Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:43 am

Big ads! 
Post Big ads!
So what's the deal with the big ass ads on the top of every review, thread and website? I'm not digging scrolling down just to find the first sentence of what I came to see....just saying.

Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:24 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Big ads!
Patrick wrote:
So what's the deal with the big ass ads on the top of every review, thread and website? I'm not digging scrolling down just to find the first sentence of what I came to see....just saying.

After seeing ad revenue plummet, I had a long discussion with some of the people at Google and they recommended the change. Apparently, the old text ads I had been using are largely out of fashion, so almost no one is bidding on them. As a result, I was only getting a pittance. By changing to the larger, graphics-based ads, I will theoretically be able to get ads that pay better and are more relevant to the content of the page (hence the increase in Netflix ads). For the main site, there has been no change in the number of the ads, just in the size and placement. I have added a couple of ads to the forum headers. (I briefly tried a single ad but it actually looked weird; the presentation is better with two.)

I don't foresee any additional changes, although if the revenue increases enough, I may be able to scale back on some of the other ads. So far, based on a small sample size, it looks like a modest but noticeable bump.

Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:30 pm
Profile WWW
Fair enough but now there's a slightly more annoying problem for us and a big problem for you JB. Instead of the normal sized banner ad displaying an ad, it displays this:

Code:
script type='text/javascript' language='javascript' src='http://cdn.doubleverify.com/script44.js?agnc=607671&cmp=CINGATI00101CNT&crt=&crtname=&adnet=&dvtagver=3.3.1346.2176&adsrv=2&plc=345815937&advid=607928&sid=345815937&adid='>

And this happens both on the site and forums.

Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:43 pm
Site Admin

Patrick wrote:
Fair enough but now there's a slightly more annoying problem for us and a big problem for you JB. Instead of the normal sized banner ad displaying an ad, it displays this:

Code:
script type='text/javascript' language='javascript' src='http://cdn.doubleverify.com/script44.js?agnc=607671&cmp=CINGATI00101CNT&crt=&crtname=&adnet=&dvtagver=3.3.1346.2176&adsrv=2&plc=345815937&advid=607928&sid=345815937&adid='>

And this happens both on the site and forums.

I'm going to assume it's a limited problem - I haven't encountered anything like that and I poke around the site dozens of times each day. There's probably one broken ad out there. If you're experiencing the problem consistently, I can't say what the problem is since I'm not seeing it in Chrome, IE, or Firefox and I haven't gotten any other complaints (typically problems with ads generate a flood of e-mail).

Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:39 pm
Profile WWW
Using Firefox 8.0.
Ad seems to be AT & T considering that almost everytime I see it, I see the top half of an AT & T ad.

Picture attached.

Attachments:
adproblem.png
adproblem.png [ 154.89 KiB | Viewed 1535 times ]
Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:05 pm
Site Admin

Patrick wrote:
Using Firefox 8.0.
Ad seems to be AT & T considering that almost everytime I see it, I see the top half of an AT & T ad.

Picture attached.

Strange. I'm using Firefox 8.0, but I have never seen anything like this. Then again, I don't know if I've ever seen the AT&T ad. Wonder if anyone else has seen this...

Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:15 pm
Profile WWW