Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:38 pm

JAMES 
Post JAMES
This forum needs you at the moment. Badly. Just saying.

Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:53 pm
Producer

Post Re: JAMES
???? Is there something going on that I'm not aware of. Don't get me wrong, anything that JB puts is always welcome and I like reading anything he puts on this site whether it's the forums or not.

BTW, I've got a question for him. I just read your tweet about Warrior. Very exciting. But do we have to wait a month for when the movie opens to read the review, or will you put up early? 8-)

Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:44 pm
ilovemovies wrote:
???? Is there something going on that I'm not aware of.

You're not aware of the massive amounts of spam going on? Seriously?

Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:48 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:
This forum needs you at the moment. Badly. Just saying.

Yup. I'm assuming real-life needs him a bit more at the moment. However, if he was to find a bit of free time we could use some behind the scenes housekeeping ASAP. The forum is drowning in Spam and the moderators just cannot keep up (thanks for the effort guys. Please keep at it until the volume becomes manageable).

Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:44 pm
Deleted and IP banned several more mugs this morning. If I ever find he guy who's behind the 'robertjschoolcraft' profiles, I will kill them. No pleas, no pictures of the wife and daughter. Just blood and screaming.

Thank you.

Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:01 am
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Deleted and IP banned several more mugs this morning. If I ever find he guy who's behind the 'robertjschoolcraft' profiles, I will kill them. No pleas, no pictures of the wife and daughter. Just blood and screaming.

Thank you.

Can I watch?

Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:41 pm
James, will you see The Help and post a review in the coming weeks? :)

Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:08 pm
I'm bumping this in the hopes that James will see it when he logs on to post his review of 30 Minutes or Less. The spam is really getting out of hand. Spam is an unfortunate reality of e-life, but something has to be done about this incredibly annoying amount.

Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:29 pm
Site Admin

PeachyPete wrote:
I'm bumping this in the hopes that James will see it when he logs on to post his review of 30 Minutes or Less. The spam is really getting out of hand. Spam is an unfortunate reality of e-life, but something has to be done about this incredibly annoying amount.

That's when I saw it.

I have now established a process by which all new forum registers have to be approved by me, and I will scrutinize every application. This will not impact existing accounts but all of the Spam comes from people establishing a new account, dumping their pointless posts, then running.

The downside to this is that it will slow down the process of getting legitimate new blood into the forums, but this will hopefully be the lesser of two evils. We'll see.

Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:10 pm
Profile WWW
James Berardinelli wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:

That's when I saw it.

I have now established a process by which all new forum registers have to be approved by me, and I will scrutinize every application. This will not impact existing accounts but all of the Spam comes from people establishing a new account, dumping their pointless posts, then running.

The downside to this is that it will slow down the process of getting legitimate new blood into the forums, but this will hopefully be the lesser of two evils. We'll see.

Have you seen my PM? I'm not sure what CAPTCHA the forum uses, but most of the image ones have been compromised. A switch to the Q&A CAPTCHA, if possible, should greatly alleviate the situation.

Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:14 pm
Site Admin

ed_metal_head wrote:

Have you seen my PM? I'm not sure what CAPTCHA the forum uses, but most of the image ones have been compromised. A switch to the Q&A CAPTCHA, if possible, should greatly alleviate the situation.

No Q&A CAPTCHA, but I did make the image on a little harder to decode.

Meanwhile, I have already stopped a couple of questionable registrations and sent them e-mails requiring a response with two very simple questions.

HINT: To pass through the registration process without the intermediate e-mail, try a user name that sounds legit and use an e-mail address that seems like more than a bunch of cobbled-together letters.

Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:30 pm
Profile WWW