Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:18 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 730 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next
The Official NFL Thread 
Post Re: The Official NFL Thread
No perfect season this year after laying an egg at KC. KC had a good game plan to squelch any turnovers; tough to intercept the ball when you are running and screening. Packers could still wrap up home field with a win against Detroit or Chicago at home. Now they can put this undefeated distraction behind them and rest players if needed.

Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:53 pm
I think we're destined to see a GB/NO rematch and I think I'm going to reach total enlightenment watching Brees and Rodgers combine for a 62/78, 834, 9 TD and 0 interception game.

I also think the Eagles are the biggest bunch of jerks ever. They don't even have the decency to completely crap the bed; every so often they show up and remind you how good they were supposed to be. F those guys.

Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:04 pm
Niners over Steelers, in convincing fashion. Doubters can eat me. At least the second or third best team in football right now.

Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:17 am
MrGuinness wrote:

Though thinking about a Green Bay - Denver superbowl makes me laugh :)

Hey, if Kansas City could do it....

By the way, the Giants and Titans both getting embarrassed on Sunday? Looks like Christmas came early. The Titans' inability to beat the Colts at even their lowest smacks of a massive inferiority complex. Nice job, Salieri.

Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:08 am
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Niners over Steelers, in convincing fashion. Doubters can eat me. At least the second or third best team in football right now.

That was an impressive win. As soon as I heard Big Ben was suiting up last night, I got excited for the game. Both teams knew how huge that game was last night for playoff seeding purposes, and the Niners deserve a ton of credit for going out and handling a very good team. Sure, it helped that Harrison was suspended and Ben could hardly walk (he probably shouldn't have been playing), but it's tough to argue that both guys would help negate a 17 point loss. Ben playing probably helped the Niners last night more than it did Pittsburgh. His biggest strength as a QB is the fact that he can extend so many plays my moving around in the pocket until a WR gets open. He couldn't do that at all last night, and when he tried, he threw interceptions and fumbled. It was a lot of fun to watch the 49ers play defense last night.

That said, I'd still put them 3rd in the NFC right now. Drew Brees has caught NBA Jam-like fire over the past month or so. The Niners better not slip up and lose that 2 seed because the Saints are nearly impossible to beat at home. I'd love to see those 2 play in the divisional round because their styles are so different. It would be an entertaining game.

Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:52 am
They could have looked better doing it, but the Niners clinch the two-seed and a first-round bye today. Should be interesting to see how they handle hosting a big playoff game in Candlestick. Their home-field advantage will be HUGE no matter who they play. Even Simmons grudingly admitted that the Niners could beat a team like the Saints at home, and at 7-1 for the season on home turf, he has a mighty compelling point.

Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:27 pm
Returning to 'The Forgotten Sports Thread':

49ers are going to the NFC Championship game. Um, hell yes? Eight years of pretty thick misery capped with a playoff classic over a team I personally pegged as the Super Bowl favorites. And, hey, the Niners didn't need the Saints to low-ball it, either. They're not only legit; they're perhaps the most frightening team in the NFC. If they can outscore and disable (read: five turnovers) the BEST OFFENSE IN LEAGUE HISTORY, then who's to say what their ceiling is? I would LOVE to see them face Green Bay, even in defeat. They're capable of pushing any team to their limit. That game was an instant classic, and a genuine triumph of the spirit.

As for the Broncos... What a great story that was. Denver should be proud. I had a gut feeling Tebow would make legit waves in the NFL. He's just never going to be a Super Bowl champion. I think that's a fair enough compromise for him. You can't EVER ignore him after this season, historically or pragmatically.

Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:12 am
Evenflow8112 wrote:
As for the Broncos... What a great story that was. Denver should be proud. I had a gut feeling Tebow would make legit waves in the NFL. He's just never going to be a Super Bowl champion. I think that's a fair enough compromise for him. You can't EVER ignore him after this season, historically or pragmatically.

What an annoying story it was. The Patriots figured it out easily, twice. Score early and often and Denver has nothing but one or two scores in them.

Tebow will be coverboy of Christian Football until he gets his first taste of pussy. Then Elway will get his choice of a real quarterback. ;) :twisted:

Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:40 pm
Packers = disappointing meltdown. I had a sneaking suspicion that being the #1 seed would not do them many favors; not to take away anything from the Giants, but the Pack did quite a lot to beat themselves. Even having the refs making multiple, terrible calls in Green Bay's favor did not help them. I expect SF to crush NY next week.

Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:29 pm
Legit e-mail I sent Bill Simmons regarding Atlanta's postseason woes:

" First off, want to say I'm a huge fan even though you hated my Niners until last week and are gonna pick against them this week (I KNOW it).

