It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:52 am

Jan. 26, 2009: Teen Angst 
Site Admin

Post Jan. 26, 2009: Teen Angst
Click here to read topic.

Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:17 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: Jan. 26, 2009: Teen Angst
Thanks for 13 years of free service James. I've only been reading the site for about six of those years, but it's been worth it.

What caused you to leave Colossus after all those years? I imagine you covered this in an earlier ReelThought, but it has eluded me.

Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:54 pm
Hi James

Congratulations on reaching 13. It's been fun watching you grow up and develop.

My guess is that you're going to become all angry and irritable with out breaks of petulance.

Oh well, we'll do our best to sympathetic as you go through your teen years :-)

Rob

Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:02 pm
Site Admin

munroe wrote:
Thanks for 13 years of free service James. I've only been reading the site for about six of those years, but it's been worth it.

What caused you to leave Colossus after all those years? I imagine you covered this in an earlier ReelThought, but it has eluded me.

Colossus collapsed. Went out of business. Didn't tell me until about a week before it happened, so it was a mad rush to find a new host.

Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:08 pm
Profile WWW
Thanks for actually listening to the intelligent emails from readers throughout the site's existence. You improve with the times and always consider your readers' opinions when updating and redesigning. We are grateful.

Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:22 pm
James Berardinelli wrote:
munroe wrote:

Colossus collapsed. Went out of business. Didn't tell me until about a week before it happened, so it was a mad rush to find a new host.

Oh that's brutal. Finding new hosting is such a horrifying experience too. There's a thousand reviews both positive and negative for every host out there, and half of them seem like scam sites that will take your money and run.

Word of mouth isn't that worthwhile either, especially if the person said "I used them a few years ago, and they were great." 6 months is a long time in the hosting world.

Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:25 pm
Thank you indeed James for this service over the years. I thoroughly enjoy reading critic reviews where the author objectively writes about their afterthoughts rather than giving us straight up opinions without substance that can be found in many other online critic pages.

Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:50 pm
I never know what to get people for birthdays. A 13th internet birthday, what do you give, more bandwith?

Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:04 pm
This is very efficient, and similar to the Pure Volume forums (although with less irritating background colors). But on to point - great effort on those 13 years. I haven't been a visitor of the site for most of that time, but I have read nearly all of your site content in my time here, and it's all consistently gold.

Btw, testing facial expressions... :geek: :mrgreen: :| :arrow: :ugeek:

Check :P

Last edited by Evenflow8112 on Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:15 pm
I've been a reader of the site since about 2001 and I have to say that what has kept me all these years is the consistency in quality of the content, which is written with a certain dose of honesty and humanity. The writing never feels fabricated and is easy to get a sense of the reviewer's opinion and what influenced it.

Thank you Mr. Berardinelli

Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:47 pm
Well Berard, what can any of us say except that we are grateful for your opinions. I for one have only disagreed with you a few times, and usually about the classics. Speaking of which, you should really start reviewing more classic movies. Just do the ones you think are great. We want to see more 4 star reviews. I personally don't care about 3 star reviews unless their of new movies. I remember you said you were going to do some more Hitchcock, which is great. You should write essays for the directors themselves, not just their movies. Evaluate their style and perspective as a whole. Start with Hitchcock, and then move on to others. That way, even though you may not love some directors like Fellini and don't want to waste time reviewing each of their films, we'll get a sense of what you generally think of them and their work as a whole. Just a suggestion, and I'll be interested to see if anyone else agrees. Other than that, thanks for the dedication Berard and keep it up!

Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:00 pm
Great suggestion. It is also high on my list to more fully understand your opinions in the arena of 'classics'. This also makes for more helpful in-review references to film (hey, Mr. Berardinelli just compared this film to 'Patton' - can you ask for a higher recommendation from him?). I have to agree that is seems strange to post reveiws for 'classics' that you aren't entirely crazy about.

Just a thought.

Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:11 pm
happy 13th birthday. I've been reading the site for almost five years now, and been disappointed very little. never sent you an e-mail (mainly because I didn't feel the necessity) but I hope having message boards will make the site more accessible for more people who want to express their opinions. excellent idea, definitely.

Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:28 pm
Happy Birthday! Love the site... It's been guiding my moviegoing for years now. I think all the changes have been just grand, and here's to hoping it continues to grow :D

Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:42 pm
I started reading this site in about 2001 and it basically started me getting seriously into movies, so great thanks for that.

One little thing about the new design, though; reviews have gotten even narrower, and are now just a small column on my screen. You might want to look into that, because it's a bit annoying to read it. Other than that, absolutely no complaints with the redesign.

Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:51 pm
As everyone else has said, congratulations. Thirteen years is a long time to do anything (or so it seems at my age), so I admire your passion. I've only been reading since Q1 2005 at the earliest, but you've been influential in terms of what movies I've seen and how I've expressed my opinions. You've always been a top critic in my book, for your excellent taste in film and your approach to film criticism. Keep up the good work; you keep writing and I'll keep reading.

Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:30 pm
What's number 2, Pedro? I can't make it out.

Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:32 pm
Dekalog, or The Decalogue for those who don't like foreign titles. I actually quite like Krzysztof Kieslowski now, to the point where I've done a paper on him. That was where I learned I could spell his name without looking it up. XD I probably never would have seen Dekalog if Berardinelli hadn't put it at his personal number two. So thanks for that.

Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:54 pm
how about the one next to No Country for Old Men what's that?

Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:55 pm
Isn't that Taxi Driver?

Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:56 pm