Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:04 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
Response thread - Berardinelli's live Oscar night commentary 
Post Re: Response thread - Berardinelli's live Oscar night commentary
Clips from Twilight should have no place in an Oscar telecast.

Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:52 pm
The Artist takes costume design and my ballot looks a little better. That was a tough category to predict, but when in doubt, go with the perceived Best Picture frontrunner.

Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:56 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
Opening was fun, right? Nothing fantastic, but breezy.

Hugo for Cinematography...as much as I like Hugo I'm not a fan of this win. More digital animation than I like in this category. It's like when Avatar won for cinematography, just not as bad.

And...Hugo for Art Direction. A sign that Hugo is going to blow up, or merely that things are going as expected i.e. Hugo will do well in a bunch of technical categories but The Artist will sweep the major awards?

i take offence to that one eddy.
really. because digital cameras work similarly to physical ones, even if lighting techniques differ and no celluloid is involved.

Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:57 pm
Second Unit Director

So, 3 out of 4 at the moment. I am feeling pretty good. :D

Anyways, the one I got wrong was Cinematography and I fully expected Hugo to win it as well. I loved the lenswork in War Horse, The Tree of Life and Hugo, so I wouldn't have felt bad if the other two had won also. The one that I personally preferred was War Horse but no real complaints from me.

Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:03 pm
Profile WWW
The Artist won Best Costume Design. Therefore, The Artist will win Best Picture.

Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:04 pm
Cinematographer

The bit with the actors talking about their first movies was nice filler. I feel like normally I would be annoyed by this point in the broadcast. Maybe its just the fact that Anne Hathaway isn't on stage.

Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:04 pm
Site Admin

darthyoshi wrote:
Yeah, it seems like the Academy is partial to the 3D cinematography thing. I still think that The Tree of Life had much better cinematography overall.

Probably true, but take into consideration how *hated* Malick is in Hollywood and you'll understand why THE TREE OF LIFE won't get anything. It's actually a surprise it managed to get nominated.

Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:05 pm
Profile WWW
aameen wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:
Opening was fun, right? Nothing fantastic, but breezy.

Hugo for Cinematography...as much as I like Hugo I'm not a fan of this win. More digital animation than I like in this category. It's like when Avatar won for cinematography, just not as bad.

And...Hugo for Art Direction. A sign that Hugo is going to blow up, or merely that things are going as expected i.e. Hugo will do well in a bunch of technical categories but The Artist will sweep the major awards?

i take offence to that one eddy.
really. because digital cameras work similarly to physical ones, even if lighting techniques differ and no celluloid is involved.

:shock:

THE aameen?!?

I don't deny that the process is similar. Even for a completed animated film, there has to be a lot of thought put into "framing" the image and so forth. Still, I think lighting is a HUGE part of cinematography. Call me a purist, but I don't think images that are so heavily manipulated by a computer have any place in the traditional cinematography ballot.

Also: Artist for Costume Design means it's going to sweep everything major, yes?

Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:06 pm
Very glad A Separation took foreign language, even though I went for something else. It's really quite excellent and better than everything else in that category, minus Footnote which I haven't seen.

Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:08 pm
Cinematographer

James Berardinelli wrote:
darthyoshi wrote:
Yeah, it seems like the Academy is partial to the 3D cinematography thing. I still think that The Tree of Life had much better cinematography overall.

Probably true, but take into consideration how *hated* Malick is in Hollywood and you'll understand why THE TREE OF LIFE won't get anything. It's actually a surprise it managed to get nominated.

I guess that makes sense. I didn't know about Malick's reputation; but the only thing that I had for The Tree of Life was cinematography.

Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:10 pm
James Berardinelli wrote:
darthyoshi wrote:

And I had him as Best Director....there goes my ballot....if I cared enough to remember what I put on.

Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:10 pm
Still don't get why that performance is so well-regarded...

Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:13 pm
Pedro wrote:
Very glad A Separation took foreign language, even though I went for something else. It's really quite excellent and better than everything else in that category, minus Footnote which I haven't seen.

Imma Patrick Swayze you and say "Ditto". I haven't actually seen any of the other nominees, but A Separation is probably the best of ALL the nominees tonight. Very glad it won. Would be even happier if it managed to snap a Screenplay win too, but the chances of that happening are incredibly slim.

Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:15 pm
Cinematographer

Blonde Almond wrote:

Octavia Spencer? I thought she totally deserved that one. She was by far the best part of The Help.

Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:16 pm
Blonde Almond wrote:

If it makes you feel better, ReelViews isn't a fan. And our nominations are better, anyway. :)

Blonde Almond wrote:

Absolutely agree. It's too showy and more than a little out of place in the picture. I'm cool with Viola Davis winning her category, but Spencer wasn't even the Best Supporting Actress in The Help, much less of the whole year.

Pedro wrote:
Blonde Almond wrote:

If it makes you feel better, ReelViews isn't a fan. And our nominations are better, anyway. :)

They really are. Any word on a deadline for voting? We have 60+ guests viewing. Un-lurk, guys and gals. Join the conversation :)

Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:19 pm
Cinematographer

ed_metal_head wrote:
Blonde Almond wrote:

Absolutely agree. It's too showy and more than a little out of place in the picture. I'm cool with Viola Davis winning her category, but Spencer wasn't even the Best Supporting Actress in The Help, much less of the whole year.

I don't know, I wasn't that into Jessica Chastain. I would have liked to see more of Viola Davis, she was really only there for the first 45 and the last 30 minutes. Just because of that I'm not sure she should win, even though it's likely she will.

Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:20 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
Pedro wrote:
Blonde Almond wrote:

They really are. Any word on a deadline for voting? We have 60+ guests viewing. Un-lurk, guys and gals. Join the conversation :)

A week from today by midnight sounds good to me.

Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:20 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
Pedro wrote:
Blonde Almond wrote:

Ed....remember that newbies can only register on weekends and then be approved by JB? And JB is far too pre-occupied with Billy Crystal to get newbies in.

Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:21 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next