For Your Consideration (2006) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 10

Favorite Movie Directed By Christopher Guest 
Critic

Post Favorite Movie Directed By Christopher Guest
Which one would you choose?

Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:20 pm
Post Re: Favorite Movie Directed By Christopher Guest
I looked over the list and was surprised that I've actually only seen two of his films: Best In Show and A Mighty Wind. The former has more laughs while the latter has more heart.

Both are solid films, but A Mighty Wind gets my vote.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:49 pm
Critic

Blonde Almond wrote:
I looked over the list and was surprised that I've actually only seen two of his films: Best In Show and A Mighty Wind. The former has more laughs while the latter has more heart.

Both are solid films, but A Mighty Wind gets my vote.

Oh you've GOT to see Waiting for Guffman, man!

Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:39 pm
I looked over the list and was surprised that I've actually only seen two of his films: Almost Heroes and A Mighty Wind. The former has less laughs while the latter has more heart.

One is a solid film, so A Mighty Wind gets my vote.

*With apologies to the most recent Movie Club presenter.

Also,

Hey! Wha Happon'?!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D421N6xlisg

Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:54 pm
I've seen Waiting for Guffman, Best in Show, and For Your Consideration. I think they're all really funny, but Best in Show is my favorite. I don't really have any other reason for picking it other than I find it the funniest of the few I've seen.

Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:12 am
Critic

PeachyPete wrote:
I've seen Waiting for Guffman, Best in Show, and For Your Consideration. I think they're all really funny, but Best in Show is my favorite. I don't really have any other reason for picking it other than I find it the funniest of the few I've seen.

And it develops its characters so well! It's a 90 minute comedy and yet I feel I know these people

Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:56 pm
PeachyPete wrote:

I've seen almost the entire movie by watching bits and pieces of it on Comedy Central (so not the best way to see anything). Everything I've seen was really good and it has a chance to usurp A Might Wind as my favourite. That is if I ever bother to watch the entire thing properly.

Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:03 pm
Director

What, no "Attack of the 50-Foot Woman"? ;)

I voted for "A Mighty Wind," my favorite of his 'mockumentary' films. However, I must concede that this format, as "For Your Consideration" proved, has grown stale... which presumably Guest himself has realized, which is why he hasn't made a film in 6 years now. :|

Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:16 am
Critic

H.I. McDonough wrote:
What, no "Attack of the 50-Foot Woman"? ;)

I voted for "A Mighty Wind," my favorite of his 'mockumentary' films. However, I must concede that this format, as "For Your Consideration" proved, has grown stale... which presumably Guest himself has realized, which is why he hasn't made a film in 6 years now. :|

My problem with For Your Consideration wasn't the format (which, incidentally, was not the same as his previous ones -- no on-camera, doc-style "interviews) but the lack of warmth for characters which gave Best in Show, Waiting for Guffman, and (to a lesser degree) A Mighty Wind such endearing charm

Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:13 pm
Director

JamesKunz wrote:
My problem with For Your Consideration wasn't the format (which, incidentally, was not the same as his previous ones -- no on-camera, doc-style "interviews)

Uh, yeah, it basically WAS the same; the only real difference was that Guest replaced the on-camera interviews with the actors doing Access Hollywood-style interviews with the Jane Lynch and Fred Willard characters instead. Otherwise it had the exact same arc (and the exact same 'where are they now?' epilogue) as "Guffman," "Show," and "Wind." :|

Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:58 am
Critic

H.I. McDonough wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
My problem with For Your Consideration wasn't the format (which, incidentally, was not the same as his previous ones -- no on-camera, doc-style "interviews)

Uh, yeah, it basically WAS the same; the only real difference was that Guest replaced the on-camera interviews with the actors doing Access Hollywood-style interviews with the Jane Lynch and Fred Willard characters instead. Otherwise it had the exact same arc (and the exact same 'where are they now?' epilogue) as "Guffman," "Show," and "Wind." :|

Yeah I guess they're kinda the same, aren't they?

Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:24 am
Director

Another thing I think is that Guest's ensemble of regulars may be getting too large for its own good. It was fine when there was about 10 of them, but the number has continued to escalate on each subsequent film. And do they ALL have to be in every one of his films? :|

Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:42 pm
Assistant Director

A Mighty Wind and For Your Consideration were both likeable despite not being at all funny. Best In Show was both.

Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:40 am
Director

Funny, I like "A Mighty Wind" the best. Maybe that's because it's the driest and most deadpan of the four. :|

Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:31 am
Assistant Director

H.I. McDonough wrote:
Funny, I like "A Mighty Wind" the best. Maybe that's because it's the driest and most deadpan of the four. :|

I realize these movies rely on improvisation and further realize that the cast is particularly good at thinking quickly. In A Mighty Wind, the audience gets to see Eugene Levy make some acting choices that lead the whole 'reuniting of legendary act' strand into bittersweet/dramatic waters. It's a great performance and it's up against a folk jamboree that doubles as a cult. It was weird and unsettling, I tell you! You can see the machinery of the movie and tell that it was an acting challenge for a bunch of people working with a bunch of little ideas. Kind of like a normal movie but... I could tell I was watching a movie and watching people act. Also: not funny. Clever, sure. I like the energy of this crew and love the dedication (writing their own songs, performing them). It's all very un-self conscious.

For Your Consideration was more of the same. Enough, guys. Try something else.

Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:47 am
Critic

Mark III wrote:
H.I. McDonough wrote:

I realize these movies rely on improvisation and further realize that the cast is particularly good at thinking quickly. In A Mighty Wind, the audience gets to see Eugene Levy make some acting choices that lead the whole 'reuniting of legendary act' strand into bittersweet/dramatic waters. It's a great performance and it's up against a folk jamboree that doubles as a cult. It was weird and unsettling, I tell you! You can see the machinery of the movie and tell that it was an acting challenge for a bunch of people working with a bunch of little ideas. Kind of like a normal movie but... I could tell I was watching a movie and watching people act. Also: not funny. Clever, sure. I like the energy of this crew and love the dedication (writing their own songs, performing them). It's all very un-self conscious.

Whereas Best in Show has some hilarious moments AND fully-realized characters who I feel like I know

Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:44 pm
Assistant Director

JamesKunz wrote:
Mark III wrote:
H.I. McDonough wrote:

Whereas Best in Show has some hilarious moments AND fully-realized characters who I feel like I know

And nothing feels padded or like material accidentally went off into unplanned waters because Eugene Levy's character, the guy with two left feet, didn't become sweetly tragic, a living ghost member of a once-great musical duo. Best In Show is everything in its right place.

Plus For Your Consideration has Ricky Gervais, a man who's complete unfunniness works like a black hole and forever traps the humor of others in his unfunniness.

Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:44 am