Second, am I the only guy in the world who's livid that Mike Smith still has a job as head coach after his Falcons required an abberation to score 2/3 of a field goal against the Giants? Think of it this way:

The key games of Atlanta's season were Monday Night against the Saints and the Wild Card round against the Giants. On these two games, both which were at least slightly winnable, Mike Smith reacted to five (count'em) five fourth and one's with

-Matt Ryan pass
-Matt Ryan pass
-Questionable punt
-Matt Ryan sneak
-Matt Ryan sneak

Now, Michael Turner may be the most overrated tailback in the game, but giving him the ball on third-and-1 and fourth-and-1 is just football IQ. The stupid asses I play Madden against online would call Turner's number again and again. How is Mike Smith less mentally sufficient than PackersnCrackers644?

The skinny: Mike Smith should be fired during a huge parade funded by Ted Turner where he is publicly eviscerated like the cow in 'Apocalypse Now' and then eaten by the residents of Atlanta. Think about it: The message, squarely, is "Don't fuck up a good team with lousy play-calling and poor defensive schemes, or, we'll kill you and eat you". (It's basically what the Niners should have implemented eight years ago) People would pay notice; every coach in the NFL, all the Pat Shurmurs and Marvin Lewises would be scrambling for the Bill Walsh videos before you could say "Eat the legs first!" There would be a term for being "Mike Smith-ed" and coaching quality would spike amazingly.

Just wait and see. Mike Smith leads Atlanta to another good/who cares season with another first-round exit. The coordinators they desperately scrambled to pick up won't have any effect. Michael Turner will rush for garbage time yards and finish in the top ten again. And it could have all been avoided by ignoring one man's civil and human right not to be killed and digested by an angry, insane mob of football fans. You people disgust me."

Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:28 am
A non-sports talk radio show here in MKE has a "football picking contest" where the host, his producer, an audience call in, and a professional dude working for a picking service for gamblers all take an NFL game or a college game for the upcoming weekend and pick against the spread. 3 of the 4 yesterday picked the NY / SF game and took NY. The host weaseled out and took the Pats game for his pick. The pro had some very compelling arguments for taking the Giants, especially given their momentum.

I'm still going with SF. That's who I want to win, anyway, but realistically since the Pack got bounced I'm not as "into it".

Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:44 pm
So we get a rematch to that game. Meanwhile, Billy Cundiff gets to join the Scott Norwood club and somebody actually misses Ted Ginn. Weird season.

Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:13 am
My prediction: Throughout the course of the Superbowl, Tom Brady is going to be on his back more times than an underage hooker at a convention of Japanese businessmen.

Giants win by 2 touchdowns.

Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:20 am
Is there any game more useless than the NFL Pro Bowl? I mean, it makes the NBA All-star game look like a playoff game in comparison. I've seen more effort in a Pop Warner half-speed practice drill.

And what the hell is the point in having it in the week BEFORE the Super Bowl??? Theoretically, the two best teams are going to play in the Super Bowl, so it follows that at least a few members of those teams made the Pro Bowl rosters. Theoretically, the fans want to see all the best players playing in the pro bowl, which does NOT include members of the Super Bowl teams. What the hell?

And am I the only person that finds it wrong that the Super Bowl is being played later and later? The damn super bowl should NOT be played only a week or two before the first players report to baseball Spring Training!

OK, mini rant over. I'm going to bed. The Pro Bowl is putting me to sleep.

Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:25 pm
My word of advice for the Super Bowl:

Forget Eli vs. Tom. Forget 2007. Forget New England's defense or Eli's fourth-quarter comebacks.

The key stat to this game is Tom Brady... vs. Tom Brady. So far, Tom has never matched his expectations for himself. Don't expect that to change Sunday. He got bailed out last week, but this game will require perfection on his part. Tom is certainly capable of that.... but only if he lets himself play perfectly. I doubt it and guess he has a late failure in the game that costs New England their second Super Bowl to New York. And yes, this hurts to type. A lot.

Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:29 pm
MunichMan wrote:
Is there any game more useless than the NFL Pro Bowl? I mean, it makes the NBA All-star game look like a playoff game in comparison. I've seen more effort in a Pop Warner half-speed practice drill.

And what the hell is the point in having it in the week BEFORE the Super Bowl??? Theoretically, the two best teams are going to play in the Super Bowl, so it follows that at least a few members of those teams made the Pro Bowl rosters. Theoretically, the fans want to see all the best players playing in the pro bowl, which does NOT include members of the Super Bowl teams. What the hell?

And am I the only person that finds it wrong that the Super Bowl is being played later and later? The damn super bowl should NOT be played only a week or two before the first players report to baseball Spring Training!

OK, mini rant over. I'm going to bed. The Pro Bowl is putting me to sleep.

The NFL still got you to turn on your tv for the Pro Bowl, didn't they? If you remember, the Pro Bowl was always after the Super Bowl. The only problem is, nobody would watch it. They switched it up to basically force people into it. I don't agree with it, I think it's as egregious as you do, but I understand why they did it.

