Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:38 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
Patrick presents Patrick's Top 100 movies from 2008(#23) 
Author Message
Post Patrick presents Patrick's Top 100 movies from 2008(#23)
So seeing Sexual Chocolate's Top 100 quotes and how well that's doing, I figured I should display my own Top 100 movies...period. And since it seems that I like updating this every five years, I figured I can do one a week and when the 2008 lists end, I'll be able to show off the 2013 list. So for the first post, I'm going to unveil my very first Top 100 list I made in 2003 or 100 movies that I didn't hate at the time:

1. Fight Club
2. Terminator 2: Judgment Day
3. The Matrix
4. Memento
5. Snatch
6. Jacob’s Ladder
7. Star Wars
8. Dogma
9. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
10. The Terminator
11. Aliens
12. Alien
13. The French Connection
14. Se7en
15. Clerks.
16. Die Hard
17. The Fugitive
18. Predator
19. Evil Dead II
20. Army of Darkness
21. Forrest Gump
22. Silence of the Lambs
23. Die Hard with a Vengeance
24. Airplane!
25. The Iron Giant
26. Office Space
27. Run Lola Run
28. The Empire Strikes Back
29. Enemy of the State
30. Chasing Amy
31. Platoon
32. Highlander
33. JFK
34. Shrek
35. Return of the Jedi
36. Gladiator
37. Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery
38. Raising Arizona
39. Waterworld
40. Dark City
41. Mortal Kombat
42. Lethal Weapon
43. Batman (1989)
44. Monty Python and the Holy Grail
45. Superman
46. Godfather II
47. Mars Attacks!
48. Jurassic Park
49. Batman Returns
50. Total Recall
51. Jaws
52. The Godfather
53. The Usual Suspects
54. Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure
55. First Blood
56. Men In Black
57. Ocean’s 11 (2001)
58. Batman (1966)
59. The Untouchables
60. Unbreakable
61. Harry Potter and The Sorcerer’s Stone
62. Toy Story
63. Gremlins
64. LA Confidential
65. Signs
66. X-men
67. Spartacus
68. Batman Forever
69. Speed
70. Twins
71. The Sixth Sense
72. From Dusk ‘Til Dawn
73. True Lies
74. Nightmare on Elm Street
75. Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
76. The Omen
77. Vanilla Sky
78. Face/Off
79. Spider-Man
80. The Exorcist
81. Tron
82. Twister
83. Toy Story 2
84. The Shawshank Redemption
85. Rambo: First Blood Part 2
86. Goodfellas
87. Raiders of the Lost Ark
88. The Nightmare Before Christmas
89. Black Hawk Down
90. Evil Dead
91. Planet of the Apes (2001)
92. Halloween
93. A Clockwork Orange
94. Saving Private Ryan
95. Mallrats
96. Independence Day
97. Starship Troopers
98. Last Action Hero
99. The Bone Collector
100. The Lost Boys

Tomorrow and every Sunday thereafter, I'm going to unveil the 2008 list. Also, this is on my facebook and you can see it there, but please don't spoil the surprise for the people who aren't my friends on Facebook here.


Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:43 pm
Post Re: Patrick presents Patrick's Top 100 movies...from 2008(Intro)
Before I begin: This is going to be copied from explanations from Facebook with no changes at all...if you want to know my opinion or have questions, just ask me. And I'm going to be have three awesome moments from each movie too.


I know, how can I soil a new top 100 list already with The Marine. By all accounts of taste and good movie-making, this movie absolutely sucks but it's that very reason why it's here. It is, or should be, the poster-child for all "so-bad-it's-good" movies. Movies just don't come any unintentionally funnier than this with it's lack of logic, story-wise and explosion-wise. Yeah...this movie does stop justifying why stuff is exploding by the end of the movie. In the end, it's a movie that's filled with non-stop laughs with its illogical action, bad acting and other acts of ludicrously. It gives me hope that John Cena's next movie, 12 Rounds, is just as funny...despite Renny Harlin directing it.

Awesome Moment 1: John Cena's strategy for going around Iraqi terrorists - "We're going THROUGH!"
Awesome Moment 2: So many illogical explosions that I can hardly pick one but I'm going to go with Cena outrunning the explosion at the gas station where he has the face of a crying little girlie-man, funniest part of the movie.
Awesome Moment 3: Cena choke-slamming a guy...to death!


Attachments:
The Marine (2006).jpg
The Marine (2006).jpg [ 77.78 KiB | Viewed 5316 times ]
Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:21 pm
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:04 pm
Posts: 1807
Location: New Hampshire
Post Re: Patrick presents Patrick's Top 100 movies...from 2008(#100)
This is a cool idea.

