Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:03 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
The Third Annual ReelViews Academy Awards 
Post The Third Annual ReelViews Academy Awards
READ THIS TOPIC BEFORE VOTING.

Hello there, ReelViews board members. My name's Pedro, and I'm here to announce the third annual ReelViews Academy Awards!

You'll have to pardon me: as usual, much of this post is going to be a regurgitation of last year's thread, with some slight changes.

Anyway, giving credit where credit is due, p604 came up with the idea. His thought process was, "Everyone complains about the Oscars. Why don't we have our own?" It's brilliant. Here's how it works:

1. Anyone (that's you!) can vote for nominees, so long as you're signed up on the board. Make sure your votes are for who YOU want to win. If you think The Hangover Part II's the best film of the year, then damn it vote that way! (I'm looking at you, Vexer, who likes unconventional things.)
2. People who do choose to vote can suggest up to five nominees per category, ranked 1-5 with 1 being the theoretical winner. This applies to all categories INCLUDING Best Picture. If the films are not ranked, I will automatically put them in the order in which they are listed.
3. You don't need to vote for every category.
4. There are twenty-one categories: nineteen that the Academy uses, the Best Ensemble award that SAG uses, and a modified Best Original Score. They are listed at the end of the post, accompanied by a sample ballot.
5. Many documentaries and foreign language films were excluded from the Academy shortlist of said categories. Same goes for make-up, score, and visual effects. IGNORE THIS. If the film came out domestically between January 1, 2011 and December 31, 2011, it's valid for any category. FOR EXAMPLE: Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives (Thailand) came out in March 2011, so it's valid despite being released in 2010 in Thailand. However, Once Upon a Time in Anatolia (Turkey) is not valid because it came out in early January 2012.
6. PM your votes to me, Pedro, to keep the nomination process secretive and exciting and shit.

The voting cut-off is February 23rd at 10:00 AM, though I'd like them sooner.

I've decided to include some category suggestions in case people are confused. I've based their placements on the definition of Lead/Supporting, irrelevant of screen time. PM any other category confusions to me. If I decide you have committed category fraud, I will discard that vote.

Berenice Bejo (The Artist) is a lead. She has too much involvement in the film to be considered anything but, yet the Academy will probably relegate her to the supporting category so she has a higher chance of winning.
Carey Mulligan (Shame), however, is not. Call it a screen time issue, call it a plot issue, call it instinctive, although BAFTA placed her in the lead category, I feel like her role is little more than supporting.
I'd say the cast of Carnage are supporting players. Think of it as Magnolia-light.

Happy voting, fellow members! Don't be shy. If you haven't seen enough films from the year, don't worry about it! Vote on what you know. I want to see a bigger turnout this year!

Best Actor in a Leading Role
Best Actor in a Supporting Role
Best Actress in a Leading Role
Best Actress in a Supporting Role
Best Animated Feature
Best Art Direction
Best Cinematography
Best Costume Design
Best Director
Best Documentary Feature
Best Ensemble Cast
Best Film Editing
Best Foreign Language Film
Best Makeup
Best Picture
Best Sound Editing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdnrfkFywoc the creation of sound effects through various layers of manipulation)
Best Sound Mixing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq6ZXnbbQUY bringing various sound elements together to make a convincing viewing experience)
Best Use of Music (to allow soundtracks and scores based on existing elements)
Best Visual Effects
Best Writing - Adapted Screenplay
Best Writing - Original Screenplay

SAMPLE BALLOT: BEST ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
1. Jean Dujardin - The Artist
2. Johnny Depp - Rango
3. Anton Yelchin - Like Crazy
4. Ralph Fiennes - Coriolanus

And finally, here's a semi-comprehensive list of foreign films that came out domestically in 2010:

Of Gods and Men
Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives
A Separation
A City of Life and Death
Potiche
The Names of Love
Tuesday, After Christmas
Tomboy
The Women on the 6th Floor
Gainsbourg: A Heroic Life
Point Blank
The Tree
The Conquest
In a Better World
How I Ended This Summer
Incendies
13 Assassins
My Afternoons with Margueritte
The Skin I Live In
Hipsters
Le Quattro Volte
Le Havre
Poetry
The Flowers of War
In the Land of Blood and Honey
Circumstance
Life, Above All
Carancho
Kinyarwanda
Even the Rain
Young Goethe in Love
Certified Copy

Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:56 pm
Post Re: The Third Annual ReelViews Academy Awards
And once again I'm reminded that I basically haven't seen a damn thing from 2011. Perhaps if the deadline is June 1st I'll be able to produce a respectable ballot. First time in many, many years where I haven't seen a single foreign language feature.

Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:08 pm
Fuck yeah! You wouldn't believe how happy I was to see this topic up. Looking forward to it. I won't submit any nominees until the deadline date looms. Like Mr. Aphasia, I've seen far too few candidates to produce a respectable list at this time. Still, even at 2-3 movies a week I feel like I will be able to check out a lot of the good stuff. Will just put seeing Real Steel off for a couple of weeks. Come on, Marky Mark, see what you can. Incendies was the bomb until it pushed too far. And Certified Copy is even better!

Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:54 pm
Critic

Would anyone mind if I let my wife submit a ballot? She's not a member of the site, but she's adorable and you shouldn't say no to her. If you say no, she'll put on the sad face. AND I AM POWERLESS AGAINST THE SAD FACE

Attachments:
Whatami.jpg
Whatami.jpg [ 39.95 KiB | Viewed 2795 times ]

Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:25 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
AND I AM POWERLESS AGAINST THE SAD FACE

I'm sure you can 12-step that, James.

Quote:
1. We admitted we were powerless over the sad face - that our lives had become unmanageable.

2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.

3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.

4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.

5. Admitted to God, to ourselves and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.

6. Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.

7. Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.

8. Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.

9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.

10. Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.

11. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.

12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to sad faceoholics and to practice these principles in all our affairs.

Hmmm. Sounds like the sad face has really fucked up your life, Kunz. Sad. Get help.

Last edited by Major Aphasia on Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:06 am
Also: tell your wife she's adorable and that her husband is one swell Son of Abraham.

Sons of Abraham! UNITE!

Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:07 am
J-to-tha-Kazizzle:

Your wife can vote in my stead. I still have plenty of catching up to do, and there's no way I'll be fighting fit by game day.

How many more cliches can I get here? Let's see...

1. Tell her to turn that frown upside down.
2. She should exchange her sad face for her game face.
3. She should, uh...

Give it 110%!

Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:34 am
Pedro wrote:
Don't be shy. If you haven't seen enough films from the year, don't worry about it! Vote on what you know. I want to see a bigger turnout this year!

I agree very much with this and am more of a fan of the Pedros (which these still need to be called) than it probably seems I am. I love this and people need to vote (even Ken) no matter what.

A couple questions that may have already been answered...

Are we going with 10 Best Picture nominees?

Are we allowed to offer "for your consideration" ideas? Should there be a thread for this?

Is this going to promoted beyond this sub-forum? I very accidently stumbled across it...I think something needs to be said elsewhere to get more peeps voting.

Would JB promote this? Perhaps he could be convinced that it's important to hear the thoughts of his readers? Could we entice him with our previous nominations of Dogtooth, Enter the Void, Exit Through the Gift Shop, 35 Shots of Rum, Girlfriend Experience? Would he offer a 2-sentence Reelthought shout-out or a tweet to get readers who don't frequent the forums to vote? Would we want this, or do we just want forum regulars?

Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:37 pm
I think Shade's questions are valid (I'm in favor of promoting The Pedros all over the forums) and have no problem at all with the lovely Mrs. Kunz participating (and if you do, you're probably kind of a jerk). Really the only purpose of my post is to say this:

I'm fucking estatic for The Pedros. I care more about the results of these than I do the Oscars. I'll let you decide if that's awesome or pathetic for yourself.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:06 pm
Critic

I'm really excited too. So much so that I'm writing this not very essential post so that it will bump the thread.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:26 pm
I'll defer to Pedro for a ruling since it's THE PEDROS and all, but I'm totally cool with Mrs. Kunz submitting a ballot. Let's hope that she has better taste in movies than Mr. Kunz ;)

Shade wrote:
A couple questions that may have already been answered...

