It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:31 pm

December 31, 2011: "Rewinding 2011: The Top 10" 
Site Admin

Post December 31, 2011: "Rewinding 2011: The Top 10"
Click here to read topic.

Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:25 am
Profile WWW
Post Re: December 31, 2011: "Rewinding 2011: The Top 10"
It's with much shame (pun intended) that I admit that Drive and Blue Valentine are the only titles I've seen on this list and only the latter was in the Top 10; over the years, I'd actually been getting better at watching at least most of the films that made it on your list or were eventual Best Picture nominees. Guess I have some catching up to do!

Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:21 pm
Critic

oafolay wrote:
It's with much shame (pun intended) that I admit that Drive and Blue Valentine are the only titles I've seen on this list and only the latter was in the Top 10; over the years, I'd actually been getting better at watching at least most of the films that made it on your list or were eventual Best Picture nominees. Guess I have some catching up to do!

Damn right Oafy. Go out and rent Tree of Life!

Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:46 pm
Site Admin

oafolay wrote:

Look at it this way - there's some good stuff coming your way.

Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:08 pm
Profile WWW
I was kinda surpised "Warrior" was not on the top 15...

Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:53 pm
You might not be looking forward to "Contraband" but I sure as hell am! But then again I like pretty much anything Mark Wahlberg does.

Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:18 pm
Second Unit Director

It was nice to see that Drive did not make it to the top ten as it should be the top over rated movie of the year.I would not agree with Dragon Tattoo at number 1 maybe number 5 or lower.The Artist and Hugo should be number 1 and 2 respectively.The Artist especially was the harder trick to pull off to make a entertaining movie without color or sound(more or less) for a modern audience.I saw it twice and each time people were applauding at the end of the movie sitting through the credits something that I didn't see with Dragon Tattoo where people just bolted out the of the theatre as soon it was over.That is the difference between movie magic and just a movie.

I can understand the David Fincher man crush as the movie is slick pulp crime fiction (very Taratinoesque)made by a talented grade A director.It is interesting to note that the studio has made an admission that they will go with sequels even though the first installment has underperformed being lapped by Mission Impossible and Sherlock Holmes.Guy Ritchie outperforming David Fincher who would have thunk it.I am not sure of the studios logic as the storyline in the sequels in the Swedish version just gets weaker and weaker with hilariously bigoted polemics till it is almost unwatchable in the last segment.So if your first best shot in English sort of failed why are you chasing good money after bad continuing the series?

Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:42 pm
Director

Quote:
9. Blue Valentine: A 2010 "leftover," this movie has remained with me for much of the year. Had I been able to see it before December 31, 2010, it would have been on last year's list.

You know, James, I'm sure none of us will think any less of you if you don't deliver this list by the absolute end of each year. :ugeek: It's why I wait to do my Top Tens a year later (well, that and the fact that most films I want to see in a given year these days don't get wide releases and thus I have to wait until they're released on video to see them -- usually not until the following year :roll: )... even if they're no longer immediately relevant at that point. :|

Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:46 pm
Site Admin

H.I. McDonough wrote:
You know, James, I'm sure none of us will think any less of you if you don't deliver this list by the absolute end of each year. :ugeek: It's why I wait to do my Top Tens a year later (well, that and the fact that most films I want to see in a given year these days don't get wide releases and thus I have to wait until they're released on video to see them -- usually not until the following year :roll: )... even if they're no longer immediately relevant at that point. :|

Yeah, but in order to capture everything, I would have to delay the list until Feb. 1, which is too late in my book. This year, for example, A SEPARATION is not opening locally until January 27. If I wanted to consider that on my Top 10 list, I'd have to hold the list until then.

From a practical standpoint, there's a "window" in which people are interested in reading end-of-the-year lists. Since they start coming out in early December, mine falls late in the time frame. Late January/early February would be out of it.

Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:57 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Second Unit Director

Okay, I'm in a huge disagreement about two films that made the list, as I think critics overall over-rated these two movies. I'm glad to see The Descendants and Blue Valentine make the list. I'm quite certain that when you do get around to seeing A Separation, that'll make your list easily.

I think The Artist is the most over-rated movie of the year. I think the movie was given too much credit as people were all, "Holy shit! A silent movie in 2011! No fucking way!" I think the gimmick wore thin pretty quickly. About halfway into the movie, I was wishing that I could be watching a Chaplin or Keaton movie instead. Had the movie been released back in the late 20s/early 30s, I think it would seem weak in comparison to the other silent comedies.

I think the silent movie format works extremely well with physical comedy, to which I was shocked this movie had almost none of at all. This movie needed its own Oceana rolls scene, or the awesome pool game from Sherlock Jr...stuff like that. I should add that scene of the silent film star mimicking his dog was really weak. Instead the movie told a rather low key story to which the silent film format doesn't really benefit it at all. For one, the story of the move from silent films to talkies was done in a much funnier and interesting way in Singin in the Rain. The Artist told a rather dull story where the filmmakers really want the audience to feel sorry for the poor main character who's career has been flushed down the shitter, but he really only has himself to blame for completely having his head up his ass.

The entire 2nd half of the movie is him being a whiney little bitch being all, "Oh poor me! Feel sorry for me". I found this character just completely empty and found no reason to feel any emotion for him.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
The movie devolves into so many cliches. Yes, he becomes an alcoholic. Gee, I wonder what could be in that wooden box...gee I wonder if the girl will make it in time to stop him.

I should also add how contrived that scene is. Really? The girl sees him with a gun, figures out he was gonna kill himself and there's no reaction to that?

I may make it sound like I hated the movie which I didn't. I still liked it overall, but I think even considering it for best picture would be absurd. Like I mentioned, in comparison to the great silent comedies of the past from Keaton to Chaplin, this one is really weak.

Last edited by The Next Big Ching on Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:50 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Next one: We Need to talk about Kevin.

Maybe I expected too much from this, but I found the movie really hard to take seriously. It's such a promising premise, but when the movie goes back into the past, the kid is way too over the top evil that it's almost laughable and ridiculous. It sometimes comes off like a parody of The Omen. It also becomes ridiculous that when the mother finds out about the school massacre she couldn't figure out immediatley that it was probably her own wackjob son who did it.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
One part in particular...the mother walking in on the son masturbating, and he smiles and continues staring at her. Really?!

John C. Reilly is just way too stupid and clueless for my liking. If clueless boyfriends who keep doubting their girlfriends are being haunted by ghosts in horror movies is frustrating, John C. Reilly in an actual drama that's meant to be taken seriously doubting his wife is far more frustrating. How much more weird shit must the son do to convince him?

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Isn't shoving the hampster down a fucking garbage disposer enough? Oh yeah, let's buy this nutjob a bow and arrow.

Some people have said that we see everything from the mother's perspective and she's maybe an unreiable narrator, but that would just make the entire movie a cheat.

Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:58 pm
Site Admin

The Next Big Ching wrote:
Had the movie been released back in the late 20s/early 30s, I think it would seem weak in comparison to the other silent comedies.

<snip>

Like I mentioned, in comparison to the great silent comedies of the past from Keaton to Chaplin, this one is really weak.

It's not a comedy. It's a melodrama. There are occasional comedic moments, but it's unquestionably a melodrama.

Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:15 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

The Next Big Ching wrote:
Some people have said that we see everything from the mother's perspective and she's maybe an unreiable narrator, but that would just make the entire movie a cheat.

In the book, there are definite questions about the mother's reliability as a narrator. The movie dispenses with this. Those who think the movie mother is unreliable are being influenced by having read the book (or having read something written by someone who has read the book). This isn't something you would get from watching the movie on its own.

Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:17 pm
Profile WWW