Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:30 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 267 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Since we have a general forum..let's introduce ourselves(OT) 
Post Re: Since we have a general forum..let's introduce ourselves(OT)
You have to find it at least a little funny that this has suddenly turned into the "appraise H. Grant's ability" thread. Please note that I never said that I liked Hugh Grant. I said that I don't completely disdain him. He's quite watchable in the right role. Not an actor of any note though.

Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:56 pm
Producer

About a Boy was a good film.

Anyway, we digress..... :D

Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:18 am
I liked the Hugh Grant knockoff that Lisa Simpson almost married more than I like the actual Hugh Grant.

Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:21 am
Nothing of relevance here...this is my 1000th post and I wanted to see if my profile "job" changed.

Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:55 pm
Gaffer

Hey, everybody. My name is Josh (with no N). I am originally from West Palm Beach, Florida and currently live in New York City. I recently graduated from law school, passed the New York bar, and am now working on the Florida bar. I am a big film buff in my spare time.

I have been following James since about 2002. In fact, I remember EXACTLY when I came across his site: he was working on his All-Time Top 100 list, and had just added Life of Brian.

I have been lurking here for about a year, and made a New Year’s resolution to join the forum and start posting. (Probably the only one I’ll actually keep.)

Some of my favorite films: Rear Window, Goodfellas, Citizen Kane, A Clockwork Orange, Pinocchio, Schindler’s List, Contact, Million Dollar Baby, and Hot Fuzz.

Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:41 am
Critic

Jonsh wrote:
Hey, everybody. My name is Josh (with no N). I am originally from West Palm Beach, Florida and currently live in New York City. I recently graduated from law school, passed the New York bar, and am now working on the Florida bar. I am a big film buff in my spare time.

I have been following James since about 2002. In fact, I remember EXACTLY when I came across his site: he was working on his All-Time Top 100 list, and had just added Life of Brian.

I have been lurking here for about a year, and made a New Year’s resolution to join the forum and start posting. (Probably the only one I’ll actually keep.)

Some of my favorite films: Rear Window, Goodfellas, Citizen Kane, A Clockwork Orange, Pinocchio, Schindler’s List, Contact, Million Dollar Baby, and Hot Fuzz.

Welcome to the forum Josh! We have a Josh already, but I bet the majority of members are willing to accept a second :)

Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:49 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
Jonsh wrote:

Welcome to the forum Josh! We have a Josh already, but I bet the majority of members are willing to accept a second :)

Aye. I second James' sentiments. We already have, what, 3 guys called "James" so we may as well have more than one Josh.

Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:13 pm
Catt wrote:
Hey everyone, I don't believe I've intorduced myself yet. I'm Catt. I've been around for awile, you may know me as the crazy person who is obsessed with Transformers...hahaha. Sorry, I have other interests too. I like to spend my time drawing and painting, or working on a jewelry project. Exciting, huh? My local collage kicked me out, so...

Anyway, since this is a movie site, my favorite movie growing up was The Rock- oh no! not a Bay movie! Yes its true. I like action movies. I like comic book superhero movies, too. The kind of movies I don't like are romance and definately not romatic comidies...ewww. Not typical for a girl, but I don't understand romance anyway! :lol:

I'm somewhat excited for Transformers: Dark of the Moon to come out, expect to hear more from me!

The Rock was among my favourite movies when it was new, and I don't like it any less today.

I very nearly replied to this threat with an introduction, before I found the one I did leave back in 2009! :P

A lot has changed since then...

Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:32 pm
Gaffer

My name is Anthony. I registered here a couple of years ago, but almost never posted until looking at the Prometheus response thread. Since then the forum has been a regular stop. I've been reading Reelviews for... a really longtime. In the old days when IMDB seemed like the only movie website to go to (aside from crude fanpages), James would usually be the first reviewer listed under Roger Ebert, and that's how I wound up reading his reviews.

Anyway, I'm from NJ and I'm 29. After highschool I kind of wasted away, just working at a meaningless job and watching movies, and being sort of depressed about mortality and all that nonsense. Then in 2007 I saw Hannah and Her Sisters, and it sort of changed my perspective on life. Tomorrow at 9:00, I'll be taking my first class as an entering transfer student in the Film and Television program at NYU. Better late than never.

For a few years I've been saying that my favorite movie is Blade Runner, although how true any "favorite film" of mine is, I don't know. The other night I watched my favorite film from middleschool (Psycho), and as far as I was concerned while I watched it, it was the greatest film ever. There are quite a few movies like this for me... Blue Velvet, Double Indemnity, Hannah and Her Sisters, Raiders of the Lost Ark, High Noon, Big Trouble in Little China, Pulp Fiction...

I think Jackie Gleason is the greatest entertainer in modern American history.

That's me in my avatar (I have two eyes). I lift weights and have tattoos and all that meathead stuff.

