Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:38 pm

SOPHIE'S CHOICE (1982) 
Site Admin

Post SOPHIE'S CHOICE (1982)
Click here for the review of Sophie's Choice (1982)

Part of the "1980s" series.

Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: SOPHIE'S CHOICE
It's on the Netflix.

Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:11 pm
Gaffer

I have to disagree with your claim that Sophie's Choice is the best movie of 1982. I personally found it to be too long and drawn out. I think it would've worked at a tighter 120 minutes or so. On the other hand, Meryl Streep certainly deserved her Oscar.

Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:02 pm
Hmmm...I still can't make myself care to actually watch the movie.

Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:21 pm
Patrick wrote:
Hmmm...I still can't make myself care to actually watch the movie.

Shame! Sophie's Choice is a very good film, and Meryl Streep's greatness is perfectly on display here. Very close to my revised top 100; used to be in it.

Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:18 pm
Great review. I really appreciated the comments about the film being bleak and how many of the most powerful motion pictures are. It's a perspective so many people are sadly misinformed on.

Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:42 pm
sophie's choice is a great film. but for me, not the best that year. though obviously not your choice, gandhi was even greater. sophie had meryl streep. gandhi had ben kinsley. sophie had viewers knowing who she really was via series of flashback. gandhi afforded the viewers to see how he developed in a linear narrative fashion.

off topic: will you be changing your top 100 based on your new reviews? did doubt or dark knight enter the top 100?

Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:07 am
Post Re: SOPHIE'S CHOICE (1982)
One of my most vivid college memories involved Sophie's Choice. I was a psych major and I want to say 1999 or 2000 I took an abnormal psych class. Anyway, our "final" was that the professor would have us watch the movie that morning as a class before the test and and we had to use what we learned from abnormal psych to answer the questions and rather "diagnose" the main characters.

Anyway, after the movie the whole class was hysterically crying that none of us to could actually focus on the test.

Wed May 20, 2009 7:22 pm
Yeah, I just finished watching this and out of all the films I've watched recently, this may be the one of the best if not the best. It was funny, sad, heartfelt, wrenching and ultimately tragic. It's an unqualified triumph. As for Meryl Streep, what can I really say here other than her performance was perfect? Every ounce of praise that has previously been bestowed on her for this performance (including her Oscar-win) was absolutely deserved. I mean, not only did she perfectly adapt the mannerisms of a Polish person (in as much as I can tell, at least) but she nailed the emotional depth and complexity of her role. In short, she was Sophie. And the scene where she had to make the titular choice - wow! Kevin Kline and Peter MacNicol are also very good but they exist in Streep's shadow. The direction of the film was also spot-on. I especially liked how Pakula used different film stocks to separate the present-day scenes from the ones that took place in Auschwitz. The cinematography for the former is somewhat bright and occasionally colorful while the scenes in the concentration camps are nearly monochromatic. I'm actually surprised that James didn't mention this aspect of the film in his review. And the ending of the film was satisfying if not perhaps in the conventional sense of the word. To sum up this movie in a word: amazing!

Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:42 am
you just cannot praise meryl streep enough in this. my whole life, she's been this great actress. after seeing this - i see why.

Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:32 am
aameen wrote:
you just cannot praise meryl streep enough in this. my whole life, she's been this great actress. after seeing this - i see why.

Me too! I'm still thinking about this movie, especially that ending, how wrenching! I have to wonder if this film would've been nearly as powerful had a different actress been cast in lieu of Streep! My guess would be no.

Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:42 pm