Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:13 pm

SUPER 8 
Assistant Second Unit Director

Post Re: SUPER 8
Unreal. This plagiarist is a frequent reviewer over on hollywoodbitchslap.com, which itself had to square off with a plagiarist copying stuff from THEIR site a few years ago.

Sure, enough, the same guy has copied the JB-"inspired" review over there as his own.

http://www.hollywoodbitchslap.com/revie ... viewer=426

Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:43 pm

http://www.hollywoodbitchslap.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18058

One down.

Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:58 am
Site Admin

Baelzar wrote:
KRoss wrote:
Whoa, did anyone see JB's latest Twitter update? This person plagarized him BIG TIME in this review. http://www.listal.com/viewentry/1158475
I made a Comment on the review that he should at the very least attribute JB, but the comment was deleted.

So I started a thread in the forums (the "Listal Feedback" forum http://www.listal.com/forum/listal , thread titled "Plagiarized movie review") and we'll see how long that lasts.

What's ridiculous is how the contributor tried to change a few words and phrases here and there to disguise it. Go over there and holler at them.

When it comes to plagiarism, I have to pick my battles. To me, this appears to be someone who's simply too lazy to write his own review. When there's money involved, that's when I tend to start firing off e-mails and demanding credit and/or retraction, but that doesn't seem to be the case in this instance. It's amazing how much plagiarism goes on on-line, and I still regularly get e-mails from teachers about failing students because they copied one review of mine or another.

True story: A few years ago, a teacher failed a kid for copying one of my reviews. His parents, enraged, sent me an e-mail demanding that I prove my review pre-dated their son's paper. The logic of how I would get a copy of their son's paper for publication on my site, or why I would do that in the first place, escaped them. The school's principal held a hearing and asked that I provide proof that the review was in fact mine. I sent him a copy of the original file with the Word time/date stamp. Needless to say, I was vindicated, but I found it mind-boggling that so much effort was needed in the first place.

Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:01 pm
Profile WWW

Had it been one obscure review site, I'd have stayed on the sidelines, but this guy is like a plague. eFilmCritic.com, HollywoodBitchslap.com, Flixter.com, thecriticalcritics.com, moviefilmreview.com - these are just the ones I've found. I assume these sites make some money from ad revenue.

If you want me to lay off him, I will, absolutely.

Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:10 pm
Director

A few years ago when I was posting regularly on Epinions, I came across a review of The Substitute (the 1996 movie with Tom Berenger) that had part of it lifted from JB's review. I posted a comment on it explaining that part of the review had been stolen. Since very few had read the review and since the subsequent low ratings made it difficult for people who were not members of the site to see the review (financial compensation at Epinions was and is determined by non-member hits to the reviews) that kept the review from getting widely noticed.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:35 pm

The guy has no shame - it's even posted on Rotten Tomatoes via Flixter.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:wPrXAjTiES0J:www.rottentomatoes.com/m/super_8/audience_reviews%3F%26page%3D9+Since+mid-2010,+an+aura+of+mystery+has+shrouded+J.J.+Abrams%27+%22Super+8%22+like+a+dense+fog.&cd=8&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a&source=www.google.com

Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:52 pm
I also left a couple of comments calling him out on the whole plagiarism issue. They were both deleted and he blocked me from making any further comments. I reported the review as been plagiarized from Reelviews, and an administrator replied asking for a link to the original review, which I provided. As of yet, the review hasn't been deleted and I haven't heard anything further.

What amuses me is the disclaimer PvtCaboose91 has posted on his profile:
"My reviews cannot be copied or reposted in whole or part without my express permission!"
That got a chuckle out of me. :lol:

Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:02 pm
Site Admin

Baelzar wrote:
Had it been one obscure review site, I'd have stayed on the sidelines, but this guy is like a plague. eFilmCritic.com, HollywoodBitchslap.com, Flixter.com, thecriticalcritics.com, moviefilmreview.com - these are just the ones I've found. I assume these sites make some money from ad revenue.

If you want me to lay off him, I will, absolutely.

