Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:48 am

TRESPASS 
Site Admin

Post TRESPASS
Click here for the review of Trespass

SPOILERS must be tagged with the "SPOILER" tag!

Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:48 am
Profile WWW
Director

Post Re: TRESPASS
I can tell that this one already has a good chance of ending up on the worst of the year list.

When I first saw the title for this a few months ago my intial thought was: It must be a remake of the now mostly forgotten 1992 Walter Hill directed film of the same name starring Bill Paxton, Ice-T, William Sadler and Ice Cube. Had it been, this would have been remakes galore week.

Either way, I had no real interest in seeing this. But this pretty much makes it definite I will not be going anywhere near this one. I praised Cage in Kick Ass and Port Of Call New Orleans because it seemed like he was trying to do something other than phone in it. But here, he seems to be going right back in that direction.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:25 am
This actually sounds kinda fun to me, Cage just dosent' have very high standards when it comes to movies, he already did a DTV film early in his career called Deadfall, so this dosen't come as a surprise.

Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:05 pm
The review was fun to read. I almost want to check it out to see if it's really as bad as critics are saying (or if I want a good laugh).

Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:17 pm
Producer

So is Joel Schumacher's worst movie? James gave Batman & Robin 2 stars and I believe that is what he gave The Number 23 as well. I've always considered those two movies to be his worst, as I'm sure a lot of people have, especially Batman & Robin.

I'm still a fan of his though because his good to great movies still far outnumber his bad movies.

Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:06 pm
James Berardinelli wrote:
Cage has now appeared in so many take-the-money-and-run productions that one has to wonder if he has some huge hidden debt he needs to pay off.

I thought that Cage was in fact bankrupt (or very near), which explains his being in these types of movies: for several quick pay checks a year. Apparently, he lost A LOT when the market collapsed back in 07/08.

Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:52 pm
The real question may be why Millennium elected to screen this for critics since it assures a flotilla of horrible advance reviews.

Perhaps they were hoping that the presence of Nicole Kidman would be enough to make most reviewers more positively inclined towards the film? (throws hands in the air)

Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:19 pm
Second Unit Director

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
Cage has now appeared in so many take-the-money-and-run productions that one has to wonder if he has some huge hidden debt he needs to pay off.

I thought that Cage was in fact bankrupt (or very near), which explains his being in these types of movies: for several quick pay checks a year. Apparently, he lost A LOT when the market collapsed back in 07/08.

Yeah, that was my understanding, too. I obviously don't know the details of his financial situation, but I thought it was common knowledge that he has had major financial problems--so it's not really hidden.

Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:10 pm
dps wrote:
roastbeef_ajus wrote:

Yeah, that was my understanding, too. I obviously don't know the details of his financial situation, but I thought it was common knowledge that he has had major financial problems--so it's not really hidden.

Very obvious, like $8 million in debt when the news found out...possibly more.

Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:43 pm
[/quote]

Very obvious, like $8 million in debt when the news found out...possibly more.[/quote]

That's it? $8 million? That's like one paycheck for him. Surely just doing one film would have easily taken care of that debt.

Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:49 pm
ck100 wrote:
Quote:

Very obvious, like $8 million in debt when the news found out...possibly more.

That's it? $8 million? That's like one paycheck for him. Surely just doing one film would have easily taken care of that debt.

There's taxes, agents, managers and actually buying something to live like food is going to take a huge chunk out of a $20 million paycheck.

Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:09 am
After reviewing Cage's recent filmography, I would say that the last movie in which he appeared that was actually worth a damn (excluding Kick-Ass, which was not "a Nicolas Cage film") was World Trade Center. And that was five years ago. The last great movie he was in was Adaptation., which was nine years ago. Looking at the rest of the titles from the past decade... well, one can understand how easily people have forgotten that, once upon a time, he was once an acclaimed and respected actor and that a new Nicolas Cage movie was once something to look forward to.

