Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:14 pm

Inspirational Movie Quotes for a Classroom 
Post Inspirational Movie Quotes for a Classroom
Hey guys. I'm a high school teacher and the school year here is about to start in a couple of days. They made us take down all our stuff from the walls last year and as I'm "redecorating" this week I am noticing a lot of empty spaces up there. I'm thinking about putting some movie quotes that might "inspire" these kids to get to some work done. I know...I'm reaching here, but I also don't want all those empty spaces on the walls.

So look, this does not have to be a serious thread either. I want some laughs, as well.

Some examples I'm thinking about...

"I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me." Frank Costello

or...

"If my answers frighten you then you should cease asking scary questions." Jules Winfield

What you guys got?

Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:58 pm
Post Re: Inspirational Movie Quotes for a Classroom
"The things you own end up owning you," Tyler Durden

"Some people just want to see the world burn," Alfred

"DOES HE LOOK LIKE A B*****?" Jules Winnfield

"The horror, the horror!" Colonel Kurtz

Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:30 am
"In a job like yours, even when it’s finished there’s always one more thing to do.”
from Bridge on the River Kwai

“He gets down to the end of his life and he looks back and decides that all those years he suffered, those were the best years of his life. Because they made him who he was. All those years he was happy, you know, total waste. He didn’t learn a thing.”
from Little Miss Sunshine

“I'm going to give you a piece of advice. Don't ask for something if it's a burden to you if you get it.”
from Hoffa

There are quite a few more here:
http://www.reellifewisdom.com/

Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:28 pm
Director

(None from Dangerous Minds)

Maybe I finally found it, way down here in the mud. Maybe from down here I can start up again, be something I can be proud of, without having to fake it, be a fake human being.-From Platoon

But be that as it may, those of us, who did make it have an obligation to build again. To teach to others what we know, and to try with whats left of our lives to find a goodness and a meaning to this life.-Also From Platoon

All my life needed was a sense of someplace to go. I don't believe that one should devote his life to morbid self-attention. I believe that someone should become a person like other people.-From Taxi Driver

The other day, I cried. But you know what? Fuck that day. That's why God, or whoever, makes other days-From Precious

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:17 am
Wait a second, bro, don't you teach Math? How does that work? Do you teach all your classes in the same room?

mailedbypostman wrote:

I love this one and would include it myself. It's not inspirational or funny but it's a decent lesson about consumerism for young people. Are these quotes going to be vetted by someone in charge? If so, it might makes sense to get an okay first. Fight Club ends with buildings being blown up. The quote is great, but if a kid ends up behaving "anti-socially" they might be quick to (wrongly) blame you.

Anyway, I'm not sure about length or content, but I'll offer some. It's up to you to decide suitability:

Quote:
We're all faced throughout our lives with agonizing decisions, moral choices. Some are on a grand scale, most of these choices are on lesser points. But we define ourselves by the choices we have made. We are, in fact, the sum total of our choices. Events unfold so unpredictably, so unfairly, Human happiness does not seem to be included in the design of creation. It is only we, with our capacity to love that give meaning to the indifferent universe. And yet, most human beings seem to have the ability to keep trying and even try to find joy from simple things, like their family, their work, and from the hope that future generations might understand more. -- Crimes and Misdemeanors

^ lengthy, but you could choose one or two sentences and it would still work.

Quote:
How tragic that man can never realize how beautiful life is until he is face to face with death. -- Ikiru

Quote:
Love is as contagious as a cold. It eats away at your strength, morale... If everything is imperfect in this world, love is perfect in its imperfection. -- The Seventh Seal

Quote:
A heart is not judged by how much you love; but by how much you are loved by others. -- The Wizard of Oz

And, odd ones from Monty Python:

Quote:
It's not a question of where he grips it! It's a simple question of weight ratios! A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.

Quote:
In order to maintain air-speed velocity, a swallow needs to beat its wings forty-three times every second, right?

Quote:
King Arthur: One, two, five!
Sir Galahad: Three sir!
King Arthur: THREE!

Quote:
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Yoda quotes:

Quote:
A Jedi must have the deepest commitment, the most serious mind.

Quote:
Remember, a Jedi's strength flows from the Force. But beware. Anger, fear, aggression. The dark side are they. Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.

Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:42 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
mailedbypostman wrote:

I love this one and would include it myself. It's not inspirational or funny but it's a decent lesson about consumerism for young people. Are these quotes going to be vetted by someone in charge? If so, it might makes sense to get an okay first. Fight Club ends with buildings being blown up. The quote is great, but if a kid ends up behaving "anti-socially" they might be quick to (wrongly) blame you.

My second semester English teacher split us into groups to read different books my junior year and Fight Club was one of them. If I was a teacher using a quote from it though I might use something more along the lines of...

Quote:
"You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world."

;)

Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:41 pm
"I object to Intellect without discipline. I object to power without constructive purpose." - Spock

"Sometimes you eat the bear and... well, sometimes, it eats you." - The Stranger

Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:31 am
Why dont you use something more realistic for todays world?

"OMG -pink?? what s Paris Hilton thinking!"

Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:56 pm
Allow me to blast out a few from Repo Man

"The more you drive, the less intelligent you are." - Miller

"Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness." - Miller

Duke: "The lights are growing dim Otto. I know a life of crime has led me to this sorry fate, and yet, I blame society. Society made me what I am."
Otto: "That's bullshit. You're a white suburban punk just like me."
Duke: "Yeah, but it still hurts."

"Put your seatbelt on, boy. I don't ride with anybody 'less they wear their seatbelt. It's one of my rules." - Lite

"There's fuckin' room to move as a fry cook. I could be manager in two years! King. God." -Kevin

"People get so hung up on specifics, they miss out on seeing the whole thing." - Miller

Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:43 pm