

Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:36 am
Ragnarok73 wrote:
Part of the problem is that Lucas has become the very thing that he fought to escape as a young director. I don't see a difference between him and the rest of the Hollywood studios in terms of greed.

Then you either have no idea how evil the mainstream film industry really is, or your idea of greed is too broad and poorly defined to be useful.

Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:07 am
KRoss wrote:

Yeah...that's a bit of a stretch. The Occupy people weren't protesting "wealth" in and of itself, just certain kinds of wealth. Notice that they weren't occupying Apple or Derek Jeter; just those who they determined weren't worthy of their wealth.

I don't begrudge Lucas' wealth or success. I don't "hate" Lucas. I loved the films he gave me 30 years ago and I "loved" him for providing them. With that said, I'm dissappointed that he doesn't provide a cleaned up, anamorphic version of the originals on Blu Ray and I was somewhat disappointed with some of the decisions made with the prequels. Some parts of Episode 1,2 and 3 are examples of great filmmaking; other parts...not so good.

I'm fine with George making all that cash. Without it we wouldn't have got ILM, LucasArts games, THX and other technological advancements.

Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:37 am
Ken wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:

Then you either have no idea how evil the mainstream film industry really is, or your idea of greed is too broad and poorly defined to be useful.

Your naivete is much deeper than I could imagine if you think that Lucas could still be considered to be "outside of the system".

Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:50 pm
Ragnarok73 wrote:
Ken wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:

Your naivete is much deeper than I could imagine if you think that Lucas could still be considered to be "outside of the system".

At the risk of stepping into the middle of a brewing flame war, on some degree couldn't you say that Lucas is way outside the system...nay that he has enough money/clout to be "above it"? Look at Red Tails, his pet project that no one would finance. So he said "screw it" and went ahead with it on his own terms and financing. (Quality product? Not so much.) I would say that "the system" can have a certain influence, but I wouldn't necessarily classify as him as being an insider.

Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:38 pm
johnny larue wrote:
At the risk of stepping into the middle of a brewing flame war, on some degree couldn't you say that Lucas is way outside the system...nay that he has enough money/clout to be "above it"? Look at Red Tails, his pet project that no one would finance. So he said "screw it" and went ahead with it on his own terms and financing. (Quality product? Not so much.) I would say that "the system" can have a certain influence, but I wouldn't necessarily classify as him as being an insider.

Lucas uses films as way to generate profit. That is why I say he is as much a part of the system as any other Hollywood studio. Look at his actions:

- Re-releasing the Star Wars films in 3D: this might have been considered Lucas' way of pushing 3D technology forward if the timing wasn't so suspect (re: after the 3D bandwagon was started by James Cameron).

- Accusing Hollywood studios of racism over their refusal to market Red Tails: If Lucas was really making this film to tell this story, what should it matter if a studio distributed his film or not? It's not like he couldn't afford to pay the costs for marketing and distribution. The only other plausible explanation is that Lucas is bitter because studios didn't want to market a crap film that he made.

Lucas is clearly more of a businessman than a filmmaker now, so yes, he is very much a part of the system that he fought in his younger days.

Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:59 pm
Second Unit Director

There is no doubt that Lucas is a CEO of profit oriented corporation that doesn't give away merchandise for free or allow free admission to the new 3D films.Whether is he is one of the good CEOs is open for debate.His success though has definitely changed Hollywood in a couple of ways.The first was the creation of the Blockbuster Mentality and the second franchise merchandising.His creation of the blockbuster mentality more of less was the death of narrative cinema which kind of had a small golden period in the 60's and 70's when the Old Hollywood factory system disappeared and directors were free to try new ideas like Midnight Cowboy and Godfather.Star Wars killed that and now Hollywood pours more and more resources into few projects which they hope will be the next Star Wars which will lead to the spinoff of selling a bunch of junk to fanboys.Thanks to Lucas movies have gotten bigger and dumber.The Pirates of the Caribbean and Transformers are all Lucas' illegitimate children.Lucas has created the Entertainment Industrial Complex where new fresh ideas are shunted aside unless they can do boffo business.Lucas is even prey to his own success as his last good project was in 1983 and since then he has only gotten bigger and dumber and less entertaining running two franchises very profitably but creatively into the ground.

There is no shortage of irony when you listen to him complain about the treatment of Red Tails by the studios.He sort of rightly complains there is perhaps a lot of bias involved in the studio passing but doesn't seem to understand that he created the environment and thinking where movies like this are rejected as not being able to do enough business.If I was to propose a movie about Polish volunteers that escaped the Nazi-Soviet union to destroy Poland and it's people and flew for the RAF and were some of the best fighter pilots in the Battle of Britain despite the British military misgivings and prejudice.Sounds like a great movie but it will never get made either under the blockbuster mentality as budgets are sucked up for Pirates 6 or endless reboots of Superman,Spiderman and soon to be Batman.So in some ways Lucas is not the good guy.

Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:02 pm
Site Admin

oakenshield32 wrote:
The first was the creation of the Blockbuster Mentality and the second franchise merchandising.His creation of the blockbuster mentality more of less was the death of narrative cinema which kind of had a small golden period in the 60's and 70's when the Old Hollywood factory system disappeared and directors were free to try new ideas like Midnight Cowboy and Godfather.Star Wars killed that and now Hollywood pours more and more resources into few projects which they hope will be the next Star Wars which will lead to the spinoff of selling a bunch of junk to fanboys.

You are giving too much credit to Lucas. It is generally accepted that JAWS was the movie that started what you call the "Blockbuster Mentality." In reality, the blockbuster era didn't really start until the 1980s. The biggest movies between SW and EMPIRE? SUPERMAN (which was in production before SW was released), ANIMAL HOUSE, CE3K (in production before SW release), KRAMER VS. KRAMER, SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER, EVERY WHICH WAY BUT LOOSE, HEAVEN CAN WAIT.

Aside from SUPERMAN and CE3K, there's not a "traditional" blockbuster among them, and clearly no evidence of a SW influence. Both SUPERMAN and CE3K were already in the pipeline at a time when distributors had no expectations for SW.

SW became part of a rising tide that was building before its release and continued building afterwards. Hollywood was already beginning to recognize that there was a huge largely untapped market in teenage boys. SW exposed this, but it would have happened sooner or later.

People who like to blame SW for ruining movies tend not to realize that SW was a symptom, not a cause. SW was in the right place at the right time. If it hadn't been this film, it would have been something else.

The biggest difference can be easily stated. The male teenager became a major player.

Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:43 pm
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next