Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:17 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
The original music thread. 
Author Message
Post Re: The original music thread.
Blah. I keep on meaning to come back to this thread in detail, but I always forget until I'm doing something that makes it inconvenient.

Suffice it to say that I've read and appreciate all comments re. Tyrannovox, and I've reached many similar conclusions.

We're currently working on our second (and final) album, which I'll be sure to post here for anybody who wants to listen. It should be done... god, hopefully by the end of the year. It's been a bit of a slog.

But yeah. Thanks, guys. It really means a lot, and I promise that I'll return the favor for everyone else who has posted stuff here. Sometime. I'll try to try.


Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:19 pm
Post Re: The original music thread.
X-posted from my blog thread.

New on my blog: my band's new album art (by yours truly), plus a new Simpsons recap.


Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:10 am
Post Re: The original music thread.
Ken wrote:
We're currently working on our second (and final) album, which I'll be sure to post here for anybody who wants to listen.


Final album? Are you guys planning on calling it a day?


Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:20 pm
Post Re: The original music thread.
Yeah. Everyone's got their own thing going on and it's getting harder and harder to do stuff as a group. The other guitar player and I are the only ones really at liberty to continue, and his future plan involves starting a cover band--something I'm not particularly interested in doing.


Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:17 pm
Post Re: The original music thread.
Ken wrote:
Yeah. Everyone's got their own thing going on and it's getting harder and harder to do stuff as a group. The other guitar player and I are the only ones really at liberty to continue, and his future plan involves starting a cover band--something I'm not particularly interested in doing.


O.K. sounds like a classic situation here. Any interest in asking a "music veteran's" opinion (been through it all - trust me)? If so, please let me know how I can provide you with my email addy. Your web-site perhaps?


Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:32 pm
Post Re: The original music thread.
You can tell me directly here through a private message. Just click the little "PM" at the bottom of one of my posts.


Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:56 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:20 pm
Posts: 162
Post Re: The original music thread.
I'll have a listen through these at home when I get a chance. I'll post up some of my old bands too. Warning - shit metal content.


Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:36 am
Profile
Post Re: The original music thread.
http://www.reverbnation.com/thesweedishpickles


Three new songs posted:

'Sarah' (me on vocals, guitar, my best friend Bri on drums, bass)
'Give Her Roses' (Bri on vocals, drums, bass, me on back-up vocals, guitar)
'White Sesame' (me on vocals, guitar, Bri on drums and bass - if we actually decided to record bass at all)

Listen and give me feedback - Punishing, bruising feedback! Or hey, even rain down a few compliments. We're performing in southern PA and northern NJ soon for those interested.


Also, the link should say Swedish* Pickles. Because that's obviously a much less silly band name.


Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:15 pm
Post Re: The original music thread.
Evenflow8112 wrote:
http://www.reverbnation.com/thesweedishpickles


Three new songs posted:

'Sarah' (me on vocals, guitar, my best friend Bri on drums, bass)
'Give Her Roses' (Bri on vocals, drums, bass, me on back-up vocals, guitar)
'White Sesame' (me on vocals, guitar, Bri on drums and bass - if we actually decided to record bass at all)

Listen and give me feedback - Punishing, bruising feedback! Or hey, even rain down a few compliments. We're performing in southern PA and northern NJ soon for those interested.


Also, the link should say Swedish* Pickles. Because that's obviously a much less silly band name.


The mixing is rough, of course. There's good elements. I would imagine live would be more in the element for this particular project.


Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:31 pm
Post Re: The original music thread.
Shade wrote:
Evenflow8112 wrote:
http://www.reverbnation.com/thesweedishpickles


Three new songs posted:

'Sarah' (me on vocals, guitar, my best friend Bri on drums, bass)
'Give Her Roses' (Bri on vocals, drums, bass, me on back-up vocals, guitar)
'White Sesame' (me on vocals, guitar, Bri on drums and bass - if we actually decided to record bass at all)

Listen and give me feedback - Punishing, bruising feedback! Or hey, even rain down a few compliments. We're performing in southern PA and northern NJ soon for those interested.


