Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:25 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 355 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 18  Next
Game of Thrones 
Post Re: Game of Thrones
A bit of speculative "fantasy casting" for Season 2 (warning...potential spoilers for non-book readers).

http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/show/game_of_thrones/game_of_thrones_our_season_2_c.php?__source=tw|yhtv&par=yhtv

Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:47 pm
johnny larue wrote:
A bit of speculative "fantasy casting" for Season 2 (warning...potential spoilers for non-book readers).

http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/show/game_of_thrones/game_of_thrones_our_season_2_c.php?__source=tw|yhtv&par=yhtv

This site is already wrong on several counts, as the roles of Ser Davos, Melisandre, Brienne, Maester Cressen, and Stannis have been cast, as shown here. The other speculations are IMO out to lunch, as it's clear that the author is rating appearance above acting ability.

Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:56 pm
I don't think they were purporting to report any facts (beyond the Natalie Dormer and Christopher Eccleston items they listed)....the rest were who they'd like to see. More for entertainment purposes than informational. I doubt that the producers could afford the cast as presented.

Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:07 pm
johnny larue wrote:
I don't think they were purporting to report any facts (beyond the Natalie Dormer and Christopher Eccleston items they listed)....the rest were who they'd like to see. More for entertainment purposes than informational. I doubt that the producers could afford the cast as presented.

I never said they were reporting facts, just that their speculations were IMO crazy at best. BTW, price is not necessarily proportional to acting ability in the entertainment world.

Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:58 pm
Ragnarok73 wrote:
johnny larue wrote:

I never said they were reporting facts, just that their speculations were IMO crazy at best. BTW, price is not necessarily proportional to acting ability in the entertainment world.

Never said price did equal quality...just noted that I think it would be out of the price range of the producers to go after David Thewlis, Alan Rickman, Brendan Gleeson, and Michael Chiklis in toto for a weekly series where they are not the main characters, talented or not. The producers have done fine so far with lesser known actors and saved themselves some cash to put into production values to boot. And before you go ape, Sean Bean, Lena Headey, Peter Dinklage, Julian Glover, Charles Dance and Mark Addy were all actors I am familiar with (i.e. hardly "unkown")...the rest of the cast I do not recall having seen before.

Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:56 pm
In response to Ragnarok's first list of points:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
1) Hence making the whole thing pointless other than the return of Varys. She doesn't have power for two whole chapters, woo frickin hoo. Bitch needs to die.

2) Agreed

3) It was quite a rabbit for Martin to pull out of his hat. Commendable...unless it turns out to be pointless.

4) If you're right, and the letter is a fake, that means Melisandre is complicit. Only she and Jon knew that Rattleshirt was really Mance. I think it's more likely that Ramsely lied.

5) I stopped caring about Mereen when Dany actually married Hizdahr. She should have accepted Daario's plan to kill all the Wise Masters once they were gathered for the ceremony. The only reason I can think that she didn't is that Martin would have had to actually advance the plot. I think Dany will have Drogon kill Jhogo and his bloodriders and then take on the Khalasar. Remember, she vowed to kill him.

6) Sounds good to me. Victarion's about the only member of the Ironborn I care about. Asha and TT can burn together, for all I care.

7) Meh, she's Tyrion's waste of time like Mereen is Dany's.

8) I doubt they've even fought yet.

9) I was wondering if it was Gregor's body with Robert Baratheon's head.

10) Quentyn and his countrymen have become my favorite characters of the books. We need more Ario Hota. Will his death mean Dorne allies with the Lannisters?

11) We saw far too little of Jaime in this book.

12) I loved everything having to do with Aria.

That quote is, indeed, awesome.

At this point I'm not sure I even want to read the next book. I'm sure I will--a half decade or so down the road--but it seems like Martin's more concerned with all the little details that go into the plot moving along than actually moving the plot along.

Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:32 pm
Well Rags, I finally finished A Dance With Dragons; I only read on my lunch hour at work so it took me a while to get through. I can certainly see how it may have taken 6 years to write...Martin certainly is trying to keep a lot of balls in the air. I think he may need to get a different editor, though. There's definitely a lot of fat that could be trimmed in the form of secodary plots and "history lessons" that add "narrative color" that sometimes are just distractions. I fear he may be falling into that Tom Clancy trap of writing overlong novels that spend pages and pages just spinning wheels.

As EinShane mentioned, he didn't really move the plot along too much...a lot of characters finished where they start...or just reset to their spots to where they were at the end of the last book.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Like Cersie. OK...she got a little comeuppance inside the temple, but we all know that the experience won't really have a long-term effect. Perhaps this was just a move to advance things with the Tyrells and Tommen's regency, but we didn't get a POV for that during this time.

To compare to another series, this almost felt like books 5 and 6 of the Harry Potter series, where Martin is just keeping the plates spinning on top of the poles until the final installment.

With all that said, I did enjoy the read...I just think I would have enjoyed it more if it was a bit more...efficient. He should try and cut down on the colorful history and on the "cast of a thousand characters"...some of these people should be killed off or just quietly sent off and never mentioned again.

At the end of the day, 1000 pages was too many for the events covered. In the print edition, they should have also reprinted the map of Westeros. I know most of the action was across the sea and at the wall, but there was enough other movement with secondary characters that the reprint woulda been nice.

Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:46 pm
johnny larue wrote:
Well Rags, I finally finished A Dance With Dragons; I only read on my lunch hour at work so it took me a while to get through. I can certainly see how it may have taken 6 years to write...Martin certainly is trying to keep a lot of balls in the air. I think he may need to get a different editor, though. There's definitely a lot of fat that could be trimmed in the form of secodary plots and "history lessons" that add "narrative color" that sometimes are just distractions. I fear he may be falling into that Tom Clancy trap of writing overlong novels that spend pages and pages just spinning wheels.

As EinShane mentioned, he didn't really move the plot along too much...a lot of characters finished where they start...or just reset to their spots to where they were at the end of the last book.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Like Cersie. OK...she got a little comeuppance inside the temple, but we all know that the experience won't really have a long-term effect. Perhaps this was just a move to advance things with the Tyrells and Tommen's regency, but we didn't get a POV for that during this time.

To compare to another series, this almost felt like books 5 and 6 of the Harry Potter series, where Martin is just keeping the plates spinning on top of the poles until the final installment.

With all that said, I did enjoy the read...I just think I would have enjoyed it more if it was a bit more...efficient. He should try and cut down on the colorful history and on the "cast of a thousand characters"...some of these people should be killed off or just quietly sent off and never mentioned again.

At the end of the day, 1000 pages was too many for the events covered. In the print edition, they should have also reprinted the map of Westeros. I know most of the action was across the sea and at the wall, but there was enough other movement with secondary characters that the reprint woulda been nice.

As you mentioned, Martin's juggling a lot of characters around in this series, so I think the length of each book is just enough to tell the story. Besides which, I find it adds to my ability to immerse myself in the world when more information is presented (such as Ser Barristan's thoughts on the events of the tourney at Harrenhal that led to Robert's Rebellion, the death of Rhaegar, etc). That's me, though.

Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:32 pm
Congratz to Peter Dinklage for the Emmy!!

Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:16 pm
Clash of Kings footage--- http://www.avclub.com/articles/game-of- ... _rss_daily

Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:50 pm
http://youtu.be/rOzXsqoJhtE

New teaser - looking like they have retained the quality as expected. Can't wait for it!

Is it possible to loathe Joffrey more? Kudos to that actor for having the most punchable face in years.

Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:57 pm
Nick wrote:

New teaser - looking like they have retained the quality as expected. Can't wait for it!

Is it possible to loathe Joffrey more? Kudos to that actor for having the most punchable face in years.

This is the purist in me speaking, but there was a bit in that teaser that looked to be showing a scene with Catelyn and Baelish together. Anyone who knows the books well knows that never happened after the first book. Of course, I'm not passing judgement until I see the full scene and how it is done, as the producers have already made changes from the books in the first season and did so quite adroitly.

P.S.: I agree with your opinion on the actor playing Joffrey. Hell, I almost wanted Sansa to shove him off in the first season even though it would have been a huge change from the books.

Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:38 am
Interesting that they're calling it A Game of Thrones: Season Two rather than A Clash of Kings.

Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:22 pm
Nick wrote:

Whenever I need to feel good, I just watch this clip-- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxLOXUGmRKI

Tyrion rules!

Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:25 pm
I think its just a simple name thing. I don't watch the show but Spartacus seems to use that method and for someone getting into the show it is just confusing not to know where to begin. Spartacus: Blood & Sand - now is this the 1st,2nd or 3rd series? For a lot of people they wouldn't do the research and just move to the next show on the rack.

Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:28 pm
Out of curiosity: is anyone going to go and buy the first season box set? If so, what's it setting you back? I've got a PVR and still have all the episodes saved, so I'm not in a hurry to do so now, but I'm thinking about doing it something this year.

Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:44 pm
Ragnarok73 wrote:
Out of curiosity: is anyone going to go and buy the first season box set? If so, what's it setting you back? I've got a PVR and still have all the episodes saved, so I'm not in a hurry to do so now, but I'm thinking about doing it something this year.

What's holding me back? Lack of a steady-paying job.

I get a job, I buy the set. Well, maybe after a flat screen HDTV and a new racquetball racket. Oh, and a new softball bat.

Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:21 am
I purchased the Blu Ray set from Amazon for $34.99, still in the mail but seems worth it since the quality is outstanding and has a bunch of commentaries including a couple from Martin himself.

Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:19 pm
So I saw the "Seven Devils" trailer for the upcoming 2nd season. I'm looking forward to the first episode with greater anticipation than I previously had. This is a TV series that doesn't take ridiculous license with the source material like certain other shows have (*cough*THE WALKING DEAD*cough*). Best part of the trailer for me was in the exchange between Jaime and Robb:

"Three victories don't make you a conqueror."
"It's better than three defeats."

SHAZZAM!

I got April 1/12 marked on my calendar!

Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:15 pm
Just over a day left now...The pain of anticipation gets worse the closer we get to the time that it starts.

Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:05 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 355 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 18  Next