And "We're going THROUGH!!!!" is an awesome one-liner. If I'd seen The Marine, that might have made my quotes list.

_________________
Death is pretty final
I'm collecting vinyl
I'm gonna DJ at the end of the world.


Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:45 pm
Profile
Post Re: Patrick presents Patrick's Top 100 movies...from 2008(#100)
Nifty.

I've been working on putting together a list of the top 25 queerest movies for my blog.

As for a top 100 list, I'm not sure i've seen enough so that I could really put together one. I think at this point, I would have to limit myself to 50.
-Jeremy


Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:56 pm
Post Re: Patrick presents Patrick's Top 100 movies...from 2008(#100)
Good idea. But also lazy! No need to stick to a 5 year rule, Sterg. You could have made a new 2011 list just for us. I'll still follow the unveiling of this 3 year old list and will attempt to make insightful (but mostly snarky) comments along the way.


Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:37 pm
Post Re: Patrick presents Patrick's Top 100 movies...from 2008(#100)
ed_metal_head wrote:
Good idea. But also lazy! No need to stick to a 5 year rule, Sterg. You could have made a new 2011 list just for us. I'll still follow the unveiling of this 3 year old list and will attempt to make insightful (but mostly snarky) comments along the way.


Could have....but no, I like ending one list and unveiling the next


Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:14 am
Post Re: Patrick presents Patrick's Top 100 movies...from 2008(#100)
I've been meaning to watch The Marine since I began coming to this forum to see if it was as awesomely bad as Patrick claims it is, but never had for some reason. There was a time when every second or third post from Pat contained something about The Marine. It's gotta be one of those movies where you sit around and drink with friends and laugh hysterically at the whole thing. I have to do this sometime soon.


Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:06 am
Post Re: Patrick presents Patrick's Top 100 movies...from 2008(#100)
PeachyPete wrote:
I've been meaning to watch The Marine since I began coming to this forum to see if it was as awesomely bad as Patrick claims it is, but never had for some reason. There was a time when every second or third post from Pat contained something about The Marine. It's gotta be one of those movies where you sit around and drink with friends and laugh hysterically at the whole thing. I have to do this sometime soon.

If there ever was a movie to watch at the eventual ReelViews meet-up....


Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:52 pm
Post Re: Patrick presents Patrick's Top 100 movies...from 2008(#100)
Pedro wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:
I've been meaning to watch The Marine since I began coming to this forum to see if it was as awesomely bad as Patrick claims it is, but never had for some reason. There was a time when every second or third post from Pat contained something about The Marine. It's gotta be one of those movies where you sit around and drink with friends and laugh hysterically at the whole thing. I have to do this sometime soon.

If there ever was a movie to watch at the eventual ReelViews meet-up....


...it would be Patrick vs The Zombies. That shit was tight!


Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:26 pm
Post Re: Patrick presents Patrick's Top 100 movies...from 2008(#100)
ed_metal_head wrote:
Pedro wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:
I've been meaning to watch The Marine since I began coming to this forum to see if it was as awesomely bad as Patrick claims it is, but never had for some reason. There was a time when every second or third post from Pat contained something about The Marine. It's gotta be one of those movies where you sit around and drink with friends and laugh hysterically at the whole thing. I have to do this sometime soon.

If there ever was a movie to watch at the eventual ReelViews meet-up....


...it would be Patrick vs The Zombies. That shit was tight!


If only it actually existed outside the trailer....if only....


Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:29 pm
Post Re: Patrick presents Patrick's Top 100 movies...from 2008(#100)
Finally, we're upon the first truly good movie on the list...Robocop. Part man, part cop, all awesome. Now before this, the director, Paul Verhoeven, was just an average foreign film director with his movies going to the art-house where snobs watch. After this, he became the go-to foreign guy for violence and sex and it's all thanks to this. Yes, this movie is violent but we do care about Robocop and that's what elevates this to legendary status. When Peter Weller is being gunned down, we want him to live and get revenge...as a human! But when Robocop debuts and then remembers who he was and finally gets revenge, there's almost a warm, fuzzy feeling in there as he finally wins and that is why this is on the list. But please avoid the joyless, mean-spirited and boring Robocop 2 and the the laughable, albeit laughably entertaining, Robcop 3.

Awesome Moment 1: "Excuse me, I must go. Somewhere there is a crime happening."
Awesome Moment 2: The drug-house shoot out
Awesome Moment 3: Robocop giving Clarence Boddicker his Miranda rights....while throwing him through many windows.


