Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:38 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
The Walking Dead 
Post Re: The Walking Dead
jnice wrote:
I have a feeling that "The Walking Dead" may not be referring to the zombies exclusively. I have not read the comics, so please hide any spoilery responses. If the producers keep this dark and edgy like Breaking Bad has been, then we could witness another "downer" pop culture masterpiece.

I believe the creator of the original comic series (Robert Kirkman) has mentioned that the title was meant to refer to the characters (uninfected humans) as much as to the zombies that infest the world that they're trying to survive in.

After watching the 2nd episode of the last season from this past Sunday, I'm getting the distinct feeling that the writers of the show are trying to stretch out plotlines beyond what was in the comics. I don't mind this TOO much as long as they develop the characters and the interactions between them further, but it seems a bit of a cheap ploy.

Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:52 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Ragnarok73 wrote:
jnice wrote:
I have a feeling that "The Walking Dead" may not be referring to the zombies exclusively. I have not read the comics, so please hide any spoilery responses. If the producers keep this dark and edgy like Breaking Bad has been, then we could witness another "downer" pop culture masterpiece.

I believe the creator of the original comic series (Robert Kirkman) has mentioned that the title was meant to refer to the characters (uninfected humans) as much as to the zombies that infest the world that they're trying to survive in.

After watching the 2nd episode of the last season from this past Sunday, I'm getting the distinct feeling that the writers of the show are trying to stretch out plotlines beyond what was in the comics. I don't mind this TOO much as long as they develop the characters and the interactions between them further, but it seems a bit of a cheap ploy.

I've heard that complaint. Having not read the comics, it is not anything I've noticed myself yet. I do agree that if things drag out too much without sufficient character development, this will fail. I hope they're smart and don't try to make it last as long as possible. Shows like this should know going in that they will tell a story in 5-6 seasons. Otherwise it's not really a story, is it? It would turn into nothing more than a weekly "creature feature."

Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:31 pm
It most certainly drags things out toooo long. Sometimes it seems like just to fill more episodes? I understand sometimes it's for effect. But in the last episode...nothing really happened. It ended where I knew it would based on the clips of the episode before it aired.

The following is only a spoiler of this episode, nothing to do with the comics that I haven't read. But if you haven't seen the newest episode yet they could be considered spoilers.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Yes the doctor is really a vet, who didn't have that figured out?! Yes they get trapped trying to get the supplies from the school...fine fine. So in the beginning of the episode the little girl isn't found and the boy has been shot and is dying. The end of the episode nothing has changed.

Don't take this the wrong way, I still love the show. But it does seem like they take stretching things out a little too far sometimes. I'm hoping not all the episodes are like that.

Breaking Bad did the same thing sometimes, but it was much less noticeable I think.

Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:05 pm
Colin wrote:
It most certainly drags things out toooo long. Sometimes it seems like just to fill more episodes? I understand sometimes it's for effect. But in the last episode...nothing really happened. It ended where I knew it would based on the clips of the episode before it aired.

The following is only a spoiler of this episode, nothing to do with the comics that I haven't read. But if you haven't seen the newest episode yet they could be considered spoilers.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Yes the doctor is really a vet, who didn't have that figured out?! Yes they get trapped trying to get the supplies from the school...fine fine. So in the beginning of the episode the little girl isn't found and the boy has been shot and is dying. The end of the episode nothing has changed.

Don't take this the wrong way, I still love the show. But it does seem like they take stretching things out a little too far sometimes. I'm hoping not all the episodes are like that.

Breaking Bad did the same thing sometimes, but it was much less noticeable I think.

It's really annoying to me what they've been doing with Sophie throughout these first 2 episodes. Not to mention this little bit:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
The fact that Shane is still alive, when he died well before they got to the farm in the comics. I realize that they've probably got Jon Bernthal signed for a while on this show, but seriously...

Like I said, if they develop the characters and keep them interesting, I won't mind this TOO much. I'm liking the character of Daryl more and more with each episode this season, while liking the character of Andrea less and less. IMO, they've made her a weaker character than she was in the comic series.

Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:48 am
Producer

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I like Shane on the show so I'm glad they didn't kill him off so early in the show like the comics did. Speaking of Shane, EEK! at that cliffhanger! Can't wait to see how he gets out of that tonight. I mean, I don't think they are gonna kill him off though I suppose you never know. This show is kind of like 24 and Lost in that really anybody can die.

Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:23 pm
ilovemovies wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
I like Shane on the show so I'm glad they didn't kill him off so early in the show like the comics did. Speaking of Shane, EEK! at that cliffhanger! Can't wait to see how he gets out of that tonight. I mean, I don't think they are gonna kill him off though I suppose you never know. This show is kind of like 24 and Lost in that really anybody can die.

If you saw last night's episode, then you should probably understand what the writers are trying to do with the character of Shane.

This show is starting to piss me off. Part of the tension in the original comic series was the feeling that it gave that *no one* was safe. The following example demonstrates this:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
When Lori and her baby daughter (possibly fathered by Shane) are both killed in the battle against the Governor and his minions at the prison.

The show is afraid to kill off people, perhaps because the producers feel that getting rid of characters that are popular could cause the ratings to dip. Moreover, there's a *talk show* about the show now (The Talking Dead)?! Really? The show is just over one season old. Seriously... :?

Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:55 pm
Yeah...they gotta get rid of some primary characters...I don't care how well developed...just surprise me. I want a real deal twist. I want to not have a CLUE what is going to happen next.

Oh and as far as The Talking Dead...don't even get me started on that lol.

Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:16 pm
Part of me thinks that the reason things stretch out over so many episodes and that they don't move along faster is, if you're going to spend the kind of cash to block up a road with 20 or 30 cars for a TV series (they shoot this on location in Georgia, right? So somewhere they gotta have a quarter mile of unused road to use), you're going to want to get as much use out of it as you can rather than use it for only 1 or 2 episodes.

Not sure if the comic book had the traffic jam location and if it did, it it was used so much. Never read the comic.

Also don't watch the Talking Dead.

Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:40 am
Producer

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I think eventually Shane will die in order to get some redemption. What he did to Otis is eating him up inside and he's gonna be wrecked with guilt. Eventually he'll get to redeem himself later on by dying heroically saving some people.

Just my guess. For anyone who ever saw 24, that show did that fairly often with unlikeable characters.

Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:42 pm
ilovemovies wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
I think eventually Shane will die in order to get some redemption. What he did to Otis is eating him up inside and he's gonna be wrecked with guilt. Eventually he'll get to redeem himself later on by dying heroically saving some people.

Just my guess. For anyone who ever saw 24, that show did that fairly often with unlikeable characters.

I disagree. Here is my take on it:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Make Shane a less sympathetic character to the audience so that killing him off will not have as negative an impact.

It's really annoying to me when writers do this to a character, because it cheapens the moments involving them. Sigh.

Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:17 am
So having watched the most recent episode, I'm really starting to get fucking annoyed with this show. The storyline is being stretched out WAY too far now. I mean seriously:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
They STILL haven't found Sophia yet?!!?!?!? In the comics, she never got lost like this to begin with, not to mention that Shane was dead by this time, and they had hit the suburb and lost people there.

I mentioned that the producers are clearly averse to killing characters off, but that's part of the point in the comics! I'm very close to stopping my viewing of this show forever at this rate. :evil:

Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:30 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

Maybe Darabonts departure might bias my opinion but the iron clad stay on locations really seem to illuminate the budget gap of the previous season. Wandering in the woods. Sitting in the farmhouse...few zombies. Juxtaposed to the incredible city scenes and clown car zombie brigades of last season. I was a big fan of season 1, season 2 really seems to be dragging.

American Horror Story is this seasons show to watch. The Walking Dead feels more like a passing interest for those already hooked into the show...

Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:04 pm
Wow. Pretty strong ending for the mid-season finale in an otherwise S-L-O-W season. If you've given up, you may want to give this week's episode a look.

Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:34 pm
johnny larue wrote:
Wow. Pretty strong ending for the mid-season finale in an otherwise S-L-O-W season. If you've given up, you may want to give this week's episode a look.

Agreed...holy freaken cow...good stuff lol. I won't say anything to spoil it, but stretching a couple things out really made the mid-season finale pay off for sure!

Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:25 pm
Colin wrote:
johnny larue wrote:

Agreed...holy freaken cow...good stuff lol. I won't say anything to spoil it, but stretching a couple things out really made the mid-season finale pay off for sure!

[Reveal] Spoiler:
It was almost poignant that Rick did the final deed given his earlier failing.

Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:30 pm
johnny larue wrote:
Colin wrote:
johnny larue wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
It was almost poignant that Rick did the final deed given his earlier failing.

My thoughts exactly.

Despite my earlier complaints with how the new season was going...after taking it in as a whole and re-analyzing it...i'm quite pleased and very open to admit I jumped the gun on previous statements I made in this thread.

Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:13 am
Producer

I always loved the season despite maybe 1 or 2 filler episodes, I was highly engrossed. That the ending packed a punch just made me love this season even more.

Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:14 am
I actually DVR'ed the entire season and watched all the episodes at once. Stroke of genius. I can understand why people would've had problems with the pace of this season, but when you look back, especially after the last episode, it was all worth it. I never read the source material so I can't comment on it, but I'd have hard time believing this show hasn't done justice. The entire last episode was one of the most intense things I've seen, and the final ten minutes may have been THE most intent thing I've seen on television. Well done.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Seriously though, who actually thought Sophia would turn out to be a zombie? When she walked out of the barn my jaw dropped. Also, while all the performances have been to notch, Jay Bernthal deserves so much credit for making what could have easily been an awful character sympathetic without softening the edges.

Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:48 am
If you are thinking about pickng up the comic series, really really dont. It has gone WAYYYYYYY down in quality recently and the "general feeling" from fans is that the creator has lost interest.

Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:13 pm
eXterminus wrote:
If you are thinking about pickng up the comic series, really really dont. It has gone WAYYYYYYY down in quality recently and the "general feeling" from fans is that the creator has lost interest.

It might explain what's been happening to the TV series despite the fact that the creator is a producer. I'd still rather read the comics than watch the show at this point, however.

Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:23 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next