Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:19 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
Directors Guild of America Nominations 
Post Directors Guild of America Nominations
Kathryn Bigelow - The Hurt Locker
James Cameron - Avatar
Quentin Tarantino - Inglourious Basterds
Jason Reitman - Up in the Air
Lee Daniels - Precious

WHAT DOES THIS MEANS?

Well, it basically means any hope of Neill Blomkamp, J.J. Abrams, or the Coen brothers getting an Oscar nomination are gone. I wouldn't count out Clint Eastwood or Lone Scherfig, but... well, there you have it.

Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:42 pm
Director

Post Re: Directors Guild of America Nominations
It's between Bigelow, Cameron and Tarentino. The other two films are the dark horses.

Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:04 pm
Profile YIM
I think it's between Bigelow and Cameron, which is a shame, because Cameron doesn't deserve this particular recognition (IMO).

Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:11 pm
Of the 4 of these films I've seen, I'd rank the directorial efforts like so:

1. Tarantino - Superlatives won't do it justice. The lengthy shot at the premiere that begins with Shoshanna walking down the steps and ends with Landa talking to the Basterds that's used to combine the 2 narratives of the film is more clever, subtle, and plain better than anything I've seen in film this year. And that's probably the 6th or 7th best single shot of the film.
2. Reitman - Excellent job. He crafted a largely metaphorical tale within a realistic environment almost flawlessly. Never felt heavy handed, used the cast well, and was very well crafted.
3. Cameron - Made huge technical strides, but the film had pacing issues and the "eye" motif was used about 10,000 times too many.
4. Daniels - He got good performances, had some visual flourishes and interesting ideas. Overall, a solid job with an incredibly weak script.

I'll be seeing The Hurt Locker this week, and will adjust my rankings accordingly. I doubt Tarantino will win, but he deseves it. The Hurt Locker and Up in the Air seem to be getting most of the Oscar buzz, so my money is on Reitman or Bigelow. Would Bigelow be the first female to win the award? If so, it'll probably be her. Plus, Reitman is only like 31, so the Academy will think he has plenty of time to get his Oscar (stupid logic, but it's how they work).

EDIT: After seeing The Hurt Locker, I'd rank Bigelow at #2. I was very impressed with the film, specifically the direction. Excellent action sequences that served the points the film was trying to make. I just hope Cameron doesn't win this award or the Oscar. Tarantino, Bigelow, and Reitman were all better and all 3 are deserving.

Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:30 am
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]