Perhaps he should host an acting seminar entitled "How to Piss Away an Oscar Win" (with special guest speaker Cuba Gooding, Jr.)

Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:01 pm
Artmonkey wrote:
After reviewing Cage's recent filmography, I would say that the last movie in which he appeared that was actually worth a damn (excluding Kick-Ass, which was not "a Nicolas Cage film") was World Trade Center. And that was five years ago. The last great movie he was in was Adaptation., which was nine years ago. Looking at the rest of the titles from the past decade... well, one can understand how easily people have forgotten that, once upon a time, he was once an acclaimed and respected actor and that a new Nicolas Cage movie was once something to look forward to.

Bad Lieutenant is phenomenal, if flawed, and Cage is wonderful in it. Over the decade I think he was great in Matchstick Men and The Weather Man, although both films have some weak elements. I don't think he's past the point of being able to turn in good performances, and unlike many of his peers, I think he actually cares and tries, even when the films he chooses are pretty inexplicalbe.

Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:07 pm
Artmonkey wrote:

Perhaps he should host an acting seminar entitled "How to Piss Away an Oscar Win" (with special guest speaker Cuba Gooding, Jr.)

I'd argue that Bangkok Dangerous was a pretty good film, also when you're in debt, you can't really afford to be picky about which films you act in.

Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:09 pm
Was I the only one around here that really really liked Bad Lieutenant? I thought it was very good and his support role in Kick-Ass was quite solid but the guy has been slumming it for years.

Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:26 pm
Nick wrote:
Was I the only one around here that really really liked Bad Lieutenant? I thought it was very good and his support role in Kick-Ass was quite solid but the guy has been slumming it for years.

I thought it was pretty good too, I guess it was just too weird for most people.

Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:44 pm
Vexer wrote:
This actually sounds kinda fun to me, Cage just dosent' have very high standards when it comes to movies, he already did a DTV film early in his career called Deadfall, so this dosen't come as a surprise.

The concept does sound interesting and I'm being put in mind of 'Panic Room' a little. Maybe that's being too optimistic but there sure isn't much else good playing near me!

Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:07 pm
Producer

Nick wrote:

That's funny because I was going to ask am the only who hated the movie? Seriously, that movie got good to great reviews and I didn't like it at all.

Cage has definitely been incredibly inconsistent this past few years although several of his movies that got negative reviews I have enjoyed. Love me those National Treasure flicks. I find them to be thoroughly enjoyable. And although I was frustrated with how it ended, I thought Next was pretty cool. Drive Angry was a blast too.

I think his worst movie that I've seen, and certainly to me his most disappointing was Knowing. That movie has a GREAT concept and the trailer was FANTASTIC. Too bad the movie itself stunk. :(

Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:35 am
ck100 wrote:

I think he also is/was paying a lot of money to his ex-wife, at least partly for care of his son who has some mental/behavioral issues. IIRC, he was also paying the mortgage on the zillion-dollar house she got to stay in as part of the settlement.

Wait, JB were you just pulling our legs by guessing at a "hidden debt"? I hardly ever follow celebrity gossip and I knew this one. If so, well played. :D

Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:29 am
ilovemovies wrote:
Nick wrote:

That's funny because I was going to ask am the only who hated the movie? Seriously, that movie got good to great reviews and I didn't like it at all.

Cage has definitely been incredibly inconsistent this past few years although several of his movies that got negative reviews I have enjoyed. Love me those National Treasure flicks. I find them to be thoroughly enjoyable. And although I was frustrated with how it ended, I thought Next was pretty cool. Drive Angry was a blast too.

I think his worst movie that I've seen, and certainly to me his most disappointing was Knowing. That movie has a GREAT concept and the trailer was FANTASTIC. Too bad the movie itself stunk. :(
Agreed! Knowing was god awful! Why Ebert like dit so much, I will never understand. I don't think it's as terrible as Season Of The Witch or Wicker Man though, but only because the plot could have potentially been interesting

Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:45 am