Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:33 am

TRESPASS 
Post Re: TRESPASS
Artmonkey wrote:
After reviewing Cage's recent filmography, I would say that the last movie in which he appeared that was actually worth a damn (excluding Kick-Ass, which was not "a Nicolas Cage film") was World Trade Center. And that was five years ago. The last great movie he was in was Adaptation., which was nine years ago. Looking at the rest of the titles from the past decade... well, one can understand how easily people have forgotten that, once upon a time, he was once an acclaimed and respected actor and that a new Nicolas Cage movie was once something to look forward to.

Perhaps he should host an acting seminar entitled "How to Piss Away an Oscar Win" (with special guest speaker Cuba Gooding, Jr.)

When was 'Matchstick Men'? I thought that was excellent!

Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:51 am
Producer

Matchstick Men came out in 2003. Nic Cage's movies from 2002-2006 were awesome IMO. Adaptation, Matchstick Men, the Weather Man, World Trade Center. And he gave one of his best performances IMO in 2005's AWESOME Lord of War. I really love Lord of War. I think it's one of his best movies and one of his best performances.

Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:52 am
ilovemovies wrote:
Matchstick Men came out in 2003. Nic Cage's movies from 2002-2006 were awesome IMO. Adaptation, Matchstick Men, the Weather Man, World Trade Center. And he gave one of his best performances IMO in 2005's AWESOME Lord of War. I really love Lord of War. I think it's one of his best movies and one of his best performances.

Yeah, it's a real shame Lord Of War was overlooked, I wonder why JB didn't review that one. Though Cage did have one bad spot in 2006 with the crappy Wicker Man remake, though in all fairness, he did the best he could with what little he was given to work with.

Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:05 am
Producer

Yeah, 2006 was when Cage started to become inconsistent. On the one hand I enjoyed National Treasure: Book of Secrets and Next and Drive Angry and found World Trade Center to be profoundly moving, on the other hand, he also did The Wicker Man, Ghost Rider, Bad Lieutenant (a plus for most people, but not for me), Knowing and though I have yet to see it, Season of the Witch and Trespass both look terrible.

Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:10 am
Site Admin

Vexer wrote:
Yeah, it's a real shame Lord Of War was overlooked, I wonder why JB didn't review that one. Though Cage did have one bad spot in 2006 with the crappy Wicker Man remake, though in all fairness, he did the best he could with what little he was given to work with.

I was at the Toronto Film Festival when it was released and it only lasted about a week in theaters. By the time I got home and was ready to see movies again (I need a few days off after the orgy of a festival), it was gone. I saw it when it came out on DVD and liked it a lot.

Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:42 am
Profile WWW
I'm going to be controversial for once and say that I didn't HATE 'The Wicker Man' remake. On top of that, the bits I DID dislike weren't even because of Nicholas Cage. I think right up until the 'inevitable ending', he did a perfectly great job.

However the last GOOD movie I saw with Cage in it was probably 'Kick Ass'. Maybe he ought to rebuild his career playing second fiddle for a while, before he makes a Clooney-esque come back (you know, how everyone thought Clooney was a joke before he decided to come back and remind us that he's actually an awesome actor?).

Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:41 pm
Director

Quote:
However the last GOOD movie I saw with Cage in it was probably 'Kick Ass'. Maybe he ought to rebuild his career playing second fiddle for a while

I 100% agree here. Cage is at heart a character actor who can play lead roles when it's the right one. He was good in Port Of Call New Orleans and Kick Ass was a good supporting role for him. So yes, do some more supporting roles of that type for a while.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:20 pm
Second Unit Director

I think the last time that Nicholas Cage had a good role in a good movie was Werner Herzog's "Bad Lieutenant." The movie has its problems, but it is one of the most intriguingly bizarre cop movies.

Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:10 pm
Second Unit Director

By the way, for anyone who wants to see Cage's insanity used effectively, watch "Vampire's Kiss." I think this movie was misunderstood, because people viewed it as a a drama or thriller instead of a black comedy. I laughed harder at parts of this movie than many of the so-called comedies I've seen in recent months.

Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:13 pm
jadedmoviegoer wrote:
By the way, for anyone who wants to see Cage's insanity used effectively, watch "Vampire's Kiss." I think this movie was misunderstood, because people viewed it as a a drama or thriller instead of a black comedy. I laughed harder at parts of this movie than many of the so-called comedies I've seen in recent months.

You mean at scenes like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsFB9lkvaTE

Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:29 pm
Second Unit Director

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
jadedmoviegoer wrote:

You mean at scenes like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsFB9lkvaTE

No, the scenes I'm talking about revolve around him thinking he's turned into a vampire. That subplot of him wanting to find the file is actually kind of annoying.

Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:21 pm