No - have at him by all means!

Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:49 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Artmonkey wrote:
I also left a couple of comments calling him out on the whole plagiarism issue. They were both deleted and he blocked me from making any further comments. I reported the review as been plagiarized from Reelviews, and an administrator replied asking for a link to the original review, which I provided. As of yet, the review hasn't been deleted and I haven't heard anything further.

What amuses me is the disclaimer PvtCaboose91 has posted on his profile:
"My reviews cannot be copied or reposted in whole or part without my express permission!"
That got a chuckle out of me. :lol:

Next step: he'll claim I plagiarized him.

Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:50 pm
Profile WWW
http://www.listal.com/viewentry/1158475

It took a while, but the review has been deleted. :D

Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:30 pm

I'm stunned; the website owner's position on plagiarism made me think he'd never recognize it.

Only 900+ more reviews to go...

Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:03 pm
the review is also at http://www.moviefilmreview.com/6486/mov ... per-8-2011

and looks like the guy actually re-posted the review on listal so now he's defying the admins apparently, lol

Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:06 am
Jesus, this guy's like a cockroach.

Listal also deleted a "Jewel of the Nile" review he plagiarized from IGN, but he went ahead and re-posted it again today. Persistent little shit, isn't he?

Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:20 pm
^ Gents, I'd like to congratulate you all on the wonderful job of community policing you've done so far. I've started following the updates in this thread and have been checking out the Listal Plagiarism thread linked to in the Open forum. At this point I'd like to offer some more ammunition:

I decided to read a review at random and chose Black Hawk Down. Immediately something sounded suspect:

http://www.listal.com/viewentry/1194861:
Quote:
Once released in 1998, Steven Spielberg's Saving Private Ryan ushered in a new type of war film for the mainstream market. The days of war movies containing sanitary, romanticised imagery of the battlefield had come to an end, and in their place were visceral, gritty war pictures conveying the true realities of wartime horror in an unflinching fashion. Although a big-budget Hollywood production created by a popcorn movie peddlers, 2001's Black Hawk Down abides by the Saving Private Ryan approach; offering an indelibly powerful look at the realities of modern warfare.

http://www.reelviews.net/movies/b/black_hawk.html:
James 'Copy Me!' Berardinelli wrote:
1998's Saving Private Ryan introduced a new era of war movies. Gone are the bloodless tales of gallantry which portrayed the battlefield as a place where the fruits of bravery are victory. Replacing them are stories steeped in the gritty reality of combat - violent, bloody, horrific, and chaotic. Images of severed arms, fountaining blood, and spilled intestines have replaced the sterile, romanticized images of so many black-and-white war movies. For those who are not easily sickened by such visceral, cinematic assaults, films like Black Hawk Down can deliver a powerful, indelible impact.

Clearly James Berardinelli has copied his Saving Private Ryan review from someone called PvtCaboose91. This throws the whole Reelviews into disrepute and I will now contact the Movie Critic Copyright council and ask that James is de-listed from Rotten Tomatoes, an outlet that has the power to influence a movie's opening weekend by over 20 million dollars.

In all seriousness, someone sign that guy up for the James B. fan club. We have evidence that he's plagiarised at least two of James' reviews. The guy has over 900 reviews posted at Listal. Clearly if someone had the time to go through them all they'd find a lot more evidence. Supposedly he's also copied from IGN. I'm not sure what more those sites need to delete this guy's profile entirely.

Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:41 pm
Just caught up with Super 8 yesterday (was only released in the UK on Friday).

My feelings concur with The King's post a couple of pages back. The first half was suspenseful and exciting and building up to a satisfying pay-off. Unfortunately that never came.

A thought: Does anyone think Super 8 should have been set in the present day? Does it benefit from the period setting? I'm not so sure.

Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:41 am
Director

Alex wrote:
A thought: Does anyone think Super 8 should have been set in the present day? Does it benefit from the period setting? I'm not so sure.

If it was set in the present day it would have to be called DV or Mini-DV.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:36 am