Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:53 am

More Spam, anyone? 
Post More Spam, anyone?
It seems to me that there is more spam in these forums lately. I'm wondering if perhaps an automatic spam deleter could be put in to keep our beloved forums from being polluted like it has been over the past 2 weeks or so...?

Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:17 pm
Post Re: More Spam, anyone?
Ragnarok73 wrote:
It seems to me that there is more spam in these forums lately. I'm wondering if perhaps an automatic spam deleter could be put in to keep our beloved forums from being polluted like it has been over the past 2 weeks or so...?

Yeah, I've noticed the upsurge in spam as well and it seems that all of the forum's efforts to stem this tide actually open the floodgates for more of it. Pretty fucking aggravating and annoying! :evil: :evil:

Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:00 pm
Please contact the forum's sole administrator via PM and complain. I noticed a serious increase in spam more than a week ago and made a point to PM James with links to possible countermeasures. He never replied and I have not seen any change in the volume of spam (if anything it's gotten worse).

I don't know about you all, but I'll say it again. The spam is so annoying that when I see the forum in this state I barely feel to post at all. Most of the time I head straight out. I imagine a few people feel the same since discussion has all but dried up. I'm not sure if this is an exaggeration or not but I firmly believe that if this spam situation isn't handled soon it will be the death of the forum.

So, again: please PM James to complain. We know he's very busy but handling the problem will be to his benefit, after all.

Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:14 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
I don't know about you all, but I'll say it again. The spam is so annoying that when I see the forum in this state I barely feel to post at all. Most of the time I head straight out. I imagine a few people feel the same since discussion has all but dried up.

Yes. I feel the same way.

Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:26 pm
Over at Freak Safari, I've instructed the moderators to Google the IPs and/or email addresses of new users with suspicious names--random combinations of words, letters and numbers, for example. There are sites that keep lists of known spammers, and those sites will pop up in the Google results if the suspected spammer in question has been caught before.

I don't know if that would help here, given that I don't know how things are run behind the scenes. I figured I'd bring it up, as someone who has had his own frustrations with spam accounts.

Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:48 pm
The phpBB forums recommend switching to the Q&A CAPTCHA with a difficult "question" (most of the visual CAPTCHAs have been broken and are now easily bypassed. I strongly suspect this is happening here). So, instead of typing in the random letters on screen it asks a question like "What is 2+2?". The user would have to enter "4". That example is easily defeated because it's simple for a spambot, but in a niche forum like this one I'm sure the question can be changed to something movie-centric. Here's the meat of the PM I sent in case anyone is interested:

Quote:
* If the forum is on phpBB 3.0.5 or lower then I strongly urge you to upgrade to the latest version. Anti-spam measures have significantly improved since then. Nevertheless, here is a link for anti-spam measures for version 3.0.5 and lower:
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=1437125

* If the forum is on phpBB 3.0.6 or above then please consider some of the advice presented here:
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... #p12961708

The strongest recommendation is to move to the Q&A CAPTCHA with a good Question as the "Q".

Another option is to install some mods. One of the posts on the phpBB forums claims that using the Q&A CAPTCHA in conjunction with the "phpBB spam hammer" mod (http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=2122138) eliminates 99% of all spam. I would give it serious consideration.

Not to sound like a broken record, but please PM James to fully make him aware of the extent of the problem. At least until he requests otherwise.

Ken wrote:
Over at Freak Safari, I've instructed the moderators to Google the IPs and/or email addresses of new users with suspicious names--random combinations of words, letters and numbers, for example. There are sites that keep lists of known spammers, and those sites will pop up in the Google results if the suspected spammer in question has been caught before.

I don't know if that would help here, given that I don't know how things are run behind the scenes. I figured I'd bring it up, as someone who has had his own frustrations with spam accounts.

Holy shit dude, you really did lose everything. I was thinking there might be a way to get your forum restored to some earlier date. Are the regulars all coming back?

Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:32 pm
I posted about this in the Mod forum and PMed James already. No response as of yet. For now, I'll just do the mass deletions I've been doing lately, but it's getting pointless when the spammers only seem concentrate even harder on subsequent efforts. They're being especially vicious lately, and especially about the electronic cigarette promos.

Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:11 pm
Alright, the crud is gone. Here's hoping James ups Mod power or makes it more of a challenge to sign up to this site. That last wave was ridiculously deep.

Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:35 pm
Director

One idea to contemplate although it probably wouldn't work since the spam bots doubtlessly use a computer and/or modem that issues a different IP address each time, is to IP Ban the spam posters. They come in and spam, they get blocked from the site permanently. That simple. Of course the idea probably isn't workable. But it's a good thought.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:01 am
ed_metal_head wrote:
Holy shit dude, you really did lose everything. I was thinking there might be a way to get your forum restored to some earlier date. Are the regulars all coming back?
Some of our regulars have returned. We may have to go back to recruiting though, like in the old days.

On that note, there's a pretty good crowd here...

The bad news is that the company was cutting corners by storing backups in the same location as the originals, which (I know I'm not imagining this) is completely fucking pointless. This isn't the first time they've done unprofessional shit, either. The site owner is considering his options.

The good news is that we rescued archives of some our best threads. We're trying to figure out the best way to preserve them on the site, perhaps in the form of a Wiki.

Once this mess is finally stable, then I can direct my thoughts to bringing back my own crap.

Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:55 am
Jeff Wilder wrote:
One idea to contemplate although it probably wouldn't work since the spam bots doubtlessly use a computer and/or modem that issues a different IP address each time, is to IP Ban the spam posters. They come in and spam, they get blocked from the site permanently. That simple. Of course the idea probably isn't workable. But it's a good thought.

I ban IP addresses...I don't know about the others.

Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:23 am
Blonde Almond wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:
I don't know about you all, but I'll say it again. The spam is so annoying that when I see the forum in this state I barely feel to post at all. Most of the time I head straight out. I imagine a few people feel the same since discussion has all but dried up.

Yes. I feel the same way.

I'll third this.

It's annoying beyond belief. Get the fucking spammers out, so we can get fucking in!

Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:38 pm
The scary thing? Look at the number of registered members celebrating a birthday every day. It's swelled to three lines. More than half of them are spambots. And most haven't posted yet. They're...waiting.

Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:25 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
The scary thing? Look at the number of registered members celebrating a birthday every day. It's swelled to three lines. More than half of them are spambots. And most haven't posted yet. They're...waiting.

Drums...drums in the deep.

Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:14 am
"Where there is great love, there are always wishes."

This has to be the spammiest thread title yet. It could only be spammier if it made a reference to WoW gold or Ugg Boots.

Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:23 pm
Director

Spam spam glorious spam lovely spam wonderful spam.

But I don't want ANY spam!

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:18 pm
Anyone know where i can buy wang enlargement tablets?

Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:05 am
eXterminus wrote:
Anyone know where i can buy wang enlargement tablets?

Try any review thread that has otherwise been buried for months.

I think they can help you out with discounts on brand name sportswear, too.

Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:53 am
Heh, in a burst of funny timing im in the process of replacing my sports equipment.

Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:49 am