Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:19 pm

Wow! What the hell happened?! 
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Wow! What the hell happened?!
Vexer wrote:
What about the estimated time of the announcement of Best Picture? Was anyone's time closer then JB's?(didn't watch the ceremony so I don't know myself, to be honest I didn't even know the Oscars were on today, that's how little interest I have in them).

Also Ram last posted a few days ago.

I was two minutes off, but I'm pretty sure I lost.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:53 am
Director

Mark III wrote:
You don't have to defend yourself to me, I'm just some guy. It's a foregone conclusion what he'd say about Movie 43 (and I'll grant that one kid that a well-regarded classic will produce the same) but maybe not what he'd say about, just throwing it out there, A Serbian Film. Doesn't really matter, anyone is free to pick anything they want. Even a home movie they made. That'd be something.

Gotcha. Thanks. I never saw a Serbian Film, but I read the wikipedia plot description. That was more than enough for me. Maybe The Human Centipede fits into that category as well.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:58 am
Assistant Director

Quote:
(didn't watch the ceremony so I don't know myself, to be honest I didn't even know the Oscars were on today, that's how little interest I have in them).

Or how little attention you pay to the news -- it wasn't buried on obscure websites or relegated to the last page of the Times.

Reminds me of people who claim they know nothing at all of sports or movies or whatever else is below them in an effort to sound like their concerns aren't troubled with such lowbrow bullshit. Not that Vexer would take this position. Just reminded me. Take what I'm saying in this thread with an apology as I'm in a pretty bad mood.

Quote:
Gotcha. Thanks. I never saw a Serbian Film, but I read the wikipedia plot description. That was more than enough for me. Maybe The Human Centipede fits into that category as well.

The Human Centipede is easier to dismiss, maybe. Cut from similar cloth.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:04 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
What about the estimated time of the announcement of Best Picture? Was anyone's time closer then JB's?(didn't watch the ceremony so I don't know myself, to be honest I didn't even know the Oscars were on today, that's how little interest I have in them).

Best Picture was announced at 11:56. I guessed 11:56 :). At least, that's the time I saw when it was announced. James got a perfect score so oh well. =/

Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:04 am
Auteur

Convictions wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Best Picture was announced at 11:56. I guessed 11:56 :). At least, that's the time I saw when it was announced. James got a perfect score so oh well. =/

I just noticed that JB didn't post a guess for the time of the announcement. Sosince he got a perfect score, maybe the person who was closest to the correct time(which in this case is you) can pick a film for him to review?

Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:11 am

Mark III wrote:
KWRoss wrote:
Mark III wrote:
"The winners list looks about as expected," said everyone, including me. Based on a few posts above, I'd rather JB save a few bucks and/or time rather than review something predictably terrible. Passion of Joan of Arc is still the best choice he got from a winner. Too bad ram1312 is dead. I'm guessing.

For the record, I already picked a universally regarded good movie in 12 ANGRY MEN. Just thought I'd switch things up if I won again.

You don't have to defend yourself to me, I'm just some guy. It's a foregone conclusion what he'd say about Movie 43 (and I'll grant that one kid that a well-regarded classic will produce the same) but maybe not what he'd say about, just throwing it out there, A Serbian Film. Doesn't really matter, anyone is free to pick anything they want. Even a home movie they made. That'd be something.

I understand what you're saying, and just so you know, my other choice would have been Grave of the Fireflies. A Serbian Film scarred me and probably would have been a good choice too. =) I feel like I would have a much better time reading a review in which James tears a movie apart, but that's just me.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:13 am

Vexer wrote:
Convictions wrote:
Vexer wrote:

I just noticed that JB didn't post a guess for the time of the announcement. Sosince he got a perfect score, maybe the person who was closest to the correct time(which in this case is you) can pick a film for him to review?

I wish, but he said that if he got a perfect score no one wins. :cry:. I got one wrong anyways though. )=

Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:14 am
Director

Every year without fail, the Oscar night falls on my midterm exam's first day, so I got the ceremony filtered through twitter without having to go through the length.

Predictable, sure, but apart from Dallas Buyer's Club wins and 20 Feet from Stardom, the nice kind of predictable for a change. Happy with Her screenplay's and Lupita Nyong'o's wins.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:30 am
Director

peng wrote:
Every year without fail, the Oscar night falls on my midterm exam's first day, so I got the ceremony filtered through twitter without having to go through the length.

Predictable, sure, but apart from Dallas Buyer's Club wins and 20 Feet from Stardom, the nice kind of predictable for a change. Happy with Her screenplay's and Lupita Nyong'o's wins.

Were you really gratified and excited by that though? This show was so boring, I would have yawned had Hitchcock himself jumped out of the ground onto the stage. There were almost no celebrities present apart from the winners. It was winners congratulating themselves while eating pizza. It felt like an empty house at a rundown night club.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:48 am
Director

Well, my Oscar experience is enhanced by not having to watch the actual thing, as I said earlier, and being filtered through some choice snarks, jokes, and a few insights on twitter makes it reasonably enjoyable. 3 hours reduced to half an hour.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:04 am
Director

Oh, well, I guess that's different.

