Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:45 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Poll ideas! 
Assistant Second Unit Director

Post Re: Poll ideas!
Vexer wrote:
i'm seemingly the only person who finds the LOTR films incredibly tedious

Believe me, you're not.

Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:50 pm
Jory wrote:
Vexer wrote:
i'm seemingly the only person who finds the LOTR films incredibly tedious

Believe me, you're not.

So you hate them too? Glad i'm no the only on here who does!

Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:07 pm
Assistant Director

...I thought they were amazing...don't hate!

I will admit that there is one exchange of dialogue that is really corny.

Gimli: I can't believe I'm going to die side by side with an elf
Legolas: How about side by side with a friend?
Gimli: Aye, that I can do.

Considering how good everything else is, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and assume that that was lifted directly from the book. Or forgive. It's 30 seconds in a 9 hour masterpiece. Big deal.

How about this poll?

Biggest ego in Hollywood:

Harvey Weinstein
James Cameron
Kevin Costner
Robert Downey, Jr.
Michael Moore

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:12 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

Or this:

What is the worst thing about Hollywood these days?

3D
Remakes, reboots, and sequels
PG-13 obsession
Shaky cam/epiliptic cutting
The MPAA

Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:14 pm
Profile WWW
moviemkr7 wrote:
Harvey Weinstein
James Cameron
Kevin Costner
Robert Downey, Jr.
Michael Moore

You're gonna need a bigger list.

Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:14 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

moviemkr7 wrote:
PG-13 obsession

Although I hate to see movies watered down to obtain a PG-13, I'm equally annoyed by how important an R rating is to so many people. When I hear someone rambling about how a movie needs to be rated R, it tells me they're not focusing on what's really important. I'll take Alien vs Predator any day over Aliens vs Predator: Requiem, watered down or not. At least the people who made the first movie were focusing on something other than their precious gore.

And now we have Guillermo del Toro walking away from his At the Mountains of Madness adaptation because he insisted that it be rated R, but the studio wanted a PG-13. Take a second to think about how ludicrous this is. He wants to adapt H. P. Lovecraft, a writer whose strength is in atmosphere instead of gore, and his ability to gore it up was the line he drew in the sand? And don't even get me started on the geeks on the Ain't It Cool News talkbacks who want every Batman movie to be rated R.

Should an Alien vs Predator movie be rated R? Yes. Should an At the Mountains of Madness movie be rated R? Probably. But when I hear people talking about that coveted R rating as if it's all that matters, it's time to hire a new director.

Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:25 pm
I disagree, for me AVP was an average film at best that felt throw together and severely watered down, especially the ridiculous ending, so Requiem was a big improvement for me. I like Paul Anderson, but you could tell he wasn't all that passionate about the film.

As for Del Toro, i'm firmly on his side on this case, there's no law that says he has to follow Lovecraft to the letter, so I see no reason why he should have to compromise and water down his adaption of Mountain for the studios, besides, most Lovecraft adaptions are rated R anyways, so it would like more ridiculous for the film "not" to have one.

It's also a cultural thing, there's a reason why there are so few Mexican directors working in Hollywood, they HATE Hollywood and the executive meddling that comes along with it, so they refuse to join for fear of having their films ruined by studio execs. The few that do work in Hollywood will NOT accept executive meddling of any kind in their films, so it makes sense that Del Toro wouldn't want to risk his vision being compromised by clueless execs insisting on a PG-13 rating.

Last edited by Vexer on Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:08 pm
moviemkr7 wrote:
Or this:

3D
PG-13 obsession
The MPAA

The MPAA definitely, they're ridiculous double standards have been dragging down countless films for years to come. I'm no 3-D fan either, but at least I can take comfort in knowing that trend will die down pretty quickly, or at the very least it won't be forced on every single film and will solely be used on major blockbusters, and it will be filmed in 3-D and not that post-conversion crap. Shaky cam is irritating, but I can deal with it, reboots/remakes and sequels have been around for awhile, so i'm not at all against them(though I am grateful that the trend of awful remakes of foreign horror films is over with) The PG-13 obsession actually seems to be dying down quite a bit, especially considering how succesful R-rated films have been at the box-office this year.

Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:13 pm
Assistant Director

Vexer wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:
Or this:

3D
PG-13 obsession
The MPAA

The MPAA definitely, they're ridiculous double standards have been dragging down countless films for years to come. I'm no 3-D fan either, but at least I can take comfort in knowing that trend will die down pretty quickly, or at the very least it won't be forced on every single film and will solely be used on major blockbusters, and it will be filmed in 3-D and not that post-conversion crap. Shaky cam is irritating, but I can deal with it, reboots/remakes and sequels have been around for awhile, so i'm not at all against them(though I am grateful that the trend of awful remakes of foreign horror films is over with) The PG-13 obsession actually seems to be dying down quite a bit, especially considering how succesful R-rated films have been at the box-office this year.

I agree. There's no bigger turd in Hollywood than the MPAA.

Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:45 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Joseph Gordon-Levitt v Ryan Gosling. A lot of people would consider these two the best male actors (under 35 years old) going round at the moment. How about a poll asking which actor forum members prefer based on range, filmography or whatever criteria they choose to go by?

Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:43 pm
Second Unit Director

Since I like to keep things simple...

Napoleon Dynamite: Love it? Or Hate it?

It really does seem to be the quintessential love it or hate it movie, doesn't it? :)

Tue May 21, 2013 4:47 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6