Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:59 pm

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
For Your Consideration: 35 Shots of Rum 
Post For Your Consideration: 35 Shots of Rum
For Your Consideration in all categories, but particularly in Best Foreign Language Film.

My thoughts on 35 Shots of Rum are probably not very different from the other people who loved it. It's a fairly simple narrative about a widowed man and his daughter. There's a handsome man and a female taxi driver thrown into the mix. The story unfolds slowly, allowing time for sublime character development, symbolism, and even a little mystery. Although there are parts that are sad, I would never call any of the events tragic. All of the characters respond realistically, though their actions are very Parisian. (There are a lot of hugs and kisses and hand holdings the father and daughter do that I'm not at all used to, being a distant American.) On something of a side note, most of the supporting characters plus the father and daughter are black, but I don't think it's trying too hard to say anything about race relations. It just is what it is, which I appreciate. It didn't need to be a mix of Tokyo Story and Do the Right Thing.

I apologize for regurgitating my thoughts from the Last Movie You Watched thread, but the few people who've voted haven't seen many foreign films. Inevitably, I tell them to just pick something to fill up the five spots. Well, I guess if you're going to pick films randomly, I'd love to see this one mentioned. It's quality filmmaking and deserving of a nomination at the very least. I'm sad it didn't receive a wider distribution. The film never reached more than five theaters at a time. FIVE! It probably hit around twenty theaters total, but it was rarely around for more than a week. I had a to make a special trip to San Jose to see it. But damn was it worth it.

Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:52 am
Post Re: For Your Consideration: 35 Shots of Rum
I agree that the film was excellent (#6 on my Best of '09) but recommend people take a look at all the foreign films that were released before arbitrarily selecting the one that has been singled out. The White Ribbon was the best foreign film I saw last year but it was in some outstanding company: Sin Nombre, Police, Adjective, The Class, Summer Hours and the wonderful Tokyo Sonata were just a few to see distribution in 2009. While 35 Shots of Rum went un-reviewed by James Berardinelli, virtually every other major critic saw and reviewed the film. I recommend a swing-by of Metacritic to see what was available in 2009 and what the critical consensus had to say.

Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:53 am
Post Re: For Your Consideration: 35 Shots of Rum
majoraphasia wrote:
I agree that the film was excellent (#6 on my Best of '09) but recommend people take a look at all the foreign films that were released before arbitrarily selecting the one that has been singled out. The White Ribbon was the best foreign film I saw last year but it was in some outstanding company: Sin Nombre, Police, Adjective, The Class, Summer Hours and the wonderful Tokyo Sonata were just a few to see distribution in 2009. While 35 Shots of Rum went un-reviewed by James Berardinelli, virtually every other major critic saw and reviewed the film. I recommend a swing-by of Metacritic to see what was available in 2009 and what the critical consensus had to say.

I plan to do similar FYC posts for The Class, Revanche, and You the Living. Everyone's free to make their own.

Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:03 am
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]