Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:17 pm

Which of AFI's Top 10 Mysteries is the best film? 

Which is the best mystery?
Blue Velvet 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Chinatown 41%  41%  [ 7 ]
Laura 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Dial M for Murder 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
The Maltese Falcon 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
North by Northwest 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Rear Window 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
The Third Man 29%  29%  [ 5 ]
The Usual Suspects 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Vertigo 12%  12%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 17

Which of AFI's Top 10 Mysteries is the best film? 
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Which of AFI's Top 10 Mysteries is the best film?
Is it supposed to be "best mystery" as in the topic title, or "best film" as in the poll question. Not the same thing IMO. In fact, I wouldn't call most of the movies in the poll mysteries in the first place; most of them I'd classify as suspense thrillers, but not mysteries, because the focus isn't really on the "whodunit" aspect. Take The Maltese Falcon, for example. The actual mystery in the film is supposedly "who killed Sam Spade's partner", but nobody watching really cares about the answer because the other things going on are more interesting. In fact, when I saw it the first time, by the time the killer was revealed, I'd pretty much forgotten that Spade had had a partner.

Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:59 am
dps wrote:
Take The Maltese Falcon, for example. The actual mystery in the film is supposedly "who killed Sam Spade's partner", but nobody watching really cares about the answer because the other things going on are more interesting. In fact, when I saw it the first time, by the time the killer was revealed, I'd pretty much forgotten that Spade had had a partner.

Agreed. It's a personal favorite of mine and all of the meaning in the film comes from how it's presented cinematically and how the characters interact with each other. It's a twisty, turny noir plot that means absolutely nothing. I love that concept. A masterpiece of a film.

Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:16 am
Critic

PeachyPete wrote:
dps wrote:
Take The Maltese Falcon, for example. The actual mystery in the film is supposedly "who killed Sam Spade's partner", but nobody watching really cares about the answer because the other things going on are more interesting. In fact, when I saw it the first time, by the time the killer was revealed, I'd pretty much forgotten that Spade had had a partner.

Agreed. It's a personal favorite of mine and all of the meaning in the film comes from how it's presented cinematically and how the characters interact with each other. It's a twisty, turny noir plot that means absolutely nothing. I love that concept. A masterpiece of a film.

*Sighs* I really don't like The Maltese Falcon but wish I did.

To answer the question though, I mean "best film"

Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:57 pm