Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:24 pm

November 20, 2011: "A Few of My Favorite Things" 
Post Re: November 20, 2011: "A Few of My Favorite Things"
That would be one of the reasons I advocate watching the movies in order of production, rather than in order of chronology. While the stories themselves are timeless, the textures of each of the productions are products of the time in which they were made. While the in-universe explanation does excuse it somewhat, it is far less jarring from a visceral point of view to go from lower special effects technology to higher, rather than the other way around.

Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:32 pm
Makes perfect sense from that angle.

Would Lucas be disliked LESS for just remaking the original movies using up to date effects/budget? Rather than tampering with the originals to whatever end...

Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:29 pm
I think the real trouble isn't the tinkering, so much as the fact that he intends for the tinkered versions to be the only ones on the market.

He could redo all the love scenes with Turkish bodybuilders in skirts for all I care, as long as the untampered originals are still available.

Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:58 pm
Producer

James Berardinelli wrote:
wisey wrote:
You changed your rating of Fargo too James.

You are correct.

America's Sweethearts too. JB originally gave that movie 3.5 stars but then lowered it to 3. I remember too because I actually sent him an email asking about that. :)

Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:08 am
The thing that doesn't make sense to me is why James' wouldn't change the content of some of his reviews that he admits he got wrong? Although he upgraded Fargo from two and a half stars to three stars, the review remains the same. It reads like a film he wouldn't recommend, not like a three star film at all.

I must've been one of thousands of fans who wrote James' an email about Heat. It was around 1998 and he was nice enough to respond. I find it hard to fathom that anyone that viewed Heat at a cimena in 1995 would write there is action in the film but it's nothing special. I wonder if so many of his followers disagreeing with him has made his judgement clouded towards the film? I'd like to see James' undergo a phycological analysis about his 'real' thoughts on Heat. Perhaps Sheryl may know the truth. :P

Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:09 am
Apologies for my first post being a quibble, but I cringed a bit when seeing Cheney instead of Chaney. The son and father deserve better than to be associated with the former VP. Maybe pronouncing Dick's name Chee-nee, like Chris Matthews does, would help to differentiate them.

Since you mentioned how personal context can affect a viewers perception or reception of a film, I'll say that I saw Heat on X-mas Day in a jam-packed theater while fleeing from an unpleasant situation my sister and her soon-to-be husband brought into our family home. The film's sub-theme of how both sides of the law, being a cop or a criminal, can be destructive to relationships had some resonance. The final scene at the airport also reminded me of Steve McQueen's Bullitt, which was a favorite movie when I was about 10. I haven't seen it in years, so not sure if I'd respond as favorably. But given your methodology of rating based on feelings about the film at the time you see it, Heat gets a 3.5 from me.

Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:48 am