Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:22 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
The First Annual ReelViews Academy Awards 
Post The First Annual ReelViews Academy Awards
Hello there, ReelViews board members. My name's Pedro, and I'm here to announce the first annual ReelViews Academy Awards!

*skips opening jokes and formalities*

Anyway, giving credit where credit is due, p604 came up with the idea. His thought process was, "Everyone complains about the Oscars. Why don't we have our own?" It's brilliant. Here's how it works:

1. Anyone (that's you!) can vote for nominees, so long as you're signed up on the board. Make sure your votes are for who YOU want to win. If you think Paranormal Activity's the best film of the year, then damn it vote that way!
2. People who do choose to vote need to suggest five nominees per category, ranked 1-5 with 1 being the theoretical winner. This applies to all categories EXCEPT Best Picture, which should be ranked 1-10 with 1 being the theoretical winner. If the films are not ranked, I will do so alphabetically and no one wants that.
3. You don't need to vote for every category, but I highly recommend it for the sake of consistency. If I'm the only person who does Sound Mixing, I'll be sad.
4. There are twenty-two categories: the twenty-one the Academy uses and the Best Ensemble award that SAG uses. They are listed at the end of the post, accompanied by a sample ballot.
5. Many documentaries and foreign language films were excluded from the Academy shortlist of said categories. Same goes for make-up, score, and visual effects. IGNORE THIS. If the film came out domestically between January 1, 2009 and December 31, 2009, it's valid for any category. FOR EXAMPLE: Everlasting Moments (Sweden) came out in March, so it's valid despite being released in 2008 in Sweden. However, A Prophet (France) is not because it comes out in February, despite its 2009 release date in France.
6. PM your votes to me, Pedro, to keep the nomination process secretive and exciting and shit.

The voting cut-off will be on February 1, 2010 at 11:59 PM PST. Hopefully that will be enough time to see everything of worth. If it's not, I have no problem extending the date. I will announce the ReelViews Oscar nominations on the third, the day after the Academy Award nominations are announced. That'll give time to digest and whatnot. I will announce the ReelViews Oscar winners some time after that. The winners will simply be the most voted-on film from the nominations. There will be no re-voting once the nominations are announced.

I've decided to include some category suggestions in case people are confused. I've based their placements on the definition of Lead/Supporting, irrelevant of screen time. PM any other category confusions to me.

Gyllenhaal, Maguire, and Portman (Brothers) would be up for Best Actor/Actress in a Leading Role.
Melanie Laurent (Inglourious Basterds) would be up for Best Actress in a Leading Role. Likewise, Brad Pitt would be up for Best Actor in a Leading Role. There are two clear storylines in Inglourious Basterds, and they revolve around Laurent's character and the Basterds. Christoph Waltz's character supports both storylines, and is therefore a supporting actor.
Maggie Gyllenhaal (Crazy Heart) would be up for Best Actress in a Leading Role. I think.
Marion Cotillard (Nine) would be up for Best Actress in a Leading Role.
Marion Cotillard (Public Enemies) would also be up for Best Actress in a Leading Role. Her placement in supporting is purely for marketing reasons.
Helen Mirren (The Last Station) is a mystery to me. Christopher Plummer is definitely up for Best Supporting Actor, so it would make sense Helen Mirren be up for Best Supporting Actress being that she's his wife in the film. However, I haven't seen the movie. Let's just say she's Best Actress in a Leading Role, because the trailer infers her role might be more than just Tolstoy's wife.
Jane Campion's Bright Star is an adapted screenplay.
Oh, and The White Ribbon came out on December 30, 2009, by the way. It's eligible for Best Foreign Language Film and nearly everything else.

Happy voting, fellow members! Don't be shy. If you haven't seen enough films from the year, don't worry about it! Vote on what you know. Academy members vote on For Your Consideration ads and who's marketed the most. If we could avoid that to the best of our ability and stay true to who we think is the best, I'll be happy. Also, it's up to you to differentiate between best and favorite.

Best Actor in a Leading Role
Best Actor in a Supporting Role
Best Actress in a Leading Role
Best Actress in a Supporting Role
Best Animated Feature
Best Art Direction
Best Cinematography
Best Costume Design
Best Director
Best Documentary Feature
Best Ensemble Cast
Best Film Editing
Best Foreign Language Film
Best Makeup
Best Original Score
Best Original Song (http://snarkerati.com/movie-news/oscar-original-song-shortlist-announced/)
Best Picture
Best Sound Editing (the creation of sound effects)
Best Sound Mixing (the use of sound itself)
Best Visual Effects
Best Writing - Adapted Screenplay
Best Writing - Original Screenplay

SAMPLE BALLOT: BEST ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
1. Sam Rockwell - Moon
2. Ed Asner - Up
3. James MacAvoy - The Last Station
4. Nicolas Cage - The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans
5. Paul Rudd - I Love You, Man

For more information and questions/comments see this thread.

Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:59 am
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]