Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:43 am

Your 2011 Top 10 List (No hurry) 
Critic

Post Your 2011 Top 10 List (No hurry)
So one of the most fun things at the end of the year as a movie fan is not only coming up with my own Top 10 list, but also seeing what you guys come up with. I recognize that not everybody is ready to make their list, but please throw it on here when you get a chance.

After all, what's movie fandom about if not arbitrary list-creation?

Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:32 am
Director

Post Re: Your 2011 Top 10 List (No hurry)
Cleaned out my old list. Decided to re-do it.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Last edited by Jeff Wilder on Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:06 am
EDIT: Over New Year's weekend, I finally caught Midnight in Paris. So the list below is my "2011 movies I watched in 2011" list. I'll probably come back here after the Oscars and update the list with any 2011 movies I see in the coming months.

This is definitely a work in progress. It's usually a good year or two till I can return to my list and put the movies in their more-or-less proper order. I can make guesses about what movies will stick with me, but they're only right maybe 2/3 of the time. This is the first time in a while that I have seen 20 or more movies made in a calendar year before that year ended. But since 20 is still such a tiny fraction of the total movies released in a year, I'll list every 2011 movie I've seen so my blind spots are known.

Of the movies I haven't seen this year, there are a few I plan to try to get to before the Oscars. Off the top of my head: Descendants, probably War Horse, maybe Tin Tin, maybe Young Adult.

Top 10, from favorite to least favorite:

1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 - Easily my best experience at the movies this year. Most of the movies I saw were going for entertainment above all else--and this is the one that was by far the most satisfying.
2. Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows - Another easy choice. The only other movie that had me wanting to buy another ticket right as I was leaving the theater.
3. Hugo - Wow, what use of 3D. Also, magical movie. Some of the whimsy felt a little forced, and switching subjects mid-stream is easier to pull off in a book than in a movie, but thoroughly enjoyable film, and I one I fully intend to see in 3D again before it leaves my area.
4. Source Code - Man, I liked this one a lot. I thought it lost its way a tiny bit in the last shot or two, but until then it was an impressive, pull-no-punches kind of ride. While I guessed the protagonist's condition before it was fully revealed, I enjoyed that it was what I guessed and not some half-measure from which the screenwriter could wriggle free in the service of a happier ending.
5. Midnight in Paris - It's been a while since a movie planted a goofy grin on my face for a solid 90 minutes. Crocodile Hunter, maybe? Or The Rundown. Unlike almost every other 2011 movie, I thought this one worked completely. It just didn't work (for me) on quite as high a level as the best parts of the four movies above. Still, I can see myself coming back to this one over and over. Adrian Brody was great fun, as was Corey Stoll.
6. Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol - The last one on the list I left the theater thinking "yeah." A little overlong, but wow Dubai.
7. Drive - This one suffered a bit mostly due to my expectations, but it has stuck with me more than most of the rest on this list. As far as the expectations went, reviewers really should have laid off the Bullitt comparisons. I would have gone with Eastern Promises or A History of Violence. Also I felt like the structure of the movie itself was promising another car chase, so the third act, explosive as it was, felt a little unfulfilling. But I definitely can't wait to watch it again.
8. Thor - I've seen this more times than any other movie this year. While that is mostly because my wife loves every minute of it, I've now seen it enough to know that I really dig it quite a lot.
9. Win Win - As a lawyer, I am a sucker for a realistic movie portrayal of a lawyer. Unlike The Visitor, not one I'm going to seek out on Blu-Ray or DVD, but when I see it in the Walmart $5 bin in a few years/months....
10. Tree of Life - Just caught this one on Blu-Ray, so its position here is subject to change drastically. I'm obviously still digesting, but not sure I really plan on watching it again. Glad I watched it once, and I was impressed by a lot of it, and by what I think it was trying to do. I feel like it lost its footing in the Sean Penn dream sequence, but not enough to ruin the experience.
11. Lincoln Lawyer - Another guess at future-telling. This one stuck with me a lot less than some below it on the list, but while the movie itself is more difficult to remember, I specifically remember being impressed on the way out the theater and feeling like it was $15 well spent.

The rest, from favorite to least favorite:

Liked quite a bit:
Super 8
X-Men First Class - Very-good-to-great first two acts; Brett Ratner-level third act.
Rise of the Planet of the Apes - I struggle with my reaction to this one. The ape scenes were great; the human scenes... notsomuch.
Muppets
Arthur Christmas
The Debt

Still liked more than I disliked, but some fairly big flaws:
Adjustment Bureau
Rango
Soul Surfer - The award for weirdest CGI of the year is a tie between AnnaSophia Robb's weird shape-shifting shoulder. . .
Dolphin Tale - . . . and the supercharged marine life weirdness in this one.
Captain America
Water for Elephants

Last edited by Bones on Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:41 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:38 pm
Man... I'm not even sure I saw 10 new releases in 2011.

Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:00 pm
Just finished. Please check out my lengthier write-up with honorable mentions and commentary, but here's the list:

10) Contagion
9) Le Quattro Volte
8) Young Adult
7) The Skin I Live in
6) Martha Marcy May Marlene
5) A Separation
4) The Tree of Life
3) Midnight in Paris
2) Hugo
1) Take Shelter

Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:03 pm
Ken wrote:

Rango
Win Win
Insidious
Source Code
The Hangover Part II
The Tree of Life
Super 8
Our Idiot Brother
Drive
The Rum Diary
Hugo

Okay, so I've seen 11.

(This does not count as my top whatever list.)

Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:12 pm
Critic

Ken wrote:
Ken wrote:

Rango
Win Win
Insidious
Source Code
The Hangover Part II
The Tree of Life
Super 8
Our Idiot Brother
Drive
The Rum Diary
Hugo

Okay, so I've seen 11.