Again, Pedro is the best person to answer these but since he hasn't posted yet I will happily offer speculation to BUMP this sucker to the top...

Shade wrote:
Are we going with 10 Best Picture nominees?

I think we're submitting 5 nominees. Not sure how many nominees Pedro will pull from all our votes. We went with 10 last year, but the number of BP Academy nominees is a mystery this year (something between 5-10).

Shade wrote:
Are we allowed to offer "for your consideration" ideas? Should there be a thread for this?

I think there can be many different threads. Again, I seem to remember Pedro actually doing "For Your Consideration" threads a couple of years ago. There was one for 35 Shots of Rum, no?

Shade wrote:
Is this going to promoted beyond this sub-forum? I very accidently stumbled across it...I think something needs to be said elsewhere to get more peeps voting.

I think last year Pedro actually ended up calling people out to vote. There's apathy and sometimes folks forget. Last year I started pimping the awards in my signature. It's there again this year (and has been for a few days) but I suppose people don't pay much attention to sigs. In short: I'm all for promotion. Let's all do what we can.

Shade wrote:
Would JB promote this? Perhaps he could be convinced that it's important to hear the thoughts of his readers? Could we entice him with our previous nominations of Dogtooth, Enter the Void, Exit Through the Gift Shop, 35 Shots of Rum, Girlfriend Experience? Would he offer a 2-sentence Reelthought shout-out or a tweet to get readers who don't frequent the forums to vote? Would we want this, or do we just want forum regulars?

I actually asked him to pimp our first awards. He said he'd give it a shout during his oscar preview or something. In the end I think he didn't even write an oscar preview. Suppose he might have forgotten. I think it's a great idea for him to mention it though. It would certainly cause a few new people to register. More registered members -> more sight traffic -> more ad revenue. Or so I hope. I'm up for asking again. And, yeah, I don't at all think it should be regulars only. I'm very happy if a newly registered user takes part. I think that should be part of the point of these awards.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:54 pm
In short: yes, no, yes, hopefully, probably not. Will have longer replies when can form centenses.

Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:56 am
I just listed my 2011 viewings. Total of 18, which is good for me, but definitely has some major gaps. Foreign films, for example. I think I only saw I Saw the Devil (2011, right?). Documentaries, also, as is every year. Conan O'Brien Can't Stop qualifies, yes? Not that I would or wouldn't include these in The Pedros...just saying that's all I've seen.

Asking for help here guys. What movies can/should I get in before our deadline? I should mentioned I haven't seen The Tree of Life, Moneyball, 50/50, Ides of March, Hugo, MMMM, The Descendants, The Artist, Shame, TTSS, Tin Tin...

I'm thinking definitely Tree of Life. I don't know why I haven't seen Hugo. Ed_the_Head has been singing the Certified Copy praises. Zep loves him some *longest foreign film title by long directors name*. I'm just trying to cut through the crap and get into the good stuff...

Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:40 pm
Certified Copy is available on Netflix streaming right now if anyone is interested. I plan on checking it out within the next few days. For purely selfish reasons whoever reads this should do the same.

Ram - my favorites from your list (haven't seen them all) are TTSS and Hugo. I'd say definitely check them out, but you should probably check out as many of them as you can before the deadline. It seems like each movie has its supporters and detractors on the forum.

Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:23 pm
Time to answer some questions!

James's wife voting is an interesting concern to me. She's not a member, but she may as well be. Phil's had at least a few of his lady friends register for the forum and their contributions to discussions have been less than minimal, so... what's the difference, I guess? I wonder, if we allow Inna to vote, what about other people? Like, can my mother vote? She's seen most of the stuff I've seen this year. Plus, I tell her about you guys. She knows your secrets. All of them.

Ken should vote even though he's only seen negative two films from 2011. I'm also quite adamant about Vexer and MGamesCook voting.

Regarding Best Picture: I'm going to play around with the scoring system a bit for all of the categories, so only put up to five movies per category. This may or may not lead to more or less nominees per category in the end.

Please offer FYC ideas! I'll start a thread momentarily.

