Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:59 am

Wow! What the hell happened?! 
Site Admin

Post Re: Wow! What the hell happened?!
This site was quiet last night because I was tweeting and the responses were showing up there. I can't be in two places at one time and tweeting opened things up to a wider audience. I still have scars from a few years ago when an overflow to these forums caused them to crash.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:17 am
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

I'm not saying James did this, but I did: If you wanted to know who was going to win last week, you could have looked up the Vegas Odds on all the nominees. Every single winner was who vegas predicted, as every winner had very low payouts. (For instance Matt Mccon. had 1/5 meaning you bet $100 to win $20...the rest of the nominees were something like bet $20 to win $100 or more).

I didn't join the contest because it was pointless going up against someone who already picked perfectly.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:53 am
Second Unit Director

Also, I'm glad Matthew Mcconaughey won, and his speech did not disappoint. Those 3 minutes were about the only thing I was looking forward to: Elegant, gracious, funny, and a little weird all wrapped up into one.

Finally, I didn't know if he would appease his fans or not, but when he let out those famous words that launched his career, the smile on my face could have lit up the room:

"All right...All right...All right!"

Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:45 am
Second Unit Director

James Berardinelli wrote:
Syd Henderson wrote:
He really needs to vote on the short film awards. I went 0-3 this year (and missed documentary, too.)

I'm falling in love with Lupita Nyong'o.

The reason I don't vote on the shorts is because they're complete shots in the dark. I haven't seen anything and there's no buzz to feed off of. Seems rather pointless, like rolling a five-sided die. However, I'm thinking of including them as "extra credit" next year. I still won't vote on them but contestants can do so. For each one they get right, it's an extra point. That theoretically means that I could go perfect and still lose which wasn't the case this year.

If I did that, my ballot would remain hidden until after the contest was locked to avoid people copying my ballot then taking guesses at the shorts.

Meh. I for one think you should enjoy being 100% correct, James. Unless you really want people to force you to review stuff, I think it's cool that there was no winner.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:22 pm
Gaffer

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
I'm not saying James did this, but I did: If you wanted to know who was going to win last week, you could have looked up the Vegas Odds on all the nominees. Every single winner was who vegas predicted, as every winner had very low payouts. (For instance Matt Mccon. had 1/5 meaning you bet $100 to win $20...the rest of the nominees were something like bet $20 to win $100 or more).

That's exactly what I did but got 2-3 wrong. When I looked Chiwetel Ejiofor was the favorite.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:46 pm
Director

Ken wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:
Are the Oscars relevant?

I think it's nice when good movies get the attention that they might otherwise not have gotten.

Other than that, I have no personal use for a 17 hour telecast of rich people circle-jerking each other and camera operators leering at women in dresses. I'm not sure see how it's relevant to anyone. It's a gussied-up, socially acceptable version of MTV's celebrity-obsessed reality TV.

Amen, but is it just me or did the guise used to be so much more convincing? In 2003, the show was glamorous and exciting with Billy Crystal as host, and a great amount of effort put into his schtick and into dressing the whole thing up. Outside the walls of Minas Tirith, Crystal says to Nicholson, "I'm nervous Jack, what if they don't laugh at my jokes?" to which Jack replies "Just light em up, Bill." That's fun, and memorable. Now, no such attempt is made at good, professional fun. Instead they just order a pizza and tweet a snapshot? Why do they go so far out of their way to be mundane?

Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:57 pm
Producer

I think it's Ellen. Last time she hosted she started vacuuming the carpet. I find it amusing, but it's because the other hosts don't do things like that.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:22 pm
Director

With all the mention of Kim Novak's transformation into the Joker, what about John Travolta's gradual transformation into an East Asian person? :? BTW, his epic fuck-up of reading Idina Menzel's name was the low point of the night. :P

Ellen was her usual soft, cutesy, genial self. But, yeah, the ceremony is becoming more and more akin to eating at Perkins with each passing year. :|

Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:25 pm
Director

H.I. McDonough wrote:
With all the mention of Kim Novak's transformation into the Joker, what about John Travolta's gradual transformation into an East Asian person? :? BTW, his epic fuck-up of reading Idina Menzel's name was the low point of the night. :P

Ellen was her usual soft, cutesy, genial self. But, yeah, the ceremony is becoming more and more akin to eating at Perkins with each passing year. :|

Yeah, the Menzel mispronunciation is worth lambasting. And I agree about the Perkins analogy. Although this year it was more like eating at Big Mama and Papas pizza.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:29 pm
Auteur

MGamesCook wrote:
H.I. McDonough wrote:

Yeah, the Menzel mispronunciation is worth lambasting. And I agree about the Perkins analogy. Although this year it was more like eating at Big Mama and Papas pizza.

I enjoy eating at those places, but the Oscars have indeed become less interesting. I really wish Eddie Murphy had hosted, at least he would've added some life to the proceedings, but of course Brett Ratner had to screw that up by making some stupid sexual comments.

Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:05 am
Director

Macfarlane was good, but I doubt they'll take a chance on someone like that again.

Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:34 am
Producer

I'll do it, for all my expenses including booze.

Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:16 am
Producer

I'd host the Oscars, except I am a low-class goon from a dying industrial center who swears uncontrollably, especially when I'm trying my hardest not to.

I'd love to see Conan have a shot at it, but the reality is that Conan is too spontaneous, and too weird, frankly. The Oscars need somebody safe, somebody bland. They're not supposed to make you belly-laugh. They're supposed to make you smirk once in a while, and otherwise forget their existence.

Really, they need Jay Leno. And I loathe Jay Leno.

Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:08 am
Second Unit Director

Ken wrote:
I'd host the Oscars, except I am a low-class goon from a dying industrial center who swears uncontrollably, especially when I'm trying my hardest not to.

I'd love to see Conan have a shot at it, but the reality is that Conan is too spontaneous, and too weird, frankly. The Oscars need somebody safe, somebody bland. They're not supposed to make you belly-laugh. They're supposed to make you smirk once in a while, and otherwise forget their existence.

The ultimate dream was what you mentioned last year: Louis CK.

I know it is never going to happen EVER!

But that is not going to keep me from dreaming. SIGH!

Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:14 am
Profile WWW
Auteur

Ken wrote:

I love Jay Leno and I was truly sad to see him leave the Tonight Show and be replaced by the likes of Jimmy Fallon(who I don't hate, but he is in no way the right host for the show), so seeing him host the Oscars would definitely be a highlight.

Don't particularly care for Conan much myself, so I won't lose any sleep if he dosen't host.

Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:21 am
Director

For anyone who want to Travoltify their names. Mine becomes Phoebe Warshington, which amazingly still retains a whiff of my original name more than Menzel's does.

Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:57 am
Producer

I was wondering about that. Usually if someone mispronounces a name, you can still understand how he got there from the original. This didn't even resemble the original name, so I'm wondering if he or his prompter confused her with someone else.

Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:05 pm
Director

An interesting tidbit: Columbia(/Sony) currently has the longest Best Picture winner drought of all the major Hollywood studios. It hasn't won since "The Last Emperor" in '87 (and they no longer even hold the rights to that film :? )... though it's still got a bit to go before reaching the 37-year drought Fox had between "The French Connection" and "Slumdog Millionaire." :|

Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:45 pm