The first 10 facts about myself that come to my head:
1. I'm finding gray hairs. Lots of them.
2. I have really wide feet. I'm a size 12 EEEEEE.
3. I dressed as a 1930s aviator for Halloween last year. I spent a ton of money on everything, and then like five friends saw it and we never took pictures.
4. I was president of the French club at my county college, and in one year I've already forgotten nearly everything.
5. I'm really into late 70s-early 90s synthpop/minimal-synth/new wave and extended 12" mixes.
6. I played in a hardcore band in highschool and we recorded an EP/demo.
7. I won "best original costume" in 1992 at my Cub Scout pack's Halloween party.
8. I pretended to believe in Santa Claus until I entered middleschool because I didn't want to start getting less presents.
9. I've been a vegetarian for 12 or 13 years, and this is somehow still a topic of discussion at family gatherings.
10. In high school I had a moustache without any sense of irony.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:40 pm
Gaffer

Hello all, I thought I'd use my first post to de-lurk and introduce myself.

I'm also called James, an Australian born Chinese currently living in Hong Kong.

I've been following JB's site since the 1990's when it was still on the Colossus server. I find that with the exception of comedy, his tastes are quite similar to mine (though it seems to have diverged somewhat in the last couple of years.)

Living in Hong Kong, I get to see all sorts of Asian films that the west doesn't get to see. At the the same time, a lot of non-blockbuster western movies are delayed by as much as a year or are given limited showings. (On the other hand, it lets me see some good movies during the graveyard months.)

I was living here during the golden era of Hong Kong cinema of the 80's and 90's, where stars like Chow Yun Fat and Jackie Chan had just started to become household names. Back then, the public couldn't get enough of the locally produced McMovies and a new movie was being released every few days. While I miss the crazy low-budget heyday of HK cinema, I'm thankful that the tastes of cinema-goers here seem to have matured over the years and a fair number of more sophisticated films are being shown now.

Anyway, with the introduction out of the way, I guess it's off to the main forums for me. :)

James

Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:50 am
Critic

Lanceor wrote:
Hello all, I thought I'd use my first post to de-lurk and introduce myself.

I'm also called James, an Australian born Chinese currently living in Hong Kong.

I've been following JB's site since the 1990's when it was still on the Colossus server. I find that with the exception of comedy, his tastes are quite similar to mine (though it seems to have diverged somewhat in the last couple of years.)

Living in Hong Kong, I get to see all sorts of Asian films that the west doesn't get to see. At the the same time, a lot of non-blockbuster western movies are delayed by as much as a year or are given limited showings. (On the other hand, it lets me see some good movies during the graveyard months.)

I was living here during the golden era of Hong Kong cinema of the 80's and 90's, where stars like Chow Yun Fat and Jackie Chan had just started to become household names. Back then, the public couldn't get enough of the locally produced McMovies and a new movie was being released every few days. While I miss the crazy low-budget heyday of HK cinema, I'm thankful that the tastes of cinema-goers here seem to have matured over the years and a fair number of more sophisticated films are being shown now.

Anyway, with the introduction out of the way, I guess it's off to the main forums for me. :)

James

Welcome, James!

-James

Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:01 pm
Director

Allow me to formally introduce myself......

My name is Ken and I'm 29 years old. I've lived in Maryland my entire life, from Bowie to Baltimore (majored in Mass Communication: Journalism and New Media at Towson University) and even a brief year in Annapolis. Now I'm in Burtonsville (a suburb just outside of Laurel) working in a call center for a bank. It drives me nuts at times but I'm doing so well and making good enough money for a job of its type that I feel just fine.

I first discovered JB's reviews when I was a freshman in high school. I was going to see the movie RONIN (with Robert DeNiro) and was scouring around IMDB for a while when I discovered a single "External Review." It was JB's, and a very positive one at that (***1/2). From there on, I just got hooked on his site and have emulated his style for many years (although being very careful not to plagiarize him). My mother and I even went to the 2001 Toronto Film Festival (we thankfully got out of there a mere two days before 9/11) and we tried to arrange for me to meet JB, but it never happened. Maybe someday at a Phillies game....

You might consider me a jack of all trades. I'm heavily into movies, sports, and video games. I'm also currently tackling the P90X workout program. How do I do it? I don't have much of a life, really. But I'm happy all in all.

I've surfed these boards ever since their inception but rarely posted, especially in 2010 and 2011, when my moviegoing habits dipped considerably in favor of sports. I think it was the fact that 2012 was such a stellar year in film that I've gone all in now. Plus, I'm writing my own reviews on a blog which I hope to one day develop into a full-fledged, professional web site.

Last edited by KWRoss on Mon May 27, 2013 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 06, 2013 10:49 pm
Cinematographer

KWRoss wrote:
Allow me to formally introduce myself......

My name is Ken and I'm 29 years old. I've lived in Maryland my entire life, from Bowie to Baltimore (majored in Mass Communication: Journalism and New Media) and even a brief year in Annapolis. Now I'm in Burtonsville (a suburb just outside of Laurel) working in a call center for a bank. It drives me nuts at times but I'm doing so well and making good enough money for a job of its type that I feel just fine.