I've always admired Ed for promoting the contest in his signature, but that's probably not enough. If this doesn't garner enough attention in the coming days or weeks, I'll see if I can sticky the thread in the general movie discussion area. In the long run, any related topics will end up in this subforum. James's involvement should be limited to sending me his choices (which, he won't).

Anyone who's registered can vote and while it's admirable for newbies to join in the fun, I just don't see it happening from a logistic standpoint. I mean, fuck, a lot of the regulars here probably won't even participate.

This leads me back to the Kunzer's wife: she's like an honorary member. She doesn't contribute in posts, but she contributes by keeping Kunz honest and being an important component of his life. Bottom line, I'm cool with it. Case by case basis, though. Ken's lady can vote if she wants. Pete's lady can vote if she wants. One member of Vexer's family can vote if they want. MGamesCook, on the other hand, is a debating machine that exists in this weird vacuum where only Steven Spielberg and Anthony Mann exist peacefully and it doesn't make any sense to me for his lady or friend or family member to vote. Aside from his taste in film, I don't know anything about that guy. You see where I'm going with this? Feel free to make a case if it's important to you, though.

Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:01 am
Second Unit Director

I'd really like to vote for this one and I probably will. However, I've not seen any of the the December releases and that is where a lot of the nominations are coming from. Since there is no cut-off provided at this point of time, I am going to squeeze in as much of those films as I can. When you announce the cut-off, I'll probably vote for all the films I've seen till then.

Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:02 am
Profile WWW
ram1312 wrote:
Asking for help here guys. What movies can/should I get in before our deadline? I should mentioned I haven't seen The Tree of Life, Moneyball, 50/50, Ides of March, Hugo, MMMM, The Descendants, The Artist, Shame, TTSS, Tin Tin...

I'm thinking definitely Tree of Life. I don't know why I haven't seen Hugo. Ed_the_Head has been singing the Certified Copy praises. Zep loves him some *longest foreign film title by long directors name*. I'm just trying to cut through the crap and get into the good stuff...

I suppose I've seen a few more than you, but overall I have the same problem. You've seen Drive though, so there's that. Of the two I've seen from your list, I don't think that The Ides of March or Moneyball are priority. What I'm trying to do is see movies that I might be able to nominate in multiple categories. So, I haven't seen Tin Tin either, but since that might only qualify in a category or two I'm skipping it for now.

Tree of Life is probably a great choice. I haven't seen it, but do intend to check it out before the deadline. You know what I'd recommend you see (apart from Certified Copy, of course)? Warrior. It's pretty action-packed and entertaining enough that you won't fall asleep. It's also really good. Will certainly be among my nominees in various categories.

Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:56 pm
Tintin is below average Spielberg with only one action scene that really stands out (but boy does it stand out). The comedy falls flat and the characters aren't particularly interesting. Skipping Tintin is a good choice. I would make something like A Separation or Pina priority.

Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:00 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
Tree of Life is probably a great choice. I haven't seen it, but do intend to check it out before the deadline. You know what I'd recommend you see (apart from Certified Copy, of course)? Warrior. It's pretty action-packed and entertaining enough that you won't fall asleep. It's also really good. Will certainly be among my nominees in various categories.

YES! I saw it in theatres, Ed. I liked it quite a bit, although I couldn't help think about that Sparta tournament having fighters in multiple matches in such a short span of time. Not reasonable or safe, but it was the only way to do it in the film. No matter...I was completely absorbed by the work those three actors put in, especially Mr. Nolte. I was expecting one of those cliche underdog stories and was pleasantly surprised with more...you know, family, redemption, forgiveness.

I've got Tree of Life #2 in the q. Bellflower should be in the mailbox (thumbs up JJ). Haven't checked in a while.

Pedro wrote:
I would make something like A Separation or Pina priority.

I can't find these around here. They're "saved" in the queue, but that's about it. The newly opened "arty" movie theatre nearby here has Shame, so there's that. And now TTSS is gone, and Hugo is back.

Listen to my dumb ass. I'm hoping to get to these films, but damnit...

Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:36 pm
Has a deadline been set yet?

Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:40 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next