It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:38 am

November 30, 2011: "The 2011 Turkeys" 
Site Admin

Post November 30, 2011: "The 2011 Turkeys"
Click here to read topic.

Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:16 am
Profile WWW
Post Re: November 30, 2011: "The 2011 Turkeys"
Well I did kind of warn you to avoid Zookeeper, if I recall, you only saw that film because it was at a convenient time. Anyways I enjoyed Just Go With It(i'm surprised you gave a higher rating to Waterboy, which was truly exrecable and miserably unfunny) Abduction, Transformers 3(i'd argue that those goddamn Pirate films are FAR stupider then the TF series as the characters aren't worth caring about for evne a second and Depp's performance quickly becomes nerve grating), I Am Number Four amdittedly did borrow alot form other films but I still found it to be a good time overall, Trespass and Arthur were both average films redeemed by good lead performances. The rest of the films all belong on this list(though i'm surprised you actually liked The Immortals, which looks like a really bad version of 300, a film I didn't care for to begin with)

Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:34 am
Producer

I haven't seen a one of them, and the only one I might see (barring a film night with friends with bad taste) is the director's cut of Sucker Punch, which is supposedly better.

My two worst were Dylan Dog: The Dead of Night, which wasn't screened for critics, and Your Highness, which you didn't dislike as much as me. Apollo 18 would be third worst;

Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:30 pm
Damnit, I wanted to be in before Vex said he liked some of those...

The only one of those I sat through (without hitting fast forward or turning off) was Transformers 3 because I saw it in Imax 3D. Yes, it is a very stupid movie and could never be considered good by any standards, but I did have a good time watcing it (mainly for the last 30 min). I had heard that the 3-D was awesome, and the scene where they are flying through the city with wing suits truly was epically awsome...don't know if it was worth $15 awesome, but I had a good time none the less.

Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:30 pm
Assistant Director

My Bottom Three are:
Apollo 18 1/4
Judy Moody and the Not So Bummer Summer .5/4
Killer Elite 0/4

Just curious, if the impulse to be kind didn't grip you for Arthur and Zookeeper, what would you have given them?

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:04 pm
Profile WWW
The only one I saw was Season of the Witch...it wasn't very funny at all.

But I hate to defend Cage with a Vexer-ism but Cage has said he took that movie cause he always wanted to be a knight. So poor or not, it would've happen.

Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:18 pm
Quote:
By all accounts, two of 2011's most abysmal are Bucky Larson: Born to be a Star and A Good Old Fashioned Orgy, but I can't include them because I haven't seen them.

So you don't reeeally know that they are abysmal, right? ;)

My favourite of the year so far is on your list... not sure what that says (Sucker Punch).

Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:31 pm
Patrick wrote:
The only one I saw was Season of the Witch...it wasn't very funny at all.

But I hate to defend Cage with a Vexer-ism but Cage has said he took that movie cause he always wanted to be a knight. So poor or not, it would've happen.

Yeah, that's the case for why alot of actors make questionable film choices, Ben Kingsley admitted he starred in Bloodrayne because he'd always wanted to play a vampire.

Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:09 pm
Syd Henderson wrote:
I haven't seen a one of them, and the only one I might see (barring a film night with friends with bad taste) is the director's cut of Sucker Punch, which is supposedly better.

My two worst were Dylan Dog: The Dead of Night, which wasn't screened for critics, and Your Highness, which you didn't dislike as much as me. Apollo 18 would be third worst;

I'd definitely say Your Highness is the worst of the year, JB was FAR too nice to be that film, it didn't have one single solitary laugh to it's name, I might've mildly chuckled once or twice, but that's it. To be fair, Zooey and Natalie look pretty hot and they actually try and give decent performances, but they're let down by a terrible script overloaded with awful "Jackass" style humor(I.E. the guy cutting off the creature's penis and wearing it around his neck), even Jack And Jill can't possibly be as awful as that film was. Dylan Dog was actually pretty decent for me, Brandon Routh did a pretty good job in the title role.

Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:14 pm
Director

Of the ones on the list the only one I actually saw was Abduction, which was too mediocre to be memorable or make any list for that matter. The main thing I remember of it is that it was the film that completed John Singleton's transition from being a talented filmmaker with some edge to being a director for hire.