I first discovered JB's reviews when I was a freshman in high school. I was going to see the movie RONIN (with Robert DeNiro) and was scouring around IMDB for a while when I discovered a single "External Review." It was JB's, and a very positive one at that (***1/2). From there on, I just got hooked on his site and have emulated his style for many years (although being very careful not to plagiarize him). My mother and I even went to the 2001 Toronto Film Festival (we thankfully got out of there a mere two days before 9/11) and we tried to arrange for me to meet JB, but it never happened. Maybe someday at a Phillies game....

You might consider me a jack of all trades. I'm heavily into movies, sports, and video games. I'm also currently tackling the P90X workout program. How do I do it? I don't have much of a life, really. But I'm happy all in all.

I've surfed these boards ever since their inception but rarely posted, especially in 2010 and 2011, when my moviegoing habits dipped considerably in favor of sports. I think it was the fact that 2012 was such a stellar year in film that I've gone all in now. Plus, I'm writing my own reviews on a blog which I hope to one day develop into a full-fledged, professional web site.

You're eerily similar to me. I even lived in Laurel for 3 years (I'm in Rockville now). I haven't been into video games for years now, though.

You might want to put a link to your blog in your signature here when you're ready to start sharing your writing. Most of the guys around here will check your site as long as you're updating it.

Also, how difficult is P90X? It seems like something that would be a nice challenge to make it through the 90 days, but I doubt how sustainable that kind of workout is over time.

Tue May 07, 2013 2:35 pm
Director

PeachyPete wrote:

You might want to put a link to your blog in your signature here when you're ready to start sharing your writing. Most of the guys around here will check your site as long as you're updating it.

Also, how difficult is P90X? It seems like something that would be a nice challenge to make it through the 90 days, but I doubt how sustainable that kind of workout is over time.

I've thought about putting a link in my profile, but I'm not ready just yet. I should be all polished up when I debut my halftime Top 10 in mid July (I have high hopes for Pacific Rim).

As for P90x, yes its tough, although that depends largely on what your problem area is. For me, its pull ups. They're a mighty struggle and I need all the assist I can get. For others, its the yoga portion. Its really not as off-the-wall-crazy as it initially seems because you can take basic concepts and moves learned here and apply them to more conventional workouts.

Tue May 07, 2013 11:36 pm
Second Unit Director

P90x is a great exercise program, whether you use it as a program or not. It's broken into different workouts so whatever you feel like doing on a specific day is your choice if you'd rather use it as a casual resource.

Wed May 08, 2013 1:30 am
Second Unit Director

Hi everybody.

My name is Steven, and I'm 17 years old. I've been browsing the forums for quite some time, (since Ebert's death essentially), but just got around to getting an account now. I've only become interested in film as art in the past year or so, but in that year I've become incredibly passionate about it.

Some of my interest besides movies include running, singing, piano, writing, and literature.

I'm a senior in high school right now, and I'm looking into finding a good film school to attend. I'm not interested in technical film school as much as I am in film critique or analysis. I also work part time at a movie theater. I try to provide a better film experience for customers than I know most people get at the multiplex, but there's only so much I can do. Getting free movies is excellent.

I look forward to my time on the forums.

Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:37 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Steven wrote:
Hi everybody.

My name is Steven, and I'm 17 years old. I've been browsing the forums for quite some time, (since Ebert's death essentially), but just got around to getting an account now. I've only become interested in film as art in the past year or so, but in that year I've become incredibly passionate about it.

Some of my interest besides movies include running, singing, piano, writing, and literature.

I'm a senior in high school right now, and I'm looking into finding a good film school to attend. I'm not interested in technical film school as much as I am in film critique or analysis. I also work part time at a movie theater. I try to provide a better film experience for customers than I know most people get at the multiplex, but there's only so much I can do. Getting free movies is excellent.

I look forward to my time on the forums.

Welcome aboard Steven.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:57 pm
Second Unit Director

I'm BACK!!!!! Did you miss me?? If you want to be nice, you can lie and say, "Yes, Taleswapper. We absolutely missed you and your irreplaceable cinematic insights. Reelviews just isn't the same without you." OR you could choose the less nice route, and state something to the effect of, "You left? Wait.... who are you?"

I had to shut down the home Internet for a time when I was cut back to part time at work. And being in the non profit sector, It's not like I was making all that much to begin with. I'm used the extra time I've found myself with to increase my work load at school. God willing, I will FINALLY have that master's degree finished by December next year.

Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:30 am
Second Unit Director

Hello , my name is Don.
I've been posting to this forum for a good while now.

I'm a bit of a movie buff.
But I have other interests.
I am into old tractors. I have one
See link for videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/35dononeill

Don

Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:23 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

Hell everyone. It's been a long time since I've posted on here, so I thought I'd re-introduce myself.

My name's Arron, I'm 27 and live in the UK. I'm engaged with two children. I used to play in loads of bands with varying degrees of "success". I love football and support Manchester United. I don;t have too much time on my hands nowadays to watch lots of films, so I've pretty much not seen anything released in the last few years - terrible, I know.

So, hello!

Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:52 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 267 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next