And now for something completely different...

As much as I want the Giants to annihilate the Pats, as a Jets fan this Bowl is extremely sour. I have nothing against the Giants and root for them when the Jets are out of it, but there's a rather distasteful caveat. Shaun Ellis spent his entire career with the Jets, except for this single past year with the Pats. A true career Jet, who never got a trip to the bowl, and now he's there with the fucking Pats. Makes me want to puke.

Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:15 pm
Congrats to the Giants. A bit of an underwhelming score. Nice finish I guess, but otherwise not much in the way of fireworks.

Commercials....mostly ho-hum...I miss the days of the tech bubble...those internet firms usually had creative commercials.

Madonna...still looks hot at 50+, but not really my cup o' tea.

Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:20 am
johnny larue wrote:
Congrats to the Giants. A bit of an underwhelming score. Nice finish I guess, but otherwise not much in the way of fireworks.

Commercials....mostly ho-hum...I miss the days of the tech bubble...those internet firms usually had creative commercials.

Agreed on all acounts minus Madonna being hot. To use Vexer's favorite line - she doesn't do anything for me.

Aside from the Giants' game winning drive, there wasn't a whole lot of excitement to the game. Eli's deep throw to Manningham was a thing of beauty. People are comparing it to the Tyree catch from their last Super Bowl, but this one was the much better play. The Tyree catch was amazing because it was kind of a fluke that no one really expected. This one was an amazing throw and an equally amazing catch.

Welker's big drop on the drive before that play was really costly. If he catches that, the Pats either score a TD or kick a FG and leave the Giants with a small amount of time on the clock for a comeback. I'm not saying they 100% would have won if he makes that catch, but it's very likely they would have.

The haltime show was a piece of shit. I think I'll start taking shots or pounding beers during halftime from here on out.

Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:05 pm
PeachyPete wrote:
johnny larue wrote:

The haltime show was a piece of shit. I think I'll start taking shots or pounding beers during halftime from here on out.

I turned to my buddy about 2 minutes into the halftime show and said "I think I'd rather be seeing 'Up With People' at this point." I looked for some half-time show counterprogramming on other stations but didn't see much. They should just bag the half-time show and go to a regular duration break and bring out a marching band or "rubber boy" for the people in the stands. Otherwise it is quite pointless.

Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:17 pm
So, thanks to the Super Bowl:

- Joe Montana remains the king of the Big Game. As a Niners fan, that was almost worth it for me. Too bad we weren't the ones to make Brady 3-2 (ending any and all hopes of comparison). Will anyone ever top him? And no, Bradshaw doesn't count.

- Tom Brady is...underrated now? How did this happen? Apparently he's human, too. The HOF voters are getting antsy.

- Eli will be considered greater than Peyton... for half a year. There's no way any intelligent person can put Eli over Peyton (Peyton has the greater career, was on far weaker teams, and had to face Brady to even go to the Super Bowl every year of his dominance - Eli has it lucky by comparison). Eli has amazing receivers, a defense with big names on it, two running backs who could threaten 100 yard games separately, and one of the most clutch punter/kicker combos in football. The Giants did not win this second Super Bowl entirely thanks to Eli - their defense had to wake up first and Bradshaw needed to return. The Giants won Super Bowls in the 80's, 90's, and even appeared in a Super Bowl last decade before Eli showed up. The Colts only know what it's like to win a Super Bowl thanks to Peyton. Eli plays for a better organization, all-time, and was drafted by an underachieving Giants squad with amazing talent on both sides of the ball (which is pretty much their narrative every year) since he would not tolerate being drafted to the Chargers - which is fine by him, but he was immediately put in a position to succeed. Peyton, I'm afraid was not. These Giants do not go 2-14 without Eli. The loss of Peyton Manning was so devastating that the Colts organization has fallen entirely apart in one year due to him not playing. The GM was canned. The head coach was thrown under the bus. The entire organization could not be what it was without him, and was forced to undergo a complete transformation. If Eli left the Giants, the Giants would survive and compete again in three or four years. There's simply no comparison. To say otherwise is possible, but it requires that you ignore A LOT of data in doing so.

Hey, I respect what Eli did. He's, as one Giants defensive lineman put it, a "stoned-cold killer". No doubt. But Peyton is the best all-around quarterback in football, all-time. Only Montana, Brady, and Favre dwell in his territory (the Peyton-Brady argument became alot easier this season, by the way - 3-2 vs. 1-1 Super Bowl record? Not as striking).

- Tom Brady will be in the Top Ten for QBs. His ticket to the Top 5 was immaculate play in the Super Bowl. One loss didn't send him off course, but two? I'm sorry, but that dream is over. I don't see that changing without two more titles. That's sure to draw some ire, but I stand by it.

Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:07 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 730 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next