We've still got a whole month ahead. But I strongly suspect that 2011 is a cinematic year that I'll look back on ambivalently. There weren't an inordinate number of bombs. But there've only been two movies (Super 8 and Drive) that I liked enough to seriously consider owning them on DVD (along with possibly The Ides Of March yet I intend to wait until I can Netflix and watch it one more time before I decide to spend $$$ on it). Most of the other movies have ranged from pretty good (Contagion, The Help, Adjustment Bureau, Thor, Cowboys And Aliens) yet not ones I'll be going back to again and again to moderately entertaining yet mediocre and pretty forgettable (Horrible Bosses, Larry Crowne, Bad Teacher).

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:15 pm
Wow, a 2-star film made it to the Bottom 10? You have indeed become more selective!

Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:43 pm
Producer

Not gonna lie. I like several of the movies that are on his list. Especially Arthur which I thought was very funny. Russell Brand shined and I adore both Greta Gerwig and Jennifer Garner. And Helen Mirren was great in it too IMO.

Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:47 am
Proud to say I didn't see any of these movies, but also a bit depressed. I only got out to the cinema maybe 10 times this year so far; the rest has been at home viewing. In my prime of seeing 40-50 movies a year, would I have seen any of these? Probably 1 or 2, but not all 10. Thanks for taking the hit James.

Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:52 am
agreed with this list except for Transformers 3 and and I am Number Four, which I thought were entertaining enough

Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:38 pm
ShriekoftheVulture wrote:
agreed with this list except for Transformers 3 and and I am Number Four, which I thought were entertaining enough

Third time's a charm maybe :)

I rather liked Transformers 3 (Is there a reason they didn't just call it "Dark SIDE of the moon"?). I never saw 'Rise of the fallen' so I can't really comment but this was good enough as a follow up to the first movie for my liking.
1 was just fun. Not cinematic perfection by any means but it had some light comedy moments, Optimus being the robotic Dumbledore and just enough suspenseful moments that had the ending been halved in length (the end act I mean) it would have just been excellent. It wasn't but I still saw it twice in the cinema!
Number 3 was good because it just opened the threat up to a potential world wide scale. Chicago had it's ass handed to it with such ease, it wasn't hard to imagine the world being ripped apart by giant robots (the way the world SHOULD end tbh). The few moments where the Jarheads are silently looking at the devastation was pretty well done; you could feel the hopelessness of the situation.

Good stuff :)

Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:29 pm
Worst films of the year for me were-

Set Up- Direct to video starring Bruce Willis, Ryan Phillippe, and 50 Cent. Phillippe is absolutely abysmal.
Spy Kids 4-Disaster on all counts.
Main Street-Only because it has such a good cast, but the whole film is a waste
Trespass- Joel Schumacher might be the worst director working today.
Big Mommas:Like Father like Son- No explanation needed.
Hoodwinked Too- I quite enjoyed the first one, but this sequel obviously had very little money or funny script.
Passion Play-Mickey Rourke was right. This is pure garbage.
From Prada to Nada-Bad on all counts. The make up in this movie is laughable and is very distracting.
Sucker Punch-Biggest disappointment of the year.
Your Highness- Any movie that has Zooey Deschanel in it and I don't like deserves to be on a worst of the year list.

Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:57 pm
I can't recall Rourke ever denouncing Passion Play, in fact he had very good things to say about Megan Fox.

Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:51 pm
Nah, he slammed it pretty bad earlier in the year. He didn't take back his comments on Megan Fox, but he was pretty open about the fact that he thought it was a bad movie.

Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:10 pm
Site Admin

virusts wrote:

Set Up- Direct to video starring Bruce Willis, Ryan Phillippe, and 50 Cent. Phillippe is absolutely abysmal.
Hoodwinked Too- I quite enjoyed the first one, but this sequel obviously had very little money or funny script.
From Prada to Nada-Bad on all counts. The make up in this movie is laughable and is very distracting.
Your Highness- Any movie that has Zooey Deschanel in it and I don't like deserves to be on a worst of the year list.

Amazing that I manged to miss all but three of these, and two of those ended up on my Bottom 10.

Zooey didn't keep YOUR HIGHNESS out of the Bottom 10. It was Portman's chain mail bikini. :)

Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:59 pm
Profile WWW
James Berardinelli wrote:
virusts wrote:

Amazing that I manged to miss all but three of these, and two of those ended up on my Bottom 10.

Zooey didn't keep YOUR HIGHNESS out of the Bottom 10. It was Portman's chain mail bikini. :)
Portman may have looked nice, but that wasn't nearly enough to make up for the atrocious humor and terrible acting from Danny McBride.

Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:21 pm