Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:55 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 373 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
My Life 
Post Re: My Life
Odd that I'm just now getting around to posting on this thread but here goes nothing:

Well I finally found a decent engineering job after nearly a year's worth of searching and praying (I finished my degree in December 2010, which was a pretty lengthy process in and of itself). I work with this firm based out in St. Louis as a Construction Engineering/Inspector; when I'm not doing that I like to go to the gym (something that I recently got back into again - I actually meet with a trainer), watch TV (cop shows are a personal favorites), see movies (of course) and just hang out with friends. Currently, I'm trying to feel things out at my new job and continue the journey of getting myself established and stable (a process that may never end).

Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:02 pm
Sometimes life just squeezes lemon juice into your eyes and screams something about adding sugar, making lemonade.

Work screaming baby pretty girl no sleep sex.

Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:27 pm
Blonde Almond wrote:
Had three interviews last week, but no replies as of yet. I got a call for another one this week, but after doing research online it appears to be some sort of cold-calling scam. Sadly, I've gotten used to my complete failure in finding anything worthwhile.

On a more positive note, I just sent in my graduate school application to NAU, for a Masters degree in English with an emphasis on Professional Writing. The degree is online, but if I'm accepted I might try to find some kind of work in Flagstaff, maybe even a graduate assistantship. So hopefully I'll get accepted and I'll be able to jump-start my life again.

This will sound like some Hallmark shit, but try not to get discouraged. You've just graduated at a difficult time. Something may well work out. And, a Masters is a nice thing to fall back onto if it doesn't.

oafolay wrote:
Odd that I'm just now getting around to posting on this thread but here goes nothing:

Well I finally found a decent engineering job after nearly a year's worth of searching and praying (I finished my degree in December 2010, which was a pretty lengthy process in and of itself). I work with this firm based out in St. Louis as a Construction Engineering/Inspector; when I'm not doing that I like to go to the gym (something that I recently got back into again - I actually meet with a trainer), watch TV (cop shows are a personal favorites), see movies (of course) and just hang out with friends. Currently, I'm trying to feel things out at my new job and continue the journey of getting myself established and stable (a process that may never end).

Nice, that's sounds like a really good place to start. Getting paid experience in the field you studied is always a good thing.

Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:37 pm
Chris Nolan is disrupting traffic at my old college with his silly film project.

Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:14 pm
mailedbypostman wrote:
Chris Nolan is disrupting traffic at my old college with his silly film project.

What a douche.

Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:34 pm

Those damn Gotham cops, leaving their car in the middle of the street for a donut break.

Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:23 pm
Batman is in that picture. Can you spot him?

Of course you can't. He's the god damn Batman.

Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:10 pm
Local theater chain's movie schedule for the first quarter of 2012.

1/6-1/8: Raiders of the Lost Ark (yes!)
1/13-1/15: Blade Runner (YES.)
1/20-1/23: Big
1/27-1/30: Heathers
2/10-2/13: Caddyshack
2/17-2/20: Star Trek: Wrath of Khan (YES!)
3/2-3/5: Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (again? instead of The Last Crusade?)
3/23-3/26: Monty Python and the Holy Grail (seen it theatrically before, but still... yes.)

Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:28 am
I'm working on getting this:

http://bicycledreamsmovie.com/

To my local theater. The theater owner sounds pretty excited. The director of the movie responds (!) to emails. I think this might happen. If it does, then I can move small mountains!

Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:33 am
Starting up graduate school classes today, thus officially ending my year-long sabbatical from personal responsibility.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:13 pm
Blonde Almond wrote:
Starting up graduate school classes today, thus officially ending my year-long sabbatical from personal responsibility.

Congrats on that whole personal responsibility thing! I hope you fuck grad school in the ass. And by that I mean, I hope you take a big ole shit on your grad school classes. And by that I mean, I hope you (insert crude euphamism for performing well in school here).

Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:31 pm
Blonde Almond wrote:

Cool beans. I went straight to grad school too and would recommend the experience. Of course, grad school is pretty inexpensive here. Hope you don't have to rack up a huge debt. And good luck, Blondie. You come across as a smart guy. Sure you'll do very well.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:32 pm
I found grad school to be a breeze compared to undergrad. Nice being able to concentrate on what you want to study rather than being bogged down with 60% of classes you have no real interest or use for.

Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:08 am
Awf Hand wrote:
I'm working on getting this:

http://bicycledreamsmovie.com/

To my local theater. The theater owner sounds pretty excited. The director of the movie responds (!) to emails. I think this might happen. If it does, then I can move small mountains!

Well, it would appear that I've done it! It took more than I thought it would. We've got ourselves a showing of "Bicycle Dreams" on March 15th.

I've been a bit busy the last few weeks -funny how being an Assistant Coach for a youth XC ski program (140 kids), a Chairman for a 4-H Program, a nominee (shoe-in at this point) for a Board position in my bike club, and organizing four bike tours and two inservice sessions for this summer while crafting plans for a 350 acre MTB trails network development can keep a guy going. I'm still working on writing a travel-logue magazine article (the muse comes and goes) and will likely expand to a second University for my guest-lecture work (2x per semester) in cadastral cartography. -The prep-work is a killer on that last one.

Damn, when I look at my list I wonder WTF I'm doing. I guess giving up on television has opened some new rooms in my brain.

Getting the movie to play in my local movieplex was pretty cool. One of our local cinemas (18 screens in two adjacent cities) is locally-owned and can do special showings as long as the "presented by:" group can guarantee success. This is done by pre-buying tickets. I petitioned my bike club, showed them the trailer and pick up the tickets and promo materials tonight. Working with the director/promoter and the cinema owner put me in a "different"-type of comfort zone. I don't honestly know if it was strange or not. I frequent the movie blogs enough to understand digital projection needs, theater margins, schedules, etc. I was also able to dig into Rotten Tomatoes site to determine a best week for our screening that wouldn't trod on any potential midnight screening prep-times, so our theater owner could still keep his regular staffing levels intact. It was a real strange 'fit' for me, but I'm a details guy and with the info and confidence I've gotten here at ReelViews, was able to visit and talk shop with the theater owner as he smiled and told me that I'd really done a lot of "work".
-He called it "work". :-D
I call it a pleasant distraction.
It's a bit like using a theater for a juke box. The quarters are just bigger is all...

Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:44 am
Drove 5 hours today to interview for a job in Flagstaff at NAU. I think I handled my interview well, which most of the time isn't the case.

Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:34 pm
Blonde Almond wrote:
Drove 5 hours today to interview for a job in Flagstaff at NAU. I think I handled my interview well, which most of the time isn't the case.

Right on blondie. Couple months into grad schoo, interviewing...we got your back, dude. Let us know how it turns out.

I need to post about how My Life has gone this past year...maybe someday...

Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:57 pm
Cinematographer

Blonde Almond wrote:

Are you from AZ? I'm a native of Phoenix. Good luck with your job interview.

I interviewed for a job in San Jose yesterday, we'll see how that goes.

Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:41 pm
darthyoshi wrote:
Blonde Almond wrote:

I interviewed for a job in San Jose yesterday, we'll see how that goes.

Whoa, that's practically down the street from me. Good luck to the both of you.

Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:15 pm
darthyoshi wrote:
Blonde Almond wrote:

Yep! Born and raised.

I ended up being the second choice for the position. Story of my year.

Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:05 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

My fiancee and I had our baby boy nearly 6 weeks ago. He was born on 9th March and weight 8lbs 9oz. He's called River. He's awesome.

Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:52 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 373 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next