Also, the link should say Swedish* Pickles. Because that's obviously a much less silly band name.


The mixing is rough, of course. There's good elements. I would imagine live would be more in the element for this particular project.


VERY rough, but thank you for the feedback, sir. Always appreciated.


Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:28 am
Post Re: The original music thread.
I dig it, Evenflow. It's rocking, in a punky kind of way. I particularly dig the way that you (pretty sure it's you) use more than one register of your voice so that there's a contrast when you hit full power.

The profile thingy says you primarily do solo acoustic stuff. I take it that this is an outlet for your higher-energy side? Also, if it's just you and one other guy, are you expanding into a full band?

-----

Per my own situation, the guys and I have chatted about it. Our album still isn't done (we thought would be finished about a million years ago, but our vocalist has been busy with his baby and wedding plans), but once we've got that ready to go, we'll do some shows to support it.

After that, it's up in the air. I've got riffs, which I'll show to them. We've also got unfinished songs. We'll see what happens.


Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:25 am
Post Re: The original music thread.
Ken wrote:
I dig it, Evenflow. It's rocking, in a punky kind of way. I particularly dig the way that you (pretty sure it's you) use more than one register of your voice so that there's a contrast when you hit full power.

The profile thingy says you primarily do solo acoustic stuff. I take it that this is an outlet for your higher-energy side? Also, if it's just you and one other guy, are you expanding into a full band?

-----

Per my own situation, the guys and I have chatted about it. Our album still isn't done (we thought would be finished about a million years ago, but our vocalist has been busy with his baby and wedding plans), but once we've got that ready to go, we'll do some shows to support it.

After that, it's up in the air. I've got riffs, which I'll show to them. We've also got unfinished songs. We'll see what happens.



First off, how dare he. Tell him to put the baby back in and pawn the ring for a PA system. He knew what it meant when he picked up a six-string. You finish what you start.


Also, thank you. I appreciate the comments on vocals. The only song I don't sing on that set-list is Give Her Roses -- I'm the high-pitch guy who thinks he's in a Blink 182 song in the background -- so, if your comment is aimed in that direction, then my best friend gets the credit. That bastard.

We're a two-guy band; my best friend can play drums and bass and we can record either in his basement or a local studio. We're looking for a bassist so we can start playing live shows without 'enlisting' people for a night (kind of what some NBA teams were trying to do with Dwight Howard, but less sad). My best friend wanted to play bass for live shows, but finding a good/competent drummer is somewhat of a challenge - kind of like finding a needle in a pool of lava - so he has to shake the rust off and start rockin' the kit. Our standards for a bassist range anywhere from 'decently not horrible' to 'hey, you made it to practice!', so that part shouldn't be as hard.


Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:15 am
Post Re: The original music thread.
Just find a second guitar player, demonstrate that you're better at it, and demote him to bass. BOOM. Problem solved.

I can't believe people don't hire me to solve problems like this.


Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:50 pm
Post Re: The original music thread.
This isn't anything of mine, but a bunch of my buddies are in this band and I think it's pretty damn good. The guitarist and drummer are in my band, Tyrannovox.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnkPVFla5Ok


Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:07 am
Post Re: The original music thread.
Ken wrote:
This isn't anything of mine, but a bunch of my buddies are in this band and I think it's pretty damn good. The guitarist and drummer are in my band, Tyrannovox.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnkPVFla5Ok


Some great ideas here. Not to belittle anyone and judging just by one single piece of music. Let me put it this way: I have the feeling that the drummer and the guitarist (sunburst Gibson Les Paul) are way superior to the remaining members. The guitarist has a great tone and real chops. The drummer kicks serious ass. I prefer not to talk about the other guys....


Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:24 am
Post Re: The original music thread.
Lex (bassist) and Eric (keyboardist) are both good, but I'm not sure this is a form of music that either of them are especially used to. I know Eric mainly as an electronic musician and a musically educated-type person, and Lex as a metal musician. I'm not sure how those skills translate to this band.

Then again, I mainly know Ray as a metal drummer and Mike as a rock guitarist, so who knows? Obviously, I've played with them way more, so I have a much better idea of what to expect in terms of their versatility.

I can't speak for the trumpeter, since I don't know him or his background.

A few salient facts about this performance: it was the opening act for a percussion ensemble, which Ray is also in, and (I assume) is the reason for their spiffy duds. It is the first time they've performed publicly as this group. Ray has been playing drums since before his voice changed, but he's been taking formal drum classes for a little while now, so this is a good forum for him to show off what he's learned.

The thing that surprised me the most was the all-percussion portion of the piece. At some point, Mike's abilities in this area took a big leap... mainly from "zero" to "something".


Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:56 am
Post Re: The original music thread.
Ken wrote:
Lex (bassist) and Eric (keyboardist) are both good, but I'm not sure this is a form of music that either of them are especially used to. I know Eric mainly as an electronic musician and a musically educated-type person, and Lex as a metal musician. I'm not sure how those skills translate to this band.

Then again, I mainly know Ray as a metal drummer and Mike as a rock guitarist, so who knows? Obviously, I've played with them way more, so I have a much better idea of what to expect in terms of their versatility.

I can't speak for the trumpeter, since I don't know him or his background.

A few salient facts about this performance: it was the opening act for a percussion ensemble, which Ray is also in, and (I assume) is the reason for their spiffy duds. It is the first time they've performed publicly as this group. Ray has been playing drums since before his voice changed, but he's been taking formal drum classes for a little while now, so this is a good forum for him to show off what he's learned.

The thing that surprised me the most was the all-percussion portion of the piece. At some point, Mike's abilities in this area took a big leap... mainly from "zero" to "something".



That explains a lot. Thanks. I hate to judge musicians in a negative way, because it's easy to end up in a gig which is poorly rehearsed or outside one's pool of musical styles. For example a client has last-minute special rewquests and if you say no you lose the client. That's just one of many szenarios. I had my fair share of those gigs and if someone would have videotaped them, people would say I suck, because at that particular gig I did suck. As usual in life: many people hate to admit it, but luck is a huge part of anything.


Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:09 pm
Post Re: The original music thread.
Ken wrote:
Lex (bassist) and Eric (keyboardist) are both good, but I'm not sure this is a form of music that either of them are especially used to. I know Eric mainly as an electronic musician and a musically educated-type person, and Lex as a metal musician. I'm not sure how those skills translate to this band.


After having seen your Superman love on this forum many a time over, I submit...

Of course you know a bassist named Lex. When possible, you guys should try to join a band with a girl named Lois playing triangle - which would only be fair, since you'd be contractually obligated to have a love-hate two-way relationship with both them resulting in a three-way, one death, and a covert pregnancy. None in exactly that order, although I'm pretty sure even Superman needs to lay an egg before he enjoys having chicks. Oh yeah, and make sure Lois is a chick as in a woman, not a baby chicken. Kids in the Hall already covered what happens when you travel down that road (and, to some extent, South Park, which the creators could have thematically linked the chicken-fucker to the bastardized love-children of hippies and animals in a later episode, but probably didn't trust the audience to expect continuity from a show that changes its introduction montage ever 8 episodes).



God, I love coffee.


Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:42 am
Post Re: The original music thread.
First song off the new album.

EDIT:

Actually, screw that. Here's the whole album.


Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:03 pm
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: The original music thread.
It's been a while since I bothered the forum with the latest of my insipid little jingles.

http://soundcloud.com/chemical-edge/downtown
http://soundcloud.com/chemical-edge/hel ... fellacious
http://soundcloud.com/chemical-edge/chemical-edge
http://soundcloud.com/chemical-edge/hawk

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:37 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr