Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:08 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 373 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
My Life 
Critic

Post Re: My Life
Patrick wrote:
I wish to say these things last week but due to some wacky hijinks, I'm saying them now:

Remember my job? Well I longer work there as a contractor....I work there as a GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEE, starting today!

Remember that movie my friend was making that I was trying to drum up support here but met with apathy and people saying that they were too poor to donate? Well my friend made his movie and the premiere was a few weeks ago. I'm the one in the suit.

And that means, I'm on IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4683233/

What have you done with your lives lately?

No longer will you merely be known for your star-fucking, Michael Biehn/Kane Hodder hugging ways!

Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:08 pm
Cinematographer

Patrick wrote:
/nm4683233/[/url]

Taking care of my children. (Contributing to the delinquency of minors). It may not sound like fun, but warping young minds is a great way to pass time.

Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:35 pm
CasualDad wrote:
Patrick wrote:
/nm4683233/[/url]

Taking care of my children. (Contributing to the delinquency of minors). It may not sound like fun, but warping young minds is a great way to pass time.

:lol: I'm so stealing that line if I ever have children.

Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:33 pm
Critic

CasualDad wrote:
Patrick wrote:
/nm4683233/[/url]

It may not sound like fun, but warping young minds is a great way to pass time.

It's why I'm a teacher!

Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:37 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
CasualDad wrote:
Patrick wrote:
/nm4683233/[/url]

It may not sound like fun, but warping young minds is a great way to pass time.

It's why I'm a teacher!

Never let this leave Reelviews. I see some US states are banning teachers from adding their students on facebook. Talk about an overreaction.

Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:38 pm
Professional life and personal life increasingly becoming estranged over here it seems.

Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:17 am
mailedbypostman wrote:
Professional life and personal life increasingly becoming estranged over here it seems.

I know that feeling. I disliked that feeling. It's probably your thyroid.

Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:32 am
The theater that does all the screenings of older movies now has suggestion boxes for future titles. Patrons are allowed two suggestions for cult classics/popular picks and three choices for classics.

I know better than to pick any actual cult movies for the former category, so I choose to recognize only the "popular picks" part of it. I also have to mind the fact that any classic title has to be fairly well known, and not some deep cut that only movie nerds know about.

My popular choices:

Superman: The Movie
Goldfinger

My classic choices:

Citizen Kane (pretty sure they haven't shown this yet, for whatever bizarre reason)
12 Angry Men
The Third Man

I would be tempted to put "Superman: The Movie" into all five boxes if I thought it might get me anywhere.

On that note, Psycho is playing this weekend.

Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:36 pm
Had three interviews last week, but no replies as of yet. I got a call for another one this week, but after doing research online it appears to be some sort of cold-calling scam. Sadly, I've gotten used to my complete failure in finding anything worthwhile.

On a more positive note, I just sent in my graduate school application to NAU, for a Masters degree in English with an emphasis on Professional Writing. The degree is online, but if I'm accepted I might try to find some kind of work in Flagstaff, maybe even a graduate assistantship. So hopefully I'll get accepted and I'll be able to jump-start my life again.

Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:08 am
Blonde Almond wrote:
Had three interviews last week, but no replies as of yet. I got a call for another one this week, but after doing research online it appears to be some sort of cold-calling scam. Sadly, I've gotten used to my complete failure in finding anything worthwhile.

On a more positive note, I just sent in my graduate school application to NAU, for a Masters degree in English with an emphasis on Professional Writing. The degree is online, but if I'm accepted I might try to find some kind of work in Flagstaff, maybe even a graduate assistantship. So hopefully I'll get accepted and I'll be able to jump-start my life again.

My job hunt hasn't gone much better, after my interview at Dominos, I never got a call back, so I guess they thought I wasn't fit for the job. I almost got taken in by a scam once myself(it was called Vector Marketing in case anyone's interested) they scheduled an interview for me almost as soon as I called them, I knew it was highly unlikely to get a job interview THAT easily, so I did some research and sure enough, it was a scam targeting college students, so I cancelled my so-called interview and ignored them.

Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:16 pm
Vexer wrote:
My job hunt hasn't gone much better, after my interview at Dominos, I never got a call back, so I guess they thought I wasn't fit for the job. I almost got taken in by a scam once myself(it was called Vector Marketing in case anyone's interested) they scheduled an interview for me almost as soon as I called them, I knew it was highly unlikely to get a job interview THAT easily, so I did some research and sure enough, it was a scam targeting college students, so I cancelled my so-called interview and ignored them.

Just to clear things up, Vector Marketing is absolutely not a scam. I and many others I know have made good money from them. Most of the complaints you find online are from lazy people who wanted easy money for little work. It's not for everybody and like any company you have to be careful because individual pockets of people are scummy and will try to take you, but it's nowhere near a pyramid scheme or any other sort of scam. Again, I'm not saying whether or not anyone here should do it, but calling it a scam isn't accurate (and Vex, I'm not coming down on you, rather the people who post those anti-Vector websites to try to make up for the fact that they were lazy and expected big money).

Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:45 pm
Shade wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Just to clear things up, Vector Marketing is absolutely not a scam. I and many others I know have made good money from them. Most of the complaints you find online are from lazy people who wanted easy money for little work. It's not for everybody and like any company you have to be careful because individual pockets of people are scummy and will try to take you, but it's nowhere near a pyramid scheme or any other sort of scam. Again, I'm not saying whether or not anyone here should do it, but calling it a scam isn't accurate (and Vex, I'm not coming down on you, rather the people who post those anti-Vector websites to try to make up for the fact that they were lazy and expected big money).

Maybe you're thinking of a different company with the same name, I read far too many claims of it being a scam for me to even entertain the chance of actually working for them, it had nothing to do with being lazy, it sounded like a sleazy business practice in general. Besides, I didn't have thousands of dollars to spend on a set of knives, so even if it wasn't a scam, it certainly wouldn't have been a very practical or profitable job for me in the long run.

Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:46 pm
Vexer wrote:
Maybe you're thinking of a different company with the same name, I read far too many claims of it being a scam for me to even entertain the chance of actually working for them, it had nothing to do with being lazy, it sounded like a sleazy business practice in general. Besides, I didn't have thousands of dollars to spend on a set of knives, so even if it wasn't a scam, it certainly wouldn't have been a very practical or profitable job for me in the long run.

I promise I'm thinking of the right company. And whoever told you it's thousands of dollars up-front is straight-up lying: it costs about $160 for a demo set of knives (which are worth more than that if you just keep them for yourself), and that's it. You never have to pre-purchase inventory or anything like that like you do with AmWay or similar things. Again, I'm not saying you should do it (you don't seem like the direct-sales type), but it's neither sleazy nor a scam, unless you're willing to call any company that sells anything sleazy. It's a very good (though expensive and not for everyone) product. I knew 20 year-olds pulling in $10,000 a week. As you said, it may not be for you, but don't slam it when you don't know what it is.

Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:10 pm
Vexer wrote:
Shade wrote:
Vexer wrote:

I had a friend of mine work for Vector once. He didn't complain about being scammed or anything like that and he complains about EVERYTHING, especially if he was being scammed..

Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:07 pm
Shade wrote:
Vexer wrote:

I promise I'm thinking of the right company. And whoever told you it's thousands of dollars up-front is straight-up lying: it costs about $160 for a demo set of knives (which are worth more than that if you just keep them for yourself), and that's it. You never have to pre-purchase inventory or anything like that like you do with AmWay or similar things. Again, I'm not saying you should do it (you don't seem like the direct-sales type), but it's neither sleazy nor a scam, unless you're willing to call any company that sells anything sleazy. It's a very good (though expensive and not for everyone) product. I knew 20 year-olds pulling in $10,000 a week. As you said, it may not be for you, but don't slam it when you don't know what it is.

Well like I said, if it was just one guy saying it was a scam, I probably would've just brushed it off, but when you read dozens and dozens of people claiming it's a scam, it's very hard not to be suspicious, especially in this day and age. I don't think all those people were lying about the company being a scam either, maybe it's just SOME of the offshoots that are scamming people, regardless, i'd much rather work for a company that i'm 100% sure is legitimate.

Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:55 pm
Vexer wrote:
Shade wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Well like I said, if it was just one guy saying it was a scam, I probably would've just brushed it off, but when you read dozens and dozens of people claiming it's a scam, it's very hard not to be suspicious, especially in this day and age. I don't think all those people were lying about the company being a scam either, maybe it's just SOME of the offshoots that are scamming people, regardless, i'd much rather work for a company that i'm 100% sure is legitimate.

Why would you believe, some random, faceless bozos on the internet who hide behind screen names and whom you'd never get to meet in real life? Back me up on this "Shade". :D

Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:09 pm
Well like I said, in this day and age, it's REALLY hard to tell what's a scam and what isn't, so I'd feel much more comfortable working someplace that I'm 100% sure is legitimate. Even if it isn't a scam, i'd still rather not take the risk. No offense, but you guys saying it's not a scam isn't enough to convince me.

Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:25 pm
Vexer wrote:
No offense, but you guys saying it's not a scam isn't enough to convince me.

I'm not saying it should on its own, but I am providing evidence for my claims. Most of the "scam" callers say things like "I NEVER GOT MY $16 AN HOUR," which is not something the company claims you will get.

Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:43 pm
Shade wrote:
Vexer wrote:
No offense, but you guys saying it's not a scam isn't enough to convince me.

I'm not saying it should on its own, but I am providing evidence for my claims. Most of the "scam" callers say things like "I NEVER GOT MY $16 AN HOUR," which is not something the company claims you will get.

Well even so, i'm still a VERY cautious person and I just don't feel comfortable taking any chances with this company.

Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:00 pm
I was actually involved with a Vector-like company recently. Still am kind of. I'm either going to quit or momentarily quit, as school and other priorities are taking hold at the moment. I don't think it's a scam, but it requires work I'm simply not willing to put in at the moment. I don't blame Vexer for being cautious (most lives would probably be better off without any sort of involvement), but it's not a scam.

Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:34 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 373 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next