Attachments:
robocop.jpg
robocop.jpg [ 108.82 KiB | Viewed 5175 times ]
Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:49 am
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:04 pm
Posts: 1807
Location: New Hampshire
Post Re: Patrick presents Patrick's Top 100 movies...from 2008(#99)
I love Robocop. A long time ago, I made up a list of my 50 favorite movies, and Robocop was on it. Pretty high up, as I recall.

_________________
Death is pretty final
I'm collecting vinyl
I'm gonna DJ at the end of the world.


Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:20 pm
Profile
Post Re: Patrick presents Patrick's Top 100 movies...from 2008(#100)
Patrick wrote:
Finally, we're upon the first truly good movie on the list...Robocop. Part man, part cop, all awesome. Now before this, the director, Paul Verhoeven, was just an average foreign film director with his movies going to the art-house where snobs watch. After this, he became the go-to foreign guy for violence and sex and it's all thanks to this. Yes, this movie is violent but we do care about Robocop and that's what elevates this to legendary status. When Peter Weller is being gunned down, we want him to live and get revenge...as a human! But when Robocop debuts and then remembers who he was and finally gets revenge, there's almost a warm, fuzzy feeling in there as he finally wins and that is why this is on the list. But please avoid the joyless, mean-spirited and boring Robocop 2 and the the laughable, albeit laughably entertaining, Robcop 3.

Awesome Moment 1: "Excuse me, I must go. Somewhere there is a crime happening."
Awesome Moment 2: The drug-house shoot out
Awesome Moment 3: Robocop giving Clarence Boddicker his Miranda rights....while throwing him through many windows.


So that's...number 99? Or was The Marine part of the intro?

I haven't seen Robocop since I was 7-8 and am really due for a re-watch. I'm pleased that it's continually held in high regard as my memories are mostly good.


Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:21 am
Post Re: Patrick presents Patrick's Top 100 movies...from 2008(#100)
ed_metal_head wrote:

So that's...number 99? Or was The Marine part of the intro?


Yep, The Marine was #100, we're at #99 now and Sunday it'll be #98


Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:01 pm
Post Re: Patrick presents Patrick's Top 100 movies...from 2008(#99)
A nice breezy action-comedy. Yeah, a movie that relies on special effects, an easy-going atmosphere and likeable chemistry between Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith shouldn't really make this a list-worthy movie but why can't it. Besides, this is my list and I just put The Marine on there so nyah. This movie is just pure eye-candy blockbuster and it's one of the best. Be warned about the sequel though, it doesn't have the same likability the first one had but it's not a horrible disgrace.

Awesome Moment 1: Freeze means stop!
Awesome Moment 2: Will Smith delivering an alien baby.
Awesome Moment 3: Noisy Cricket.


Attachments:
images.jpg
images.jpg [ 9.5 KiB | Viewed 5089 times ]
Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:27 pm
Post Re: Patrick presents Patrick's Top 100 movies...from 2008(#98)
I would sooner put The Marine on my list. Men in Black is average at best. At least The Marine is great at explosions. Or, John Cena running through explosions.


Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:38 pm
Post Re: Patrick presents Patrick's Top 100 movies...from 2008(#98)
People say this is a bloated, action movie that showcases the worst of the Hollywood summer season. I say those people got it wrong. I say it's one of the best jerk-movies (a movie that regularly insults the characters, see The Mummy and The Mummy Returns). That's the what I love it, Kevin Costner insulting Jeannie Tripplehorn and that girl, throwing them off the boat, hitting them and that little girl calling his boat ugly and taking his crayons to color it. But yes, there is action in this and it's decent action but the comedy is what's memorable in this.

Awesome Moment 1: "It does look like shit...and it feels like cold shit too!"
Awesome Moment 2: The look Kevin Costner gives to Jeannie Tripplehorn when she asks if drifters stopped for each other.
Awesome Moment 3: Kevin Costner smacking the little girl because she waved at Jack Black.


Attachments:
Waterworld.jpg
Waterworld.jpg [ 78.64 KiB | Viewed 5032 times ]
Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:41 pm
Post Re: Patrick presents Patrick's Top 100 movies...from 2008(#97)
I've actually never seen Waterworld. Is it as bad as people make it out to be?


Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:05 pm
Post Re: Patrick presents Patrick's Top 100 movies...from 2008(#97)
ed_metal_head wrote:
I've actually never seen Waterworld. Is it as bad as people make it out to be?


I would say no but I'm obviously biased.


Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:11 pm
Post Re: Patrick presents Patrick's Top 100 movies...from 2008(#97)
Patrick wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:
I've actually never seen Waterworld. Is it as bad as people make it out to be?


I would say no but I'm obviously biased.


I would say no and I'm not.


Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:09 pm
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr