Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:03 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 317 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
Football (the one played only with the foot) 
Post Re: Football (the one played only with the foot)
ed_metal_head wrote:
In Valencia's defence he was clearly preferred over Nani because of his willingness to track back and break up Barcelona's plays. Nani is, by far, a more potent offensive weapon but he doesn't help on the defensive end.

He played a bit like a goon in my opinion. I thought his fouls were rash and reckless. After 3 times I would have expected him to see yellow.

Sun May 29, 2011 12:53 pm
So, the spotlight is on FIFA once more. Uncle Jack and his new friend have been suspended while Sepp gets off clean. People are saying this is a "crisis" for FIFA but that's bullshit. The boy's club takes care of each other. The only reason those two were suspended is because they appear to suddenly be on bad terms with Blatter. All of them are dirty. None of them will get more than a slap on the wrist. All in a day at Football's governing body.

Bondurant wrote:
He played a bit like a goon in my opinion. I thought his fouls were rash and reckless. After 3 times I would have expected him to see yellow.

Disagree. They were clearly intentional "professional fouls" but I'm struggling to recall an instance where he slid in dangerously. He should have been carded for persistent fouling and it's not nice to see someone play that way but it can be effective (it wasn't though).

Mon May 30, 2011 5:31 pm
Bondurant wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
Bondurant wrote:
United was humiliated. Pathetic performance all around aside from Rooney. I'm not sure I've seen a game like this before where one quality side dominated another quality side.

As an Arsenal fan i admire Barca and am proud that we are the only team to win a game off them in the competition
But United were well beaten, but not humiliated

Rob

Really?

3 total shots, 37% possession, Chicharito was offsides the entire match, no corners and a sloppy 16 fouls (Valencia was pathetic).

I'd say United was taken to school tonight.

Only one team beat Barca in the Champions league and they were outclassed while doing it - Arsenal

I think we are saying the same thing - just arguing over the meaning of a word :-)

Rob

Mon May 30, 2011 9:49 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
In Valencia's defence he was clearly preferred over Nani because of his willingness to track back and break up Barcelona's plays. Nani is, by far, a more potent offensive weapon but he doesn't help on the defensive end.

In any case, when Barcelona is at its best they are pretty much unbeatable. United's only goal came from Barca giving the ball away and they had precious few chances outside of that.

I'm quite surprised that Fergie left Berbatov out of the side. He's provided a reason that most people have swallowed but Berba is one of the few players who could have made a difference (well, maybe helped them get another goal. I don't think he could have changed the result) because he's by far the best technical player in the United side. Early on, he's very good at holding up the ball and playing a good pass to a teammate. And, late in the game, he gives you the option to go long ball. It's not an eye pleasing strategy, but Barca is a short side and United was clearly unable to beat them with ground passing. Obviously, his finishing and workrate aren't always great but I'm still shocked that Fergie would deny himself such a versatile option.

Hi Ed

Disagree with Berba

When you play Barca you all have to work insanely hard to get the ball back. Man U can afford to carry the genius that is Berba, but not against Barca

Rob

Mon May 30, 2011 9:51 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Terrible result but mesmerising to watch. Barcelona are in a class of their own.

Leaving Berba out has more or less opened the door for him to leave. A swap deal for Modric is on the cards, which I'd be more than happy with.

Scholes has announced his retirement from the game which is a massive shame, but that does mean we may have to finance a replacement. I'm excited to see if it will be Modric or Schneider perhaps.

Tue May 31, 2011 6:18 am
Arron wrote:
Terrible result but mesmerising to watch. Barcelona are in a class of their own.

Leaving Berba out has more or less opened the door for him to leave. A swap deal for Modric is on the cards, which I'd be more than happy with.

Scholes has announced his retirement from the game which is a massive shame, but that does mean we may have to finance a replacement. I'm excited to see if it will be Modric or Schneider perhaps.

Wesley Sneijder or the retired Bernd Schneider? Sneijder won't come cheap if he is indeed a target.

Modric is a fine player and perhaps they can do a swap for Berba. Man U will probably have to add some cash though. Berba is 30 and only has one year left on his contract. That means his value is low. Modric is only 25, is on contract until 2016 and is in demand. His value is high.

Besides, Berba is earning about 110,000 pounds a week at Man U. I can't find concrete figures, but a 2010 report suggests that Tottenham has a wage structure and does not pay more than 75,000 a week (that could have changed since then). I don't think the Berba will have much interest in taking a 35,000 pound per week wage cut!

Tue May 31, 2011 2:34 pm
Fire Bob Bradley.

Please and thank you.

Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:38 pm

So far we have bought Phil Jones (excellent young defender/holding midfielder), David De gea (excellent young goalkeeper) and Ashley Young. So far I'm very pleased. We've been linked with a few attacking midfielders with a lot of flair recently, giving us the spark we've missed since Ronaldo.

Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:01 am
Arron wrote:
So far we have bought Phil Jones (excellent young defender/holding midfielder), David De gea (excellent young goalkeeper) and Ashley Young. So far I'm very pleased. We've been linked with a few attacking midfielders with a lot of flair recently, giving us the spark we've missed since Ronaldo.

Good moves, in theory. I think they've overpaid a little for Jones (though you always seem to have to overpay for young English talent) and I have questions about thrusting such a young (though admittedly gifted) goalkeeper into the starting position at Man U. The pressure will be immense and De Gea won't have much time to make a few mistakes and grow into the role. Witness Massimo Taibi, a solid goalie who made one or two howlers at Old Trafford and is comically remembered as someone inept.

Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:52 pm
It's now just a few days to the launch of the 2011-12 English Premier League campaign, and I gotta say that I'm more optimistic about my boys than I have been in years. King Kenny of course is the big reason for this, but the acquisitions of Adam, Henderson, and Downing are other reasons, as the team now has a wonderful depth at midfield that it hasn't enjoyed since the last time the Reds won the Champions' League. Go, you Reds!

Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:45 pm
Liverpool isn't even in the Europa League either which should be a big plus. They can focus all their energy on the Premiership and given the inexperience of De Gea at Man U I think that Liverpool have an outside shot at winning it all. They're far from favourites but you're rightfully optimistic.

Bayern has spent large sums in order to bolster their squad. Then they started the season with a 1-0 loss at home to a side that might have to battle to avoid relegation. I think they're still the favourites but they have to find their form quickly. The Champions League final is at the Allianz Arena but before they can entertain any thoughts of playing the final at home they must actually qualify for the champions league proper next week. It should be easy, but their first Bundesliga game should have been easy too.

I still don't get the Bundesliga on television so I'm very excited to see how Dortmund fare in the Champions League. The little I've seen seems to suggest that they favour a high press and play in a style similar to Barcelona. With much of the title winning squad intact they should remain dangerous. Of course, having a thin squad play many competitions is dangerous.

I see more Premiership games than those of other leagues mostly because of television availability. In recent years I've really taken a liking to Arsenal. They play attractive football and I like the fact that they don't try to buy titles. The result is that they haven't won anything for 6 years but I'll continue to support them because of their morals and aesthetics. However, both Cesc and Nasri are set to move so it will be a difficult season for them.

Finally, I want to complain about the continued influx of money into football. I have no problem with wealthy owners directing their personal funds into the game. That means more money in football and more money for the smaller clubs to cash in. However, it's gotten ridiculous of late. Remember the Galactico days of Real Madrid? You used to look at their bench and be amazed at the star players sitting on the bench. Now you're amazed at the names not even making the bench. They're in street clothes!

It's the influx of new money that is inflating transfer fees. PSG bought Pastore for over 40 million. Chelsea was interested but decided matching the offer was not value for money. Does that compute? Chelsea, who spend obscene sums, thought it was too much money. Do you know who the top spending club in Europe was until a few weeks ago? Malaga. Yes, Malaga. They're also Qatari financed and have spent big money on big names this summer. Then there's the most ridiculous story of all. Samuel Eto'o is about to leave Inter Milan for...Anzhi Makhachkala. It's a mediocre Russian side that isn't in any European competition. But, they've paid Inter well and will pay Eto'o even better. Reports are that Eto'o will earn 300000 pounds ($485000) a week. That's a world record. The Million Dollar Man had it right. Everyone has a price.

Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:53 pm

Thought I'd put an update in here as there hasn't been one for a little while.

Excellent start to the season from Man Utd. We've looked fantastic for the most part. de Gea has made a few mistakes, but he's already growing in confidence from a couple of clean sheets and making some excellent saves. Four wins from four in the Premier League including the stunning 8-2 demolition of Arsenal. Before that game, I told my girlfriend that Utd would destroy Arsenal and put money on Utd winning 5-2. I also was about to click submit on betting on Rooney getting a hat-trick, but cancelled it at the last minute - gutted. Following that, Utd beat Bolton 5-0 with another Rooney hat-trick. He's looked amazing for Utd and England this season.

Young and Jones have both been tremendous. Young already has a couple of brilliant goals and assists to his name and Phil Jones is just an absolute monster. For a centre back, he's superb at running with the ball and his passing is outrageously good. He reads the game so well.

We never bought anyone to replace Scholes in the summer, but Tom Cleverley has been excellent in the opening few games. I'd still love to bring someone else in; perhaps Goetze, but I think his price tag would be through the roof.

Man City have also won their opening four games and they too look very, very good. Sergio Aguero is world class. Dzeko has finally come to life. Nasri and Silva could more or less walk into any team in the world. It will be interesting to see how they fare in the Champions League.

Utd to win the league this year.

Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:42 am

Man Utd vs Liverpool this weekend - I can't wait.

Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:06 am
Arron wrote:
Man Utd vs Liverpool this weekend - I can't wait.

Should be a good one. I still think Liverpool overpaid for Carroll and they look a much better side when Suarez and Kuyt play instead of him. Your Manchester looks pretty unbeatable right now, but so did Chelsea at this time of the last season. Still, United doesn't seem like the kind of team to let a lead slip.

I loved how all the commentators were dissecting City's loss to Bayern and saying how poor City were. Did people really expect them to win that game? Bayern is a perennial favourite in every competition they enter. They were playing at home. They had not conceded in 10 games. They were the top seed in the group. Stands to reason that City would lose. City might have come up with a really good team in a short space of time but it takes years to become great. Still pretenders.

Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:31 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
I still think Liverpool overpaid for Carroll and they look a much better side when Suarez and Kuyt play instead of him.

Liverpool didn't pay all THAT much to get Carroll, given the amount that they got from selling Torres to Chelsea. Thus, he's not a huge bust if he doesn't end up panning out with the Reds.

Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:44 pm
Ragnarok73 wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:
I still think Liverpool overpaid for Carroll and they look a much better side when Suarez and Kuyt play instead of him.

Liverpool didn't pay all THAT much to get Carroll, given the amount that they got from selling Torres to Chelsea. Thus, he's not a huge bust if he doesn't end up panning out with the Reds.

The money Liverpool paid made Carroll the 8th most expensive signing in history, the most expensive British signing in history and the second most expensive player playing for a British club. That means Liverpool paid a LOT of money. Sure, they sold Torres for more so they still made a profit. That doesn't suddenly make Carroll cheap.

Now, Newcastle replaced Carroll with Demba Ba. He's done very well. They've gotten him on a free transfer. That's what I call cheap and a good piece of business.

Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:28 pm

Newcastle are laughing right now. £35 mill and an instant replacement - not bad!

Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:33 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 317 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16