Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:29 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
The Third Annual ReelViews Academy Award Winners! 
Post Re: The Third Annual ReelViews Academy Award Winners!
Excellent!

I'm genuinely and pleasantly surprised. I thought Drive would win Best Picture and I'm really impressed with the way we shared the love. A Separation for Best Picture, Drive for Director and Tinker Tailor for Best Ensemble? Hell yes!!! Those are three very well thought out choices and it shows that we didn't just autopilot vote. I've always loved our winners more than the Oscars, but this year I think we really nailed it. By far, my favourite of the three Pedros.

To Pedro: thanks again for doing this. Are the auditors down with releasing any voting statistics? I'd love to know how many people voted. I'm assuming we had a good turnout this year.

Bones wrote:
Wow! I was way off in my predictions (and in my votes, but that's ok). What interesting, well-informed winners. And wow Michael Shannon. Look at the rest of those guys--especially Clooney and Fassbender--they can't believe it!

Yeah, Shannon was my top choice but I did a double take when I saw that he won. I had not realised that enough people saw Take Shelter so this was a nice surprise. I do really love Fassbender, but I still haven't seen Shame (which is a shame :D )

Balaji Sivaraman wrote:
[*]Bit sad to see Certified Copy not winning best Original Screenplay. Although I loved A Separation, I thought the screenplay for CC was much better. But then again my favorite Margin Call was not even nominated.

Agreed. Certified Copy was my top choice in most categories but it would appear that it was not as widely seen as A Separation which is a little weird considering it's been out much longer. I did nominate Margin Call, but it was in the Best Costume category. Those were some crisp business suits!

ram1312 wrote:
We really enjoyed the craft of Drive, right? The way it was put together. And I completely agree. I try to recommend the film to people, but get lost in trying to explain the plot. It's not about the plot though, it's about the style of it all. I've said it before, but I feel that movie. The direction, the cinematography, the editing, the acting, but mostly, the music gets me in a mood I can't describe. Really happy we awarded the film like we did.

Well put. It's certainly a mood piece. And, it's easy to confuse it as an exercise of style over substance. Drive is style as substance. And that's cool. Very cool.

Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:49 pm
Post Re: The Third Annual ReelViews Academy Award Winners!
ed_metal_head wrote:
To Pedro: thanks again for doing this. Are the auditors down with releasing any voting statistics? I'd love to know how many people voted. I'm assuming we had a good turnout this year.

Yes...Pedro, guys. How do we all feel about this? I'm really curious about it, as well.

Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:29 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2