Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:30 am

The Walking Dead 
Post The Walking Dead
Judging from the pilot, I'd say AMC has another winner on their hands, provided it gets the audience it deserves.

Anybody else catch this? As a big fan of the comic series, I was really looking forward to the prospect of zombies on the small screen, and it delivered big time.

Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:39 pm
Director

Post Re: The Walking Dead
I'm in the middle of it. So far so good. I'm honestly surprised it isn't tv ma though.

Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:58 pm
Wow, the production values are so high. I liked the black guy, basically the same part as Jericho from what I saw. This could be really good show, I hope it gets watched.

Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:28 pm
AMC reports that 5.3M viewers tuned in for Halloween. Biggest opening for an AMC show ever, including Breaking Bad and Mad Men.

I'm very happy to be one of the 5.3M because the pilot was absolutely phenomenal.

Frank Darabont's deft hand really showed, Andrew Lincoln and Lennie James were amazing, and the music was awesome as well.

I also liked the fact that the zombies were all make-up and no crappy CGI. There was still some CGI (mostly headshots), but practical effects far outnumbered it.

Easily one of the best first episodes in a long time. I'll be there next week.

Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:09 pm
Alejandro wrote:
AMC reports that 5.3M viewers tuned in for Halloween. Biggest opening for an AMC show ever, including Breaking Bad and Mad Men.

I'm very happy to be one of the 5.3M because the pilot was absolutely phenomenal.

That's great to hear. One of the biggest worries I had after watching the pilot was that the audience for it may be too limited. Hopefully people continue to tune in so it will extend for multiple seasons.

Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:28 am
I also loved the pilot! But since I haven't read the graphic novels, I have no idea how they are going to extend this for multiple seasons...it feels more like a mini-series to me.

That being said, I will tune in every week until it finishes or gets cancelled!

Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:01 am
One of my friends forced me to start reading the comic series, so I didn't miss the series opener of this show on the past Sunday. It's definitely a different take on the zombie genre, as the show conveys that sense of down-to-earthness that the characters display as they try to survive a world hit by an undead apocalypse. I'm definitely interested in seeing how the following scenario from the comics plays out in the TV show.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Shane dealing with the return of Rick and his death later in the series.

Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:37 pm
I was relieved that the second episode didn't have a drop in quality. There was less emotional content than in the pilot, but they rounded it out with much more action and plenty of sweet sweet gore. I was shocked at what they got away with in this episode, and it makes me confident that the series isn't going to pull any punches.

Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:06 pm
Blonde Almond wrote:
I was relieved that the second episode didn't have a drop in quality. There was less emotional content than in the pilot, but they rounded it out with much more action and plenty of sweet sweet gore. I was shocked at what they got away with in this episode, and it makes me confident that the series isn't going to pull any punches.

Ya, I could not believe that this was on a normal cable channel. I mean Sarah Wayne Callies was getting railed in the beginning...:) and the entire chop up the body scene... I have seen way way less gore in R-rated horror films before.

Anyway, another awesome series for AMC. They are about to give hBO a run for their money!

Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:00 pm
Director

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
Blonde Almond wrote:

Ya, I could not believe that this was on a normal cable channel. I mean Sarah Wayne Callies was getting railed in the beginning...:) and the entire chop up the body scene... I have seen way way less gore in R-rated horror films before.

Anyway, another awesome series for AMC. They are about to give hBO a run for their money!

Hopefully this will inspire more cable networks to pursue more serious genre shows...

Like, say, bringing back FIREFLY.

Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:00 pm
The first four episodes have all been amazing...the climax of the last was off the #@*^%ing rails! :twisted:

Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:49 pm
PR0METHEU5 wrote:
The first four episodes have all been amazing...the climax of the last was off the #@*^%ing rails! :twisted:

Agreed. There's been a few moments that have seemed a little "off" to me, but overall this has been some of the best television in 2010 so far. It's also taken quite a few steps away from its source material, which for me is a good thing. Like you said, the climax of the last episode was fantastic, and it reaffirmed to me that the show will have no problem killing off characters in the future.

I just realized the fifth episode premieres in about an hour. I'm looking forward to it.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:16 pm
Quote:
Agreed. There's been a few moments that have seemed a little "off" to me, but overall this has been some of the best television in 2010 so far. It's also taken quite a few steps away from its source material, which for me is a good thing. Like you said, the climax of the last episode was fantastic, and it reaffirmed to me that the show will have no problem killing off characters in the future.

I just realized the fifth episode premieres in about an hour. I'm looking forward to it.

I agree, Darabont and his writers will hold no punches.

I wish I had AMC I'm always a few days behind and it sucks!!

Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:55 pm
PR0METHEU5 wrote:
Quote:

I agree, Darabont and his writers will hold no punches.

I wish I had AMC I'm always a few days behind and it sucks!!

Speaking of Darabont holding no punches, he fired his entire writing staff today.

http://screenrant.com/the-walking-dead-fires-writers-aco-89980/

What strikes me most about this show is its ability to feel theatrical and grand in almost every shot. I've been surprised at the performances thus far as there aren't any huge name actors/actresses in this series, the acting has actuall been pretty decent. There have been a couple scenes where I thought Andrew Lincoln was pouring it on a little too thick but he seems to be doing better each week. Laurie Holden has been incredible throughout though.

Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:39 am
Quote:
he fired his entire writing staff today

Very interesting I hadn't heard about that. But the way the article reads it looks like they weren't exactly getting much into the final episodes anyways.

P.S. episode 5 was as awesome as I had hoped :shock:

Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:17 pm
Second Unit Director

I must admit that I'm glad he let his writing staff go as I felt this was weakest element of the show.

After a brilliant first episode, I felt that the quality has steadily declined with each episode. There were times in the final episode that I was cringing at such poorly written and delivered dialogue. And the characters are steadily loosing my interest either through just being horrible people, or through the stupid decisions and words that come out of their mouth. So far no character feels real, and for a show with such an out-there concept, this is something a great importance.

I'm still willing to give the second season a chance, as it still has potential to become great. I wasn't a massive fan of the first season of Mad Men either, but it continually improved and the fourth season if one of my favourite seasons of any TV show. I just don't like the direction it seems to be heading, and the pathos and understated emotion of the first episode seems be have been lost.

Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:46 pm
Looks like the writing dismissal was greatly exaggerated, i.e not true.

The bigger question is, how can I sustain myself only only 6 episodes until the new season :?

Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:53 pm
And we now stand just over a day from the Season 2 premiere of the show (Sunday, October 16/11) on AMC. Is anyone looking forward to it? I'm kinda dreading it, not only because I know about how bad things got in the original comic series after this point, but also because of how the producers of the show may change the material. There is a lot of bad stuff on the horizon, so this could be very, very harrowing to watch...

Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:35 pm
Can't wait for season 2 to start! I watched all of season 1 over again this past week on Netflix to get ready for it.

I know nothing about the original comic series...so anything will be a surprise to me regardless.

Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:47 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

I have a feeling that "The Walking Dead" may not be referring to the zombies exclusively. I have not read the comics, so please hide any spoilery responses. If the producers keep this dark and edgy like Breaking Bad has been, then we could witness another "downer" pop culture masterpiece.

Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:52 pm