Highlight of the actual show:

Ellen's stunt crashed twitter. Most of the young people who crashed twitter likely have no clue who Kim Novak is.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:20 am
Director

So many jokes about Kim Novak presenting a movie called "Frozen" I will search for the clip at some points, along with some other interesting highlights I gleaned from reading the twitter reactions, like the Nyong'o's and Blanchett's speeches, Bill Murray's tribute to Harold Ramis, etc.

I cheered for DiCaprio quite a bit, but still lol'ed hard at this gif. Liked this a lot too.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:30 am
Director

peng wrote:
So many jokes about Kim Novak presenting a movie called "Frozen" I will search for the clip at some points, along with some other interesting highlights I gleaned from reading the twitter reactions, like the Nyong'o's and Blanchett's speeches, Bill Murray's tribute to Harold Ramis, etc.

I cheered for DiCaprio quite a bit, but still lol'ed hard at this gif. Liked this a lot too.

Haha, okay, the Leo one is pretty funny. The Spacey one is lame, whoever did that just got tens of millions of views using about as much creativity as a dog deciding which tree to piss under.

Quote:
So many jokes about Kim Novak presenting a movie called "Frozen"

Funny, because that's exactly the kind of tactless fetishizing Hitchcock was trying to criticize by making Vertigo. I see his message really came through. But she's old, and a woman, so let's make fun of her. Given all the celebrity deaths recently, some from sheer old age, I found her appearance kind of moving, and the night's one pleasant surprise.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:40 am
Director

I don't know nor care about the ten million others; I just liked it. And yeah the jokes are pretty mean, now that I see her pic (although I see a still one not from tonight), which doesn't deserve that much level of ridicule. I wonder though, isn't this supposed to be expensive? Why can't the doctor make something long lasting. Not only female too; I saw a dig, admittedly more in good humor, at Travolta's hairline at some points. What did he present?

Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:24 am
Director

peng wrote:
I don't know nor care about the ten million others; I just liked it. And yeah the jokes are pretty mean, now that I see her pic (although I see a still one not from tonight), which doesn't deserve that much level of ridicule. I wonder though, isn't this supposed to be expensive? Why can't the doctor make something long lasting. Not only female too; I saw a dig, admittedly more in good humor, at Travolta's hairline at some points. What did he present?

A good plastic surgeon can make you look really good, but they can't change the fact that you're a human being. I think she looked pretty damn impressive, considering. If you brought that image of her to someone living in 1954 and told them it's a picture of an 81-year old, they'd laugh you out of the room in utter disbelief. I couldn't believe it at first either, I was thinking she looked 65-ish, but how could she be that young? She's a couple years older than Judi Dench, but looks 20 years younger. I think her surgeon deserves a bonus.

As for Travolta, it's like what do people expect? For him to look exactly the same now as he did in Grease? Almost no one will make it to 81 looking as good as Kim Novak. Though I don't see why she has to try to look so young. If it weren't for the youth-obsessed culture, she might even have let her hair be white. Or Jim Carrey might embrace 50 instead of trying to look 25. If only Billy Wilder were here to see how much the Norma Desmond pathology has overtaken our culture, even in the short time since he died.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:02 am
Producer

Are the Oscars relevant?

Has their bizarre outcomes over the past couple of decades led to a diminishing of their status?

And most importantly, Angelina Jolie - you definitely still would!

Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:57 am
Producer

NotHughGrant wrote:
Are the Oscars relevant?

I think it's nice when good movies get the attention that they might otherwise not have gotten.

Other than that, I have no personal use for a 17 hour telecast of rich people circle-jerking each other and camera operators leering at women in dresses. I'm not sure see how it's relevant to anyone. It's a gussied-up, socially acceptable version of MTV's celebrity-obsessed reality TV.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:27 am
Cinematographer

Convictions wrote:
Vexer wrote:

I wish, but he said that if he got a perfect score no one wins. :cry:. I got one wrong anyways though. )=

Yeah...it's "Beat Berardinelli". Somebody actually has to have a better score than him; not tie. So if he went 100%, then there is no winner this year.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:54 am
Site Admin

Syd Henderson wrote:
He really needs to vote on the short film awards. I went 0-3 this year (and missed documentary, too.)

I'm falling in love with Lupita Nyong'o.

The reason I don't vote on the shorts is because they're complete shots in the dark. I haven't seen anything and there's no buzz to feed off of. Seems rather pointless, like rolling a five-sided die. However, I'm thinking of including them as "extra credit" next year. I still won't vote on them but contestants can do so. For each one they get right, it's an extra point. That theoretically means that I could go perfect and still lose which wasn't the case this year.

If I did that, my ballot would remain hidden until after the contest was locked to avoid people copying my ballot then taking guesses at the shorts.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:10 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Convictions wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Official announcement @ 11:57:01. That's when Smith said "Gravity."

Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:12 am
Profile WWW