Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:12 am

What's up with your names? 
Assistant Second Unit Director

Post What's up with your names?
That is to say, your usernames. Where did the idea for your usernames come from?

For me, Raf is short for Rafael, which is my real first name. That's it. Not terribly exciting, I know.

But I'm quite sure that you all have interesting stories concerning your usernames. Personally, I would be interested to know the stories behind names like Vexer and NotHughGrant.

Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:55 pm
Post Re: What's up with your names?
It's the name they gave me when they found my spaceship in a cornfield.

Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:47 am
Real name...

Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:51 am
I just thought my username sounded cool, no real story there.

Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:07 am
My name is just a word I like: Shade. I have a bit of a word fetish -- I have a strong attachment and feeling for the way words look and sound, and there are many words I love and many I hate and many in between. I like the word shade. That's it. It's not a nickname or anything like that.

I think CasualDad is the funniest name on here.

Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:21 am
Critic

My name is actually an anagram for my real name and rank in the United States Marines, Maj. Zusken.

Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:47 am
Director

My real first and last name.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:33 pm
Christopher is my real first name, but I've been going by Pedro for almost ten years now. It was a name given to me in seventh grade Spanish class that stuck more than I ever hoped for. It's weird to hear people refer to me by my real name, though in filmmaking credits I'll use "Pedro Christopher Parodi" or "PEDRO."

Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:40 am
JamesKunz wrote:
My name is actually an anagram for my real name and rank in the United States Marines, Maj. Zusken.

Haha this is awesome.

My real name is Pete and some friends in high school used to call me Peachy Pete. I always thought that was funny, although there's no real reason why I was called that. I think a friend just said it one day and everyone thought it sounded pretty funny, so it stuck.

Pedro wrote:
Christopher is my real first name, but I've been going by Pedro for almost ten years now. It was a name given to me in seventh grade Spanish class that stuck more than I ever hoped for. It's weird to hear people refer to me by my real name, though in filmmaking credits I'll use "Pedro Christopher Parodi" or "PEDRO."

In middle school French class, my name was "Henri". Of course, it isn't pronounced like Henry, but more like "awn-ry". I wish I could have pulled of a name switch like that at the age of 12. Well done, PEDRO.

Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:00 am
Was at one time amongst the top-ten rifle shooters in the US. It was my standing position -termed "Off-Hand"- scores that kept me at the tops of most events. I tried to use that spelling once as a log-in at another site and it had been taken so I change "off" to "awf" and it has stuck w/ me through a lot of web forums.
It works well when I make awf hand comments.

Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:32 pm
Awf Hand wrote:
Was at one time amongst the top-ten rifle shooters in the US. It was my standing position -termed "Off-Hand"- scores that kept me at the tops of most events. I tried to use that spelling once as a log-in at another site and it had been taken so I change "off" to "awf" and it has stuck w/ me through a lot of web forums.

Note to self: Never piss off Awf hand

Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:52 pm
Pretty simple, I am of the male persuasion (last time I checked) and I live in Munich.

Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:21 pm
My last name is Redlien. Many days long ago in the days of the primitive dialup, the first online moniker I created was Redline_9, which morphed to what I often use now.

However, sometimes I also go by The Red i or The Red 47 (referenced on Star Trek and one of the producers or writers jokingly referred to the reason they used the number so often as it was the meaning of life the universe and everything adjusted for inflation).

-Jeremy

Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:44 am
Mine comes from a spin on an old joke, the punchline of "restless leg syndrome" being replaced with "major aphasia". The joke was then ironically turned on me. The joke then became strangely unironic and served to remind me of a serious disappointment in my life. Serves. Serves to remind me. So, really, it's about acceptance and hope despite setbacks/limitations.

I'm also a pretty huge Pearl Jam fan and develop a pant-threatening erection whenever I see the number 81 squeezed up against the number 12. Cause 81 is the size of my true love's waist (I like the ladies pleasantly obese) and 12 is the number of prostitutes I don't have buried in my basement.

Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:57 am
My name was simply the username for one of my old email accounts. Basically, it was the first letter of my first name (Olaoluwa) and the first six letters of my last (Afolayan); nothing too special here.

Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:53 am
Patrick wrote:
Awf Hand wrote:

Note to self: Never piss off Awf hand

*Stoically clicks "Like"

:lol:

Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:01 pm
What's not to love about a crass, opportunistic, chauvenist from the early 80's who had a thing for expensive crane shots? I loved Johnny Larue as portrayed by the late, great John Candy. I just gotta find me one of those smoking jackets and get it monogrammed. Looks snug and comfy.

Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:33 pm
Contrary to popular belief, I am not the baddest pipe layer around these parts.

It's the first three letters of my last name. Then the numbers...

Back in high school pagers were really popular. We came up with a kind of pager code where each number or a combination of numbers represented a letter of the alphabet. 2 = A, 8 = B, 0 = C and so on. We were basically texting each other with our pager codes. So I could send something like...

401112 - 177074312 - 5110145 - 00014 - 117 - 4377

Anyways, in order to know who the hell was paging you, you assigned yourself a number. My wife was 13 and I was 12. How fucking cute...

So there you go...ram1312.

Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:29 pm
Critic

oafolay wrote:
My name was simply the username for one of my old email accounts. Basically, it was the first letter of my first name (Olaoluwa) and the first six letters of my last (Afolayan); nothing too special here.

And it makes you sound like a lovable oaf!

Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:07 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Jory is the name of a character in Philip K. Dick's novel Ubik.

Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:08 pm