(This does not count as my top whatever list.)

That's pretty weak Ken. Good thing you're skilled at parrying McGamesCook's trolldom or I'd have no use for you whatsoever

Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:15 pm
There were too many older releases that I wanted to see theatrically, so I skipped most of the new stuff. 2012 is shaping up to be much the same, starting with Raiders of the Lost Ark on 1/6.

Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:29 pm
Critic

Ken wrote:
There were too many older releases that I wanted to see theatrically, so I skipped most of the new stuff. 2012 is shaping up to be much the same, starting with Raiders of the Lost Ark on 1/6.

But January is such a great time for theatrical releases! I don't know how a person can skip seeing Unknown in theaters and live with himself. Promise me that this year, when the early-in-the-year Liam Neeson action schlockfest comes out (The Grey) you'll be there.

Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:46 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
Ken wrote:

But January is such a great time for theatrical releases! I don't know how a person can skip seeing Unknown in theaters and live with himself. Promise me that this year, when the early-in-the-year Liam Neeson action schlockfest comes out (The Grey) you'll be there.

Speaking of Neeson, did you that there's actually a Taken sequel coming out sometime next year? Now THAT I have to see! I actually this January looks pretty good moviewise(though i'll admit The Grey looks pretty mediocre)

Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:09 pm
Much like the guitarist for Guitarrosaurus Awesome (sp?), my number is such that my bottom 10 and top 10 for 2011 collide. Tree of Life and Martha Marcy May Marlene are the two best so far but neither is a **** movie. I'll be catching up with 2011 over the next several months and will hopefully remember to post a list when it all gets brewed up, nice and frothy.

Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:11 pm
Critic

Major Aphasia wrote:
Much like the guitarist for Guitarrosaurus Awesome (sp?), my number is such that my bottom 10 and top 10 for 2011 collide. Tree of Life and Martha Marcy May Marlene are the two best so far but neither is a **** movie. I'll be catching up with 2011 over the next several months and will hopefully remember to post a list when it all gets brewed up, nice and frothy.

Excellent. Btw I love, *love* your new signature

Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:18 pm
Major Aphasia wrote:
Much like the guitarist for Guitarrosaurus Awesome (sp?),

That is not the name, no matter how much I now find myself wishing otherwise.

Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:58 pm
Producer

Still have a lot to see (Young Adult, Hugo, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Martha Marcy May Marlene, Shame, The Artist among others) but for now:

1. War Horse
2. We Bought a Zoo
3. A Better Life
4. The Descendants
5. Source Code
6. The Help
7. The Tree of Life
8. Larry Crowne
9. The Debt
10. Another Earth

Honorable mentions: Soul Surfer, Cowboys & Aliens, X-Men: First Class, Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol, Paul.

Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:32 am
Critic

ilovemovies wrote:
Still have a lot to see (Young Adult, Hugo, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Martha Marcy May Marlene, Shame, The Artist among others) but for now:

1. War Horse
2. We Bought a Zoo
3. A Better Life
4. The Descendants
5. Source Code
6. The Help
7. The Tree of Life
8. Larry Crowne
9. The Debt
10. Another Earth

Honorable mentions: Soul Surfer, Cowboys & Aliens, X-Men: First Class, Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol, Paul.

Ugh you placed The Help above Tree of Life? I'm not the latter's *biggest* fan, but The Help? What a piece of maudlin middlebrow crap.

Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:28 am
I've seen a great deal of movies to summon up a ten best movies. Only the first 3 I have given 4 stars, the rest belong in the 3.5 star category, I guess.
I must say, that in a different year, my #1 and #2 may have been lower down the list, but due to personal issues in 2011, I connected with these films on a different level. Very few movies can do that, and I'm not ashamed to say those two movies were 'lifesavers'. I'm gonna post them from #10 to #1.

10. Beautiful Boy
9. Drive
8. Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Part 2
7. Contagion
6. The Ides of March
5. We Need To Talk About Kevin
4. Take Shelter
3. Beginners
2. The Tree of Life
1. The Descendants

The top 5 worst films of 2011 are
#5. Cars 2
#4. Dream House
#3. Sucker Punch
#2. Conan The Barbarian
#1. Transformers: Dark of the Moon

Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:03 am
Critic

From 1-10

War Horse
Drive
The Descendants
The Tree of Life
Midnight in Paris
Hugo
The Artist
Martha Marcy May Marlene
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
Meek’s Cutoff

Honorable Mentions: Contagion, Shame

Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:15 pm
Alright, I've roughly ordered this up.

Hugo
Drive
The Tree of Life
Rango
Source Code
Win Win
The Rum Diary
Super 8
The Hangover Part II
Our Idiot Brother
Insidious

If you ask me again tomorrow, it might be in a slightly different order, so don't put too much stock in this. This can be considered my "Top 11 of 2011" if you read it from top to bottom, or my "Bottom 11 of 2011" if read in the opposite order.

Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:22 pm
Having not seen a great deal of the "Oscar contenders" (The Artist, Descendants, Shame, Tinker, Tailor, Talk About Kevin)...

1. 13 Assassins
2. Drive
3. Warrior
4. 50/50
5. Moneyball
6. Rise of the Planet of the Apes
7. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II
8. Source Code
9. X-Men: First Class
10. Crazy, Stupid, Love.

Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:14 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

I hope I'm not posting this at a time where people have stopped giving a shit about 2011 lists, but please give mine a read if you have the chance. I like to think it's somewhat different from the norm:

http://thechingofcomedy.blogspot.com/20 ... -2